The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New owner - And so the project begins...

That_Supra_Guy

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winter rebuild has begun! The plan is:

- full suspension assembly rebuild (subframes coming out), including all new bushes, sand blasting and repaint.

-complete clean up underneath

-full brake overhaul.

-engine bay valet (engines coming out)

-rebuilding the head including all new valve stem oil seals, possible cams, springs and any other work thats required.

-depending on cash once the suspension stuffs done, she'll be getting a turbo! Aiming for between 350-400bhp depending on what set up I can stretch to.

-details to finish, body work, wheel refurb, custom exhaust, bracing etc.

I plan to do most of the work myself in the next 3-4 months, which I'll be keeping track of on here with tonnes of pics and info. So if you like to see a man with ocd rebuild his supra, watch this space!

Got the rear subframe off this morning which went pretty swiftly. The front should be off tomorrow.

Heres a few reasons why I'm rebuilding the Sup......

As you can see, not pretty :( most of the bushes and rubbers have seen better days so full new polybushes will be used during the rebuild.I want the underside immaculate once I'm finished.

Also realised my coilovers have sh*t themselves so new ones it is!

Started on the front this afternoon:

Not a bad few hours work.

Progress so far, one halfs done on the subframe disassembly front. Hopefully a good go at it tomorrow should see the lot done.

Been battling with siezed nuts and bolts and ball joints. as any of you that have been here know, it's a pain in the ass. So far no sheared or rounded heads. Everythings actually in good nick, just covered in mud/light surface rust. Next step once the other sides dismantled is sand blasting and a repaint of each component. Full new bush kit and anti roll bar too. The stabilizer bar links are getting cut off and replaced too.

Coilovers have pretty much had it I reckon. Shame :(

Driveshafts in decent condition, came off without a hitch :)

• 3 weeks later...

Got myself a toolchest, just because it looks pro, of course. Glad I did, everyone should.

Removedall of the front suspension arms, everythings actually in awesome nick, 1 or 2 bushes on the lca's are in need of replacement though...

Then got stuck into removing some stubborn arb links and rear control arms...holy shit :| the lca and camber arm bolts were entirely seized, so after a load of loud noises, swearing and an angle grinder the above and this happened :/ :

Shaved through a small segment of the bolt hole....:( Once the frames been blasted I'll decide if its worth welding or replacing the frame.

Stripped arb's ready for refurbs.

Where I'm at currently, the last 2 arms are proving impossible to remove without potentially damaging the frame further :(

On the plus side my ocd's coming in handy ;)

• 1 year later...

It's been an awfully long time. She's back in my workshop for the next few months with a rather large task ahead....paint.

I never did get round to finishing this build thread, i did eventually refurbish every control arm, the rear subframe, new lines, caliper rebuilds, shell rust removal and underseal etc so underneath is awesome. I'll post some pics from the process and how she looks now.

attachment.php?attachmentid=207748&d=1451677076

attachment.php?attachmentid=207749&d=1451677076

Spot my brothers eg civic we've just completed a full nut and bolt rebuild and respray on. I'll post some pics of that, the paint transformation was way over what we expected. Good enough that the tired 199 silver on my Supra is about to receive the same treatment; news the misses is delighted to hear...

Once the paints sorted, I'll have an awesome base to begin piecing together some TURBO stuff.

If you like to see people pull out their hair with DIY body work and paint related shenanigans then follow the thread up over the next few months and enjoy. Proper painting process, no rattle cans apply ;)

12401902_10206795690509145_833556564577366318_o.jpg

1397166_10206795690949156_3065948796070650639_o.jpg

Edited by That_Supra_Guy (see edit history)

Nice work, im currently doing similar stuff. What bushes/kit did you use? Im thinking about sourcing another rear subframe for less Car off road time

Went with Superpro dude, complete cars worth minus the diff which ill be doing this winter along with a few other bits. After a year of driving they've been great, huge difference in how the car feels and handles. No squeaks either normally associated with the cheaper polybushes. Super easy to fit too. Just ensure you do your research on what size bushes you need, theres variations between Uk, j-spec and tt/NA as far as I'm aware.

I'd pop new fuel lines/brake lines under there while you're at it too man, makes sense while the frames off :)

You'll also need to buy new frame mounting bolts from toyota as they're stretch bolts I believe. Not overly expensive iirc.

If you dont like unexpected surprises then a second frame would be easiest, can always sell on your old one again. Wish id went that route :(

I'll post up the progress pics shortly.

Went with Superpro dude, complete cars worth minus the diff which ill be doing this winter along with a few other bits. After a year of driving they've been great, huge difference in how the car feels and handles. No squeaks either normally associated with the cheaper polybushes. Super easy to fit too. Just ensure you do your research on what size bushes you need, theres variations between Uk, j-spec and tt/NA as far as I'm aware.

I'd pop new fuel lines/brake lines under there while you're at it too man, makes sense while the frames off :)

You'll also need to buy new frame mounting bolts from toyota as they're stretch bolts I believe. Not overly expensive iirc.

If you dont like unexpected surprises then a second frame would be easiest, can always sell on your old one again. Wish id went that route :(

I'll post up the progress pics shortly.

Cheers bro good info.