Jake

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jake

It seems you might just have one big problem...IF you cant turn the engine over by the crankshft bolt on the front.

Then you wont be able to undo ALL the TC bolts, 6 offf them.

So IF that is the case then you will have to unbolt the gearbox from the engine and pull it off.

Then you will be able to spin the TC round and get to all the bolts.

When fitting the TC back onto the Box shaft,offer up the TC to the gearbox, and slide it on, it will slide on and stop, now you think it will not go any further, but it WILL...grab hold of the TC and spin it round with a little pushing motion, and keep doing this till the TC locates onto the shft properly.

It might take a few mins for it to pop onto the shaft correctly, it will only drop in about another 1/4", BUT it will locate,all your doing is locating the shaft into the TC pump drive.

Oh and you need to put the box AND the TC onto the car together, and try and keep the engine tilted back slighly, so when you are offering up the box, the TC dont slip forward...then it's back to square one.

And you can get to the bolts through the blanking plate, we did ours last weekend, it's a little fiddly, or use the starter hole to undo them.

Andy

PS

tip get 2 small trolly jacks and put the box onto them and offer the box up at a slight angle, be sure the trolly jacks are inline with the box and it should be a lot easier for you to get the box back in.

PPS

make sure you fill the TC with fluid before putting it onto the box.

Just re reading all this saga I have a horrible feeling you are saying that you left the TC bolted to the flex plate when you removed the auto box? That is fatal. There's no way you will get the neck of the converter to enter the oil pum snout on the gearbox when you try and stab the box into place, without damaging the oil seal and / or the pump itself.

Try this. Slacken ALL the gearbox bellhoung bolts and remove the starter. Pry the box back a good 15 mm, which is possible with most bolts still in situ. You should then be able to turn the crank, remove the TC from the flex plate, and take the box out to assess what damage has been done. It really is NOT a job to do on the drive.... It will be worth paying a pro to sort his, I can see you getting in a mess with assessing the damage to the box and TC.

UPDATE:

Blimey that was a hard slog. Working under a car that is only just off the ground is not easy. I managed to get the TC bolts undone after dropping the gearbox back a few millimeters as Chris Wilson suggested but I still couldn't get the TC to rotate, which meant I was unable to locate it into the correct position on the gearbox shaft. So, gearbox off (easier said than done in my situation). After removing the TC I could see two slight impressions on it where it had been forced in the wrong position. Nothing else looked damaged. Certainly nothing was chewed up as expected.

So, refitted the TC to the gearbox, following Andy's (Bedlam) instructions and tried to refit the gearbox to the engine. I struggled with this for about an hour. Lifting that much weight and trying to align it properly is tough. Eventually the guy from Samaritans came round and helped me do it. (not really, I rang a mate) Even with two of us it was a struggle but we got there in the end.

Unfortunately bad light stopped play but all the hard stuff is done now. Just got to reconnect the prop shaft, starter motor, exhaust, gearbox oil cooler pipes, etc etc and we should be ready to start her up.

God I hope it's OK. I don't think I could face doing this again.

Thanks ever so much for all your help guys. I would've been completely screwed without your knowledge and advice.

:respekt:

Jake

Glad you eventually got it back on :thumbs: ..do you now see what everyone was talking about with the TC fitting on that little bit extra :(..hope it works out ok for you, the box dont look that much BUT it is a weight to get in from the ground .

Andy

PS

"Edit"

Jake i just bet you would have killed for one of these things today ...

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=020110489&r=2047&g=107