The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New owner - And so the project begins...

That_Supra_Guy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work. Why not go for a Tein green in your bay? Not too bright and works well with silver. :)

That's the plan once I've got all the niggles sorted man, but the green anodized colour strictly so Cam gears, few custom metal bits and bobs, new silicone hose set in black would be nice to break things up a little. You're right, it works pretty sweet with the silver especially the flatter primer type grey in the bay itself. cheers :)

- - - Updated - - -

Looks brilliant, I love the do it yourself attitude, I built my NA manual up from scratch over a couple of years. Learnt loads, loved doing it. Keep it up mate

Cheers mate, that was always the plan! I would never have bought myself a mint condition number, love what I'm learning so far.

I'd been having issues when sat at idle, so when I started from cold she'd sit at 2000rpm for a good minute or 2 then drop down eventually after an age to 800ish. That's not too much of a nuisance. Problem I noticed was that after she'd all heated up and then sat at idle after a drive the revs every minute or so would jump up to 1500 from 800ish without me touching a thing; damn embarrassing sitting at a packed drive-thru :( (along with that damn heatshield :() Anyways, after a little digging I found in the FAQ part the guide on cleaning the ICV, So gave it a try.

The valve itself is different on the NA as a I found out however the sensor assembly part looked the same, here's what mines looked like:

attachment.php?attachmentid=171747&stc=1&d=1372445957

Pretty damn manky. After a quick clean down with some aerosol degreaser and a rag, the sensor head was all shiny and new:

attachment.php?attachmentid=171748&stc=1&d=1372445957

Also gave the other half to this (airbox/Throttlebody(?)) a quick clean with a rag and then fired it all back in (With allen key bolts, those phillips ones are a nightmare to remove D:)

Started her up and let her sat, all the idling problems sorted! Running much better from cold and once heated up doesn't do that annoying self revving business. :D

The moral of the story: get it done, providing your screws aren't too much of a pain to get off it takes no more than 10-15 mins and gives nice consistent idle numbers :D

DSCN0917.JPG

DSCN0923.JPG

Welcome mate....if you need any parts (fuel tank cover get in touch with Keron. sent me a cracker for £35) Plenty progress already. Don't think about putting a big single turbo in it. With your training I can't wait for you to getting down to sticking a harrier jump jet engine in it. Cheers ray

Welcome mate....if you need any parts (fuel tank cover get in touch with Keron. sent me a cracker for £35) Plenty progress already. Don't think about putting a big single turbo in it. With your training I can't wait for you to getting down to sticking a harrier jump jet engine in it. Cheers ray

Fuel tank cover's getting replaced just shortly after my skirts are sorted/replaced, I'll keep that in mind buddy :thumbs:

Haha if only it were that easy!

Small update: Basically decided that the driver's side skirt has had it, much worse than I first thought :( So with that, I've got some DO-LUCK replicas(cause I'm skint :p) that I'll be moulding the vents from the OEM skirts into, which should give me the start of the look I'm after. I'll get updating as I get them/begin modifying them :D

Got my new skirts today! Do luck reps (I'm largely poor at the moment :blink:) I'll be getting these fitted up over the next few days along with the vent additions/bracket swaps which I'll keep track of with a million or so photos for future reference :)

Test fitted the pax side today and they seem to be fairly decent for replicas, a few tweaks here and there but that's expected.

attachment.php?attachmentid=172072&stc=1&d=1373064046

attachment.php?attachmentid=172073&stc=1&d=1373064046

Needing these bad boys all finished and fitted along with a lip refurb on my wheels (needing a good polish) and a few other odds and ends in time for the scottish car show on the 21st.

1012360_10200691642151751_1701951299_n.jpg

1013957_10200691641471734_836546102_n.jpg

Mega progress on the beast, got the first OEM moulded vent fixed in to the skirt tonight, fitment is pretty darn good considering I'm a newbie to fitting body work. Obviously a fair bit to go with the filler top coat/final shaping and the finishing off ready for paint, also got a couple more small tabs to fibre glass in and the front mount needs moulded in as well.

