The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Changing Tires on 3 piece rims

Camry5Sgte

Anything special I need to know about changing the tires on my 3 piece rims? Took it to a shop and they stopped operation mentioning that they belive there is a "crush ring" that crushes into place when installing the tires and new rings will have to be sourced before removing the old tires. I've done some research and can't find anything in the way of the proper way to change a tire on a 3 piece rim, found all the necessary info on how to disassemble/reassemble them though. Do they need to be disassembled just to change the tires? Also, I've found no mention of a crush ring anwhere... I believe they are talking about large industrial automotive applications. Any light on the subject would be much appreciated.

Give Ibrar at Speedwells a call (info in traders section)

I have 3 piece split rims and you don't need to re seal them when changing tyres.

Mine are sealed like many others with a silicon type sealer which is applied to where the 3 pieces of the wheel meet, arrowed in the photo

DSCF0497.JPG

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Gonna find out more tomorrow but talked to previous owner. He stated the have hub centric rings on those particular rims. I've taken the wheels off plenty of times and never noticed them. He said sometes the come off and have to be reset in the rim before reinstall. I wasn't there at the time and info was relayed through the secretary. Gonna check it out first hand tomorrow, they are one of the more reputable shops in the area.

He possibly means spigot rings which are simple to re fit and takes seconds to do.

If they are hubcentric rings (spacers) then they also should be easy enough to re fit.

As i said, call Ibrar, he knows about all the different wheels etc and can tell you

if their reverse tyre fitment or not

You will get in a right mess if they are reverse fitment and somewhere tries to

do it the normal way, trust me i've been there and done that ;)

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)