Gumball to France in 2006?

Dragonball

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Warning to all.....some european breakdown companies only ask for your license plate and assume the manufacturer date will correspond to that. Obviously with an import it won't. This will make them thinking that you have a 2 year old car whereas it may be 12 years old and will invalidate any cover provided (it costs extra for cars of 11 years old). Go with Direct Line as it costs £15 for 2 days of breakdonw cover regardless of age.

Do Sky's policies extend to Europe anyone?

have you got a link for direct line euro cover?

Just sorted my European Breakdown cover from Direct Line - £15.72 (Thanks for the reference guys - RAC wanted £22).

My insurance with Elephant already covers travelling to Europe! BARGAIN!

Just need to nip down the local motor shop to pick up warning triangle, GB sticker, etc, etc...

Paul You have PM - My passenger is my GF - Lucy Evans, a change from the very first person stated at the start of this trip.

Just need to nip down the local motor shop to pick up warning triangle, GB sticker, etc, etc...

do you HAVE to have GB sticker and warning triangle? am i tempting fate here by saying its all useless shite?:D

Just added the extra cover for that weekend under my Admiral insurance for 9 quid... :D

I'm just too excited now, might go pick up a select GB sticker from halfrauds after work.

Paul, I hope you got my email dude!

do you HAVE to have GB sticker and warning triangle? am i tempting fate here by saying its all useless shite?:D

You don't need a warning triangle in France. If you don't have EU style number plates with GB on then in theory you need a GB sticker.

You don't need a warning triangle in France. If you don't have EU style number plates with GB on then in theory you need a GB sticker.

mmm think you will find you do need the triangle,well i hope i have not bought this for bugger all :(

Basically...I never have a GB Sticker or any of that jazz, however considering the fact that there could be a possibility that the Gendarmes might pay slightly more interest to us than normal..id say...try and be as legal as possible, so they can't Knit Pick:p

i dont really fancy sticking a big GB sticker anywhere on the car...im thinking of buying one and taking it with, then if its definately required i can put it on when needed.

just checked my insurance and im covered in my current policy to drive in Europe. :)

also gonna do the direct line breakdown i think...

Its actually law in some european countries that you carry a warning triangle and spare bulbs. If you are unlucky enough to get stopped by the rozzers and they want to get picky???

Forewarned is forearmed as they say

copied this off a driving in France site

Replacement bulb set recommended.

Children in cars: children under 10 are not allowed in the front. In the rear they must use a proper restraint system appropriate to their weight, which means a child seat if they weigh between 9 and 15 kg. Over this weight they can use seat belts with a booster cushion.

Documentation: always carry your driving licence, vehicle registration document (V5), and certificate of motor insurance. If your licence does not incorporate a photograph ensure you carry your passport to validate the licence. If the vehicle is not registered in your name, carry a letter from the registered owner giving you permission to drive.

Drinking and driving: Don't do it. Over 0.05 per cent and you could face anything up to imprisonment.

Fines: On the spot fines are issued. Ensure an official receipt is issued by the officer collecting the fine.

First-aid kit is advised, but not compulsory.

Fuel: All grades of unleaded petrol, diesel and LPG are available as well as lead substitute additive. Leaded no longer exists. It is allowed to carry petrol in a can. Credit and debit cards are widely accepted, although they probably won't work at automatic pumps, which are often the only pumps in rural areas open out-of-hours, which also means lunch-time form noon to 3pm. It's a good idea to let your card issuer know you will be travelling abroad. This ensures they don't suspend your card if they spot it being used in unfamiliar places, which they sometimes do as an anti-fraud measure.

GB sticker: UK registered vehicles displaying Euro-plates (circle of 12 stars above the national identifier on blue background) no longer need a GB sticker when driving in European Union countries.

Headlamp converters are compulsory.

Lights: dipped headlights must be used in poor daytime visibility. Motorcycles over 125cc must use dipped headlights during the day at all times.

Minimum age for driving, provided you hold a full UK licence, is 18 for a car and a motorcycle over 125cc and 15 for a motorcycle under 125cc.

Motorcycle drivers and passengers must wear crash helmets.

Motor insurance: third-party insurance is compulsory. A green card is not required but your insurer should be advised of your trip.

Seat belts are compulsory for front and rear seat occupants, if fitted.

Visibility Vests are now compulsory in Italy, Austria and Spain (and likely to become compulsory throughout the EU) if you need to walk on a motorway. In Spain we've been told you need a vest for every potential occupant of the car, and that they must be carried inside the car, rather than in the boot. Other sources have said you don't have to carry one, but if you breakdown on the motorway you will be breaking the law if you walk to an emergency phone without one. We're trying to clarify the position.

Warning triangle is highly recommended, although hazard flashers can be used. One or the other is compulsory.

Any thoughts on the potential menu selection

Do the Veggies eat fish?

Dîner du 20 mai 2006

Terrine de canard aux olives et ses condiments (Duck Liver pate with olives)

Suprême de volaille sauce vigneronne (Supreme of chicken with a red wine sauce)

Poêlée de légumes forestière

Gratin dauphinois (vegetable and potatoes)

Feuillantine au chocolat (Chocolate and pastry dessert)

Pour les 6 végétariens :

Assiette du Maraîcher

Pizza végétarienne (2 pers)

Pavé de saumon grillé (4 pers)

Poêlée de légumes forestière

Riz sauvage

Salade de fruits frais

Merci de confirmer