The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My girlfriends MG ZR. Misfireing

Chris6t9

Hi guys, not a supe but if anyone could shed some light on where i start i would be greatfull.

Basically a few days ago my girlfriends 1.4 mg zr started misfiring. This only happens in low gears and ONLY when the car is warm. I replaced the spark plugs today and the coil pack was replaced not so long ago before this problem came into existence.

Where else do i start looking/replacing parts. I'm hoping someone on here has had one and knows where to start :s

Yeah it would. If it loses compression it'll misfire, if antifreeze or oil leak into the cylinder it'll cause the plug to fire poorly...

As I say, on a K-16 lump, the first thing I'd do is a block test. Mainly because they're notoriously made of cheddar.

Hold up a minute. Don't just assume it's the head gasket because someone says it is without looking at it.

You said a coil pack had been replaced, there are two of them. The symptoms you're describing, do they only happen when the engine is loaded up under heavy ish acceleration?

Hold up a minute. Don't just assume it's the head gasket because someone says it is without looking at it.

You said a coil pack had been replaced, there are two of them. The symptoms you're describing, do they only happen when the engine is loaded up under heavy ish acceleration?

It literally has no problems at all until its warmed up so been running 5 - 10 mins which makes me think it cant be the head because it would do it even when its cold, or am i wrong? I'm no mechanic :(

Only does it in low gears when warmed up, When you hit 4th and 5th it seems to be fine when warm.

And sorry i meant coil packs not coil pack, so both have been replaced. :(

Also to add it blips slightly when idling.

Edited by Chris6t9 (see edit history)

The injector tick is pretty normal on them. I would check that the garage that replaced the head didn't use black mastic / rtv sealant on the cam cage. They should have used face to face sealant of which oil can dissolve, therefore not blocking the oilways to the cams. What isn't normal is the missfire it's got, I heard it a few times during the clip. You're looking at something ignition / electrical related. What condition are the fly leads to the other two pots like? Assuming you've done a compression test? What usually happens after the heads blow is they get skimmed but the valve seats don't get checked. Usually ending up with low compression in one or more cylinders. If it's not the plugs / leads / coilpacks it'll be the cam sensor, again a common one, especially after it's cooked.

- - - Updated - - -

I can see it's a petrol but that doesn't sound healthy dude

The camera is picking up a lot of the high frequency noises and amplifying them. If I record my silky smooth v8 and play it back, it sounds like a GM 3 pot!

The injector tick is pretty normal on them. I would check that the garage that replaced the head didn't use black mastic / rtv sealant on the cam cage. They should have used face to face sealant of which oil can dissolve, therefore not blocking the oilways to the cams. What isn't normal is the missfire it's got, I heard it a few times during the clip. You're looking at something ignition / electrical related. What condition are the fly leads to the other two pots like? Assuming you've done a compression test? What usually happens after the heads blow is they get skimmed but the valve seats don't get checked. Usually ending up with low compression in one or more cylinders. If it's not the plugs / leads / coilpacks it'll be the cam sensor, again a common one, especially after it's cooked.

- - - Updated - - -

The camera is picking up a lot of the high frequency noises and amplifying them. If I record my silky smooth v8 and play it back, it sounds like a GM 3 pot!

Nope not done a compression test but will take it to the garage tomorrow, and i wouldn't know what the garage did that done it as that was with the previous owner. I'm not very mechanically minded and only know the basics so i guess this would be something i cant really look at myself if it involes the head gasket :(

- - - Updated - - -

I had a ZR 160 and the previous owner / garage did this, was an awesome car but then it let go on some spirited driving down a country road in the middle of a tiny village in the sticks. It was never right after that as it get kept mixing but never overheated, had a slight misfire evenafter the HG change. My dad's mate told me the block was scrap as the the head had been skimmed before and the head was pretty warped, I loved that car :(

Used to go like stink and handle like a go kart :D I scared myself at how fast I could go round corners :eyebrows:

Ah that does look lovely mate! Still not figured out what it is, im thinking about changing the coil pack and leads first off and work my way through. Might even be the injectors. It ran like a dream earlier, we drove it for 45 mins and even when warm it was perfectly fine. Then went out later in the day again a few hours later in it and it started playing up again.

Cant be the HG. Coolant is fine still and if it was it wouldn't have been fine the first time round.

Maybe some damp is getting in there or something idk. :(

Garage couldn't fit us in for a block test till Monday, when were both back at work, and i refused to take it to quick fit!

Ah that does look lovely mate! Still not figured out what it is, im thinking about changing the coil pack and leads first off and work my way through. Might even be the injectors. It ran like a dream earlier, we drove it for 45 mins and even when warm it was perfectly fine. Then went out later in the day again a few hours later in it and it started playing up again.

Cant be the HG. Coolant is fine still and if it was it wouldn't have been fine the first time round.

Maybe some damp is getting in there or something idk. :(

Garage couldn't fit us in for a block test till Monday, when were both back at work, and i refused to take it to quick fit!

Try and get a video of it playing up, I'll be able to work out what's going on more then.

Try and get a video of it playing up, I'll be able to work out what's going on more then.

I just bought some new leads and will fit them tomorrow or wednesday. Going for the trial and error technique lol. If it still happens when i have fitted them then ill be sure to get a video up when its doing it on idle.

Also to add its now getting worse. It now does it also when its cold and also when in high gear now as-well (so basically all the time) :(