Hopefully have this and the other side finished and prepped ready for paint by tomorrow/saturday all in time for the scottish car show!

attachment.php?attachmentid=172266&stc=1&d=1373576737

attachment.php?attachmentid=172267&stc=1&d=1373576737

attachment.php?attachmentid=172265&stc=1&d=1373576737

attachment.php?attachmentid=172269&stc=1&d=1373576737

attachment.php?attachmentid=172268&stc=1&d=1373576737

DSCN1033.JPG

DSCN1035.jpg

DSCN1036.jpg

DSCN1034.JPG

DSCN1042.jpg

Well that's one vent all moulded in and smoothened off with a few built up layers of filler (few tiny blemishes to sort tomorrow); turned out pretty swell. Added another mounting tab at the top to follow round the wheel arch as an additional securing bracket. Still got the front mount to mould in and the other side to do allllllll over again :|

attachment.php?attachmentid=172309&stc=1&d=1373665229

attachment.php?attachmentid=172310&stc=1&d=1373665229

attachment.php?attachmentid=172311&stc=1&d=1373665229

attachment.php?attachmentid=172312&stc=1&d=1373665229

DSCN1052.JPG

DSCN1051.JPG

DSCN1050.JPG

DSCN1049.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Now that the scottish car show has gone and passed, I can get cracking with Sophie (Car's name, don't be judging :rolleyes:). The skirts were almost a disaster, I had to remould them, fit them up and tweak 1.2 million times to get an acceptable fitment, then paint them over three days in 5 days. So they didn't turn out great, I've learned my lesson on Ebay specials :(. Anyways, for the time I had and considering it was a rattle can job (which I haven't rubbed back and polished yet) they don't look so bad from a reasonable distance, pretty stoked with the outcome of the vents I moulded in :)

Here's some pics before and during the show: gave the interior a proper clean, and decided that once it's dry, the carpets getting dyed black, it's horrid. Also check the cancer stick ashes, someone apparently missed the ash tray :search: :

attachment.php?attachmentid=173074&stc=1&d=1375124037

attachment.php?attachmentid=173075&stc=1&d=1375124037

attachment.php?attachmentid=173076&stc=1&d=1375124037

attachment.php?attachmentid=173077&stc=1&d=1375124037

Check the serious lack of poke happening with the wheels.....this is my next project, getting a decent fitment happening, I'm aiming for a little lower and a wider, arch filling stance. Also got a jap plate to get for the rear, new gear Status error gear knob to fit. Plenty to do as things progress! steering wheel and some other goodies planned for next week too, so watch this space ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=173078&stc=1&d=1375124037

DSCN1053.JPG

DSCN1054.JPG

DSCN1056.JPG

DSCN1078.JPG

561771_10200822460942139_671423643_n.jpg

Good work so far mate!

It always makes me think, when I see threads like this, that I should really pull my finger out and get more done to mine. You're showing me up!!

Cheers man, if you're social at all then this amount of work is hard to contend with haha, I spend all my time working for parts for and working on this, wouldn't have things any other way though!

Got myself one of them new status error gear knobs and a 9 quid suede ebay gaitor. Minus the slight fitment issue with the rubber (will sort asap) they look pretty sick. The old ones were both past it. And an air freshener along with them, I just had to:

attachment.php?attachmentid=173120&stc=1&d=1375218681

Next up: new steering wheel and snap off boss, I hope!

DSCN1142.JPG

Great effort mate, you don't hang about do you!

With regards to ;

-metallic knocking sound underneath my drivers seat, sounding suspiciously like either a loose heat shield/trapped stone - anyone had similar issues?

I had a stone trapped on a small shelf in my old mkiii supra years ago but it's most likely the heat shield as you say. I've heard of folk ripping them off but when it happened to mine a large jubilee clip tightened round it stopped the horrible rattle.

Great effort mate, you don't hang about do you!

With regards to ;

-metallic knocking sound underneath my drivers seat, sounding suspiciously like either a loose heat shield/trapped stone - anyone had similar issues?

I had a stone trapped on a small shelf in my old mkiii supra years ago but it's most likely the heat shield as you say. I've heard of folk ripping them off but when it happened to mine a large jubilee clip tightened round it stopped the horrible rattle.

I like getting things done asap :D. Actually had it removed last week only to find there wasn't actually a CAT there :L strange one....but the noise was definitely that. Cheers :D