New engine won't turn over

Jake

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK the Torque converter (TC) bolts up to the torque plate (TP) which is the small flywheel plate thingy you mention. If you undo these bolts that hold the TC to TP the engine will be disconected from the TC and you will be able, IF all is OK to turn the engine over by hand again, as efectively the TC is no longer holding it back if jamed, you will also be able to move the TC when its undone which will also give you an indicator if its that is jammed also( that is if its not pinned to the TP). IF the engine does not turn over by hand after this then you have just saved you hands from removing the box again and it leads to another problem . You will hate yourself if you pull the box and the engine is still jamed, Unlikely from the description but i would remove 6 bolts and see rather than the whole box .

As this is 1/2 way to removeing the box anyway its a good indicator...as if it turns out to be the motor and something real simple then all you have to do is bang 6 bolts back in. The guys above have hit the nail on the head with the diagnosis ..but its always best to do these little reversal tests as it may just be some real real stupid

Theres a full section of TSM manuals on http://vortex-power.co.uk/forum

if that helps

OK, cheers Pedro.

So should I be able to easily get at the TC bolts through that little window with the engine in situ? From what I recall it sounds nigh on impossible.

Yup abosolutely be able to get to them bolts through there ..you can also get to them if you take the starter out and go in there also to do 2 at a time ;)

*Hijack mode on*

PS. JohnA Theres no reason why you cant get on there ..should be register and go. * Hijack mode off*

The TC oil pump drive lugs (the cutaway section on the neck) need to engage with drives on the gearbox oil pump. It sounds as if you have forced the TC into the oil pump, and almost certainly done damage to the TC, the oil pump or worse. Reove the short bolts that bolt the flex plate to the TC (flexplate = flywheel). It should then be possible to push the TC rearwards using finger pressure to creat about a 1 cm gap between TC and flexplate. The TC should spin usng finger pressure and be able to be aligned or misaligned at will the the flex plate bolt holes. If the TC won't move back you have mashed it into the pump, and you need to remove the gearbox and TC and strip the pump out to examine it.

OK now I'm really confused. I've just been under the car to have a look and there no way on earth anyone could possibly undo the TC bolts with the engine and gearbox in place. Maybe you could get at one bolt at a time though the starter motor appeture but even then it would be a difficult task.

There's only a 10mm gap between the back of the engine's sump the front of the rearmost front crossmember. And there's only about a 20mm gap between the rear of that cross member and the front of the gearbox bellhousing. I can't imagine any way that you could even get a 17mm socket and ratchet in there let alone see what the hell you are doing.

Even if I remove the the gearbox I can't see how I'm going to get the TC off without pulling the engine again.

What am I missing here? Several folks have said it's possible but I just can't see how it can be done.

Jake, I swear on my life this is true....... YOU CAN DO IT ! It is a little tight, but with a short socket or drop ring you can get to the little critters through that hatch.

(unless you have put the engine in back to front in which case you may have to remove the rad to get access)

right then here goes ...the bottom inspection plate removed and you use a 17mm ring spanner and go one at a time ...you can also do it through the starter hole with a socket ....Trust me you do not have to remove the box or pull the lump to disconect the TC ..in fact you should actualy undo the TC and remove the box after ...and reversal for instaling ...this eliminates any possiblilities of getting the TC missalighed. Either I have been doing it wrong for the past 6 years or yours is a one off special ;) The bolts that hold the TC are not majorly long hence they will come out no probs. I wish i could find pictures to make it easy for you.

the bottom inspection plate removed and you use a 17mm ring spanner and go one at a time ...
When you say 'Inspection Plate' we are talking about that rubber plug thing at the bottom, right?

I'm going to go and have another look at it. God know's what the neighbours think!

EDIT : Ignore this post, I didn't see Mig's latest posts

Yup thats right ..and you can also come in with some extension bars from the front of the Cross. Easy life ;) Honestly it is the norm ....and its way easier to come in from the stater hole also. Relax as per B'have and Cwilson and me tou can do it ...stick that bing hand of yours in the fridge ..if not come and pick me up and ill do it for ya for nowt