The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's the standard Traction control for?

Supra Kong

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On mine, if it kicks in too much it's straight into snow mode which is the single handed most dangerous thing I've ever experienced when pulling out of s junction fast :(

+1 on that. I had a 53 plate 350Z back in 2007, and the traction control in that was awful as well. Must just be something that the Japanese can't get right! :)

There's a huge difference between the traction control on the Soarer (like the Supra, I think) and the stability control on my '98 model GS300.

After another 14 years' development, current systems must be amazing.

Well... if mine IS working, they sure can't be any worse!!! lol

So do you think fitting a Syvecs is worth it to a BPU car?

Wouldnt mind decent traction control, launch control etc... It's mainly for track use!

I would recommend it for track because you can set it up on slip, steering, g-force, etc - and also for the failsafes like oil pressure, fuel pressure, oil temp, etc.

I would recommend it for track because you can set it up on slip, steering, g-force, etc - and also for the failsafes like oil pressure, fuel pressure, oil temp, etc.

Hmmm worth thinking about then.... dust of the piggybank and start saving me thinks!

Again, would it be worth it getting it set up by Ryan G? Or would Ali G be ok as its only BPU? (what i mean is, there wouldn't be any real performance improvement on BPU) which should make set up fairly easy?

As Ellis says it uses Chinese whispers to send the signal through the wiring and therefore often compounds the loss of traction. Inevitably this often happens at junctions where it tries to kill you as you pull out.

Actually I think you will find that when the rear wheels break traction, a signal is then sent by a one armed man using semaphore to Ray Charles, who then lets the ECU know that there isn't really a lorry bearing down on you, its just snowing!

I personally have had a truck bearing down on me as the traction control removed all the power and left me sitting in its path and only quickly pressing the button to turn it off saved my life.

What I did to fix this was drill the two screws out on the traction control butterfly and remove the butterfly flap so that it then had no chance of it trying to kill me again. I have also done this on my wife's TT as soon as we bought it.

Edited by V8KILR (see edit history)

It may be 20 year old technology, and absolutely no doubt that there are far better traction control systems out there. But I bet it's saved plenty of people on here from stuffing their pride and joy, whether they like to admit it or not. :)

Actually, it's probably caused more crashes than it's saved, both the MR2 and Supra used the same TC system, but due to how vicious it was, people were counter-steering when the back end stepped out, only for the TC to bite and send them into a ditch, barrier, car, etc. The MR2 was recalled by Toyota to fix this issue but due to the lower volume of Supra's, they were never recalled.

First thing I'd do is remove the stock TC system.

Actually, it's probably caused more crashes than it's saved, both the MR2 and Supra used the same TC system, but due to how vicious it was, people were counter-steering when the back end stepped out, only for the TC to bite and send them into a ditch, barrier, car, etc. The MR2 was recalled by Toyota to fix this issue but due to the lower volume of Supra's, they were never recalled.

First thing I'd do is remove the stock TC system.

Rubbish. There is no chance that the system has caused more crashes than it's caused, if this were the case it would be a blanket removal of the system on the forum. As I've already said it will have saved hundreds of people new to RWD in the dry and loads of people not used to the power in the wet. And as for the cliche of pulling out in front of a lorry(which everyone seems to be doing). If a stock TT(assuming standard suspension in good condition and proper tyres) was to pull out in front of a lorry from a junction at WOT in the dry it would not lose traction and the traction control would not intervene. So my suggestion is that all of these examples of people "pulling out in front of lorries" were either driving too fast for the wet conditions or had sub standard suspension/tyres or both.

Don't get me wrong I run with it off most of the time but have plenty of experience of RWD cars and handling them sideways.(had six RWD cars and used three of them for drifting)

As for removing the TC, you're my hero. How many miles have you done this year? :)

Rubbish. There is no chance that the system has caused more crashes than it's caused, if this were the case it would be a blanket removal of the system on the forum. As I've already said it will have saved hundreds of people new to RWD in the dry and loads of people not used to the power in the wet. And as for the cliche of pulling out in front of a lorry(which everyone seems to be doing). If a stock TT(assuming standard suspension in good condition and proper tyres) was to pull out in front of a lorry from a junction at WOT in the dry it would not lose traction and the traction control would not intervene. So my suggestion is that all of these examples of people "pulling out in front of lorries" were either driving too fast for the wet conditions or had sub standard suspension/tyres or both.

Don't get me wrong I run with it off most of the time but have plenty of experience of RWD cars and handling them sideways.(had six RWD cars and used three of them for drifting)

As for removing the TC, you're my hero. How many miles have you done this year? :)

:thumbs: This guy is exactly right.

Did you not read what I said? Do not assume that it is a cliche! I was pulling out from a side road on to a main road and the side road had a little bit of gravel thrown on to it as many back road intersections in NZ do. As I pulled out, the tires spun on the gravel leaving me in the path of an oncoming truck with no power. As mentioned only pressing the button to turn off the traction control saved my life. This was in the dry with excellent tires and suspension.

The factory traction control is EXTREMELY dangerous and I would never own a TT Supra without removing it.

Did you not read what I said? Do not assume that it is a cliche! I was pulling out from a side road on to a main road and the side road had a little bit of gravel thrown on to it as many back road intersections in NZ do. As I pulled out, the tires spun on the gravel leaving me in the path of an oncoming truck with no power. As mentioned only pressing the button to turn off the traction control saved my life. This was in the dry with excellent tires and suspension.

The factory traction control is EXTREMELY dangerous and I would never own a TT Supra without removing it.

Why were you driving so fast you broke traction in the path of an on-coming truck? :blink: