The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Uk man tt

leeg

For an investment, depending on how long you have it for, you definitely want a facelift J-Spec 6-Speed, this is down to the fact that the US market will go crazy over the J-Specs as soon as they can get them there legally, they won't be bothered about the UK specs.

Oh yeah completely didn't think about that, when is it they can go over to the US? Also thought I might have read somewhere that its an age thing for the car's, but even so they might still not be allowed into the US?

Oh yeah completely didn't think about that, when is it they can go over to the US? Also thought I might have read somewhere that its an age thing for the car's, but even so they might still not be allowed into the US?

Automatic approval at 25 years old, so 5 years time, but usually once the earliest year gets approval(a 93 J-Spec), the rest of the models will go flooding through under the same approval.

Automatic approval at 25 years old, so 5 years time, but usually once the earliest year gets approval(a 93 J-Spec), the rest of the models will go flooding through under the same approval.

You will only be able to import each model at 25 years old, 93 is 2018, 94 2019, 95 2020 etc.. I have researched this until I was blue in the face, each year has to wait the 25 to be importable under the classic car category of importation. No way around this unless someone wants to do crash testing on 6(?) models and provide the crash data for FMVSS/DOT/NHTSA. This whole process isn't worth the few extra years of waiting to get them back.

Buuuuut...... A clean, low mileage 6 speed import will be a far better investment than a high miles, rusty UK car, and available for the same money.

:yeahthat:

The only reason to buy a UK Supra over a J-spec Supra is for the rarity value.

You will only be able to import each model at 25 years old, 93 is 2018, 94 2019, 95 2020 etc.. I have researched this until I was blue in the face, each year has to wait the 25 to be importable under the classic car category of importation. No way around this unless someone wants to do crash testing on 6(?) models and provide the crash data for FMVSS/DOT/NHTSA. This whole process isn't worth the few extra years of waiting to get them back.

There are other ways, you can ship engine and chassis separately and register it as a kit car, you can take it and register it in Canada first and then take it into the states. Also, one thing to note is that the Americans do car models differently, for instance, you should have no problem taking across a 96 Supra and declaring it as a 93 model.

You can also have a car on foreing plates for up to 12 months in the states, so aslong as you can prove that that the car went back to it's registered country once a year, you can do it that way, obviously, it's not so easy on a car running Japanese or UK plates, but Canadian/Mexican is do-able.

My uk auto has run up 140K ive put 40 on in 9yrs but engine is still fantastic and drives like a dream altho ive had off the road for past 18mths

an rz J spec you pick up for better money an prob far lower miles for a more sensible price

altho with only 600 UK spec cars being made ive no doubt that they'll always retain more money espesially for a tidy one

As it goes its been said that if not for the j spec model the uk car would retain a figure closer to the likes of the nsx !!!!!!!

uk cars thin pickings tho more likely to find something to your fancy on jspec

good luck bud

Mine is standard bar the exhaust and head unit both of which I have the orginal to put back to standard should I ever come to sell. I didn't buy mine solely as an investment but I am keeping for the long haul, can't see me selling in thenext five years or even 15 for that matter. Love this car :)

Edited by Tyson (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

The 25 year mark for the states starts on the year it was build, not the year of the model. After 21 years the cars are exempt for EPA but needs to be 25 for DOD. If you ship it as a kit car you can't drive it much, and has to pass all these safety tests. If your moving to California smog is a lot more stricter then other areas ie. Texas where you can run straight pipes. You have to get a new VIN number for the car if your registering it as a kit car. Doing that insurance won't cover it properly. In California one of the things you have to do is take it to the highway patrol to get it identified. If you don't have any good friends in the CHP business then most likely they'll report it as a Supra (unless the tard doesn't know the type of car). I don't know how it is in other states, I'm speaking in a California point I'm sure other areas it's more lenient. I have a friend that bought two c10 Skylines from Mexico and registered them as a 240sx insurance isn't at its fullest, but it is possible shipping it to the states. Once the 25 year mark hits though registering it legally is a lot easier. If you'r planning on taking it to the states, I advise you to keep the body as stock as possible. Body kits and such aren't that attractive anymore, unless you find a teenager.

Edited by Wingnut (see edit history)