The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who's interested in the possibility of cheaper insurance?

Matt Harwood

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:eek:

I'm 33. No, no claims - two bike accidents and long list of company car allowance, the latest being the Sup - thanks boss!!

I can't get insurance for less than 3k -- I am a named driver on my Sup in my wife’s name! she has 7 years no claims, or max whatever - female, clean and it's still 1000 pounds!

I insure my Y reg TD5 for 400 fully comp.... what on earth.. ever run into a TD5?? As for theft they are mostly found abroad to order- just no correlation to the entire industry.

two words

R.I.P off.:flame Dev

I'm not sure how much progress you chaps have been making on this one but I've just had some shocking news through from Dorset (I have the excellent MR2 policy with them).

:eek:

It seems that Norwich Union, the main underwriters for the Dorset scheme, have started to clamp down. Modifications such as nitrous are now a definate no no and once a policy has been taken out any additional modifications will have to be agreed by NU before they will allow them to be fitted. Up until now you did as you wanted and just called Dorset to add the mods to the list for free.

According to an unconfirmed source "Norwich Union have now said that engine modifications that result in an increase in engine performance will result in either a refusal or increased premium".

We've called up and spoken to Sarah at Dorset and it seems that this charge may apply to certain mods and not others. For example a bigger turbo would be fine but nitrous wouldnt be. At the moment things are very vague unfortunately.

In summary though it seems that this once excellent source of insurance may vanish, or at least lose some of the appeal that made it stand out above all the others, I'll post anything I hear but if anyone has any input I'd be interested to hear it....

:angry:

Originally posted by Mid'lifecry'sis

mine is up in August - have you details so that I can get a quote please?

As far as I know the Supra policy isn't up and running so I suspect you'll just get a standard quote which doesn't seem that good (the special schemes add a lot of value) but if you want to try them:

Direct line (Sarah Ashford): (01202) 726934

Main line (DIG): (01202) 302888

I think they are a little short staffed today, this in combination with hundreds of calls from worried MR2 owners in the middle of nitrous installs might mean they aren't to responsive :)

Out of interest do you have a preferred Insurer at the moment? We (the MR2 club) seem to have most success with AON, Tesco and Dorset - I'm hoping to approach a few more companies to see if I can arrange a scheme similar to the Dorset one so any names of small, unknown modification friendly companies would be useful.

I also have a list of companies on the insurance page of my website if anyone wants an easy way to get lot of numbers, I usually print it off and spend a morning ringing around only to find Dorset have won again :)

Originally posted by outatime

What do you want a quote now for if your insurance isnt up until August?

Read the thread - we dont wanna p1ss them off with loads of useless enquiries before a deal is even in place...

They are still an insurance company though, I'm sure they will still be happy to scare you with a £3000 quote.

I'd have to agree though, I was only posting to keep people in the loop who had expressed an interest in the Supra scheme coming online (you may have seen my input early in the thread) - it's really up to the club organisers to get the scheme, as I said you will be able to get a quote but I very much doubt it will be anything too special.

NO.... GOD.... If it's up in August ...I will be calling then. Keep you f**king hair on m8 doh:sly: ;)

Just wanted the detail pal.

As for current policy - Tesco. They never question if I have an import or UK car either.

Just claimed for a guy who hit my front end - £2000 ni on for a front bumper > no questions, no visits, just cash (tesco' are cool).:D ;)

Midlife - Just checking, sorry :innocent:

You sure Tescos dont care about imports? They gave me a decent quote, but when I phoned up they had mine down as a MkIII from the reg no. :confused:

Mcanny - Cheers for keeping us informed, appreciate it. Shame they might be clamping down. Oh well, dont need 'naaaawwzz' anyway...

Just a bit of an update from Dorset - it seem that they are going to be fine on cosmetics but any modifications that up the power will have to be referred to Norwich Union :(

So your £5000 bodykit and £4000 wheels and tyres will just get accepted but even a 5bhp rise in engine power will have to be passed on to NU and they will decide how much to increase your policy

I prefered the old "anything goes" system personally - not what I wanted to hear as I was about to embark on a major engine rebuild / upgrade - maybe I should go for the "all show and no go approach" :p

From an email from Dorset:

"We are able to accept all cosmetic modifications without a

problem. Anything that increases the BHP of the car now has to

be refered to the company"

Having something refered might not be a bad thing I guess, nobody has said they will definately use this as an excuse to up the premium but these are insurance companies at the end of the day :twak:

Originally posted by Mid'lifecry'sis

Tesco. They never question if I have an import or UK car either.

That's odd 'cos they certainly did ask me if it was an import when I insured my J-Spec with them last month.

Actually, thinking about it, the geezer only asked me to confirm, he already knew it was - cos they're linked up to the dvla database. Yeah I reckon that's why they don't always ask : cos they already know.

Still, £465 fully comp - I'm not complaining :cool: