The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thinking about going back to twin turbos

Cosworthmark02

Standard twin turbos are great. I went single on my UK spec 6sp, totally stopped enjoying the car. Went back to a stock j-spec and would never go to a single turbo car now.

A badly setup single will be slaughtered by a BPU mkiv, even a good small single would struggle against a BPU running decent boost, cooling and fuel.

If you have £10,000 to throw at a single then you get a car that runs well, but running a car with stock twins on 1.3bar boost will put a smile on your face and give you a car you can jump in to and it starts first time every time.

Agree 100%.

For me, personally, going single is great if you're chasing big numbers or throwing it up the Pod a lot but it's a 0%/100% feel. And if you want to drive the car off the strip it's a laggy experience and you end up with a car that's less than fun on anything other than a bone dry, warm road. A BPU twin is a fantastic everyday car with a kick from early on in the rev range and will leave you grinning every time. But it's a personal thing, always will be.

:D

I'm not trying to patronise cosworthmark02 but I am 99.9% sure that the mkiv came out in to production in 1993 as the first registration started with K.

The mkiii Supra's were produced up until 1992/1993 until the mkiv Supra took over.

Yep sold from spetember 1993.

Agree 100%.

For me, personally, going single is great if you're chasing big numbers or throwing it up the Pod a lot but it's a 0%/100% feel. And if you want to drive the car off the strip it's a laggy experience and you end up with a car that's less than fun on anything other than a bone dry, warm road. A BPU twin is a fantastic everyday car with a kick from early on in the rev range and will leave you grinning every time. But it's a personal thing, always will be.

Sort of disagree with this, you have obviously never driven a well setup single with twin scroll and billet turbo. Progressive boost from 3.5k a better kick in the back than any BPU will give you and a surge of torque.

My single was never laggy on road or on track once I had a decent setup on it :)

Bought the car with a single conversion already done with poor quality components, having loads of probs with the turbo, wastegate,dump valve etc. etc. so may have to start a single conversion from scratch also struggling to find a decent reasonably priced turbo so exploring the idea of going back to twins but may buy a single still. I'm not really chasing big power (ive done that before).

My car is a K reg must be 1993 though.

Are standard twins really that bad?

Just been looking through your threads, I'm sure your car belonged to an old member who went single on here and did the work in his garage.

He had lots of issues with it if I recall?

Just trying to find his forum name now

Just been looking through your threads, I'm sure your car belonged to an old member who went single on here and did the work in his garage.

He had lots of issues with it if I recall?

Just trying to find his forum name now

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?279852-Hello-looking-for-info-on-my-Black-Supra-K30-BYE&p=3582015#post3582015

Post 11

Standard twin turbos are great. I went single on my UK spec 6sp, totally stopped enjoying the car. Went back to a stock j-spec and would never go to a single turbo car now.

A badly setup single will be slaughtered by a BPU mkiv, even a good small single would struggle against a BPU running decent boost, cooling and fuel.

If you have £10,000 to throw at a single then you get a car that runs well, but running a car with stock twins on 1.3bar boost will put a smile on your face and give you a car you can jump in to and it starts first time every time.

I'm starting to come round to this way of thinking. Having seen the money that a few people have spent on properly doing single conversions, and ending up with problems, I'm not sure it's something I'd want. It's the very reason I got rid of my Calibra Turbo and bought a Supra in the first place!