The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Serious Auto box ploblem! PLEASE HELP

Kaan W

With the fan shroud removed and a little care and attention here and there, the tail of the box can be lowered by tilting the engine enough to be able to use a ratchet on that long extension bar and one of those wobbly end sockets you have hanging on the wall.

Simples :)

Yeah I used a socket on a universal joint on a mega long extention bar :) but didnt think to tilt the box..

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not even sure how to do this, Caseys phones been off or sounds more disconected since the sale :s

Hi Kaan,

I sincerely apologise for my phone being off, my missus dropped her phone and broke it so she's had mine since midday Saturday. Just got her replacement back and so got mine back and just got your text messages once I'd popped my sim card in. Did instantly leap on the forum as thought it's too late to call you. I saw your PM from the other day when you got home and how you loved the car and thought all was great. If you'd PM'd me about this on the day it occurred I'd have got straight back to you as soon as I'd have seen the email. My phone is back and now on, sorry haven't been trying to be hard to get hold of, as you know I'd also completed on a house the day before.

I'm not sure what to say really having now read this thread, as you know and can see from the paperwork the car had a lot of work and a full service in december, mapping in december too when everything was fine and I covered I think 2500 miles since then in the car (including the 250 miles to come see you and for your initial viewing of the car and another 300 mile round trip to MK).

Having owned it for 8 years, running first about 460bhp then the 579 after discussing with Ryan that it was fine for the autobox I was happy with it's settings as I wouldn't have wanted to happen to the car what's happened to you with it within a week of ownership! :( I don't believe the power levels will have killed it, going off the fact that many Autobox people are now running that level of power. I covered at least 30k miles on that box without a single issue with it.

The car's had regular oil changes inc gearbox and diff oil at regular intervals while I owned it so it's not like it's been through a lack of maintenance and as you could tell from when we first met it drove fine on the limit and also was fine on your test drive when I was showing you the functions of the gearbox before you drove it away. It's the original gearbox and cannot say I experienced any of the problems you've just had or from the texts I've just got through from you from the other day.

Really am at a loss for words chap, 8 years and the only catastrophic problem I ever had with it was the crank pulley go on me about 5 years ago which I then replaced with a brand new stock one (and aux belt and Toyota radiator at the same time). Otherwise reliability wise it never let me down.

You sent me a text asking what the red exclamation mark was on the dash that kept coming up, when did that start happening? Before or after the gearbox problems in this thread? What was happening at the time and were there any other lights on the dash coming up? The MIL should only come up if there's a problem and generally like in any car if it does you should generally stop and find out what's wrong.

Did you get any logs off the syvecs and send them to Ryan? Wonder if there's any logging info left from when the problem started occurring.

I'll give you a call tomorrow but really am not sure what else I can bring to this thread as I'm not too technical myself.

I could be wrong but the sales advert says the single turbo was mapped by Ryan in Dec 2011

so it hasn't really lasted very long by the sound of it unless it was running another set up

before that.

Hey Dnk,

Before December it was running an EMB and last RR I think I got 455bhp odd at AFR once the head was rebuilt (valve stem seals were going so had them redone). It wasn't running more than that due to running on stock 550s with a walbro as duty cycle couldn't go much higher so kept it at safe limits AFR wise, was on that setup from when I bought the car early 2004 until I'd gone S6 with ID1000s, new manifold and FMIC in December so mapped after all the work was complete.