The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TubbyTwo's Supra tidy up!

TubbyTwo

Never tried starting mine without the dash panels, but wouldn't it make sense to need the top dash panel connected before it allows itself to be started? So the panel with the mileage and warning lights... Worth a try maybe, hope you get it sorted.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was the turbo timer harness that was removed that was spliced into the ignition loom under the steering wheel:

ttloom.jpg

Gauges were sort of spliced in here as well, bit of a mess, was rather hoping to sell this with the turbo timer, but it looks a bit beyond repair :eyebrows:

on the ECU side (car is NA-TT) there was a long yellow wire labled "SPEED CONT" that seems to run to the ecu are, although not connected. This appears to come from the same set of block connectors that went into the cd headunit, possible leftovers from the active system.. who knows, looks aftermarket. Its the single yellow wire in this picture:

greddy.jpg

behind the dash i also noticed a small silver box with 4 small headphone style jacks attached to it, again not connected to anything. Assume this is stereo related so have left alone any suggestions?

nav box.jpg

Onwards and upwards, I found a length of domestic wire (the wite flex like on kettles etc) running from the turbo timer harness to just under the auto gear shift housing. Again not connected to anything, just covered with green elec tape so this was removed.

Also found a single green wire cable tied behind the dash again not connected. traced this back under the carpets and into the boot to find its acutally linking 2 of the rear red tail lights together, I assume for a foglight setup. Handy as need to sort that for its MOT.

Finally the wife sent a spy to keep check on what I was doing and to make sure that any screws or bolts that were left in neat piles were promply smacked all over the place:

cat.jpgcat1.jpg

make yourself at home:

cat3.jpg

:rolleyes::D

Edited by TubbyTwo (see edit history)

Current list of jobs:

Interior:

- Replace seatbelts as they dont retract.

- replace seats with stock.

- replace gearstick with an oem one.

- dye carpet black.

- remove turbo timer

- remove 2 gauge piller pod

- relocate oil pressure gauge to dash (probably where the clock currently is).

- replace headunit and speakers

- remove any excess wiring - ongoing

- replace or wrap dash panels

- replace dash LEDs for speedo cluster, heater panel and clocks.

- replace spare wheel

- source OEM toolkit for boot.

Exterior:

- Replace VS sideskirts and sort filler cracking issues.

- replace front drivers wheel arch liner, and undertrays.

- replace front bumper clips and adjust bonnet closure - Clips ordered - ongoing

- remove front bumper and adjust IC position.

- adjust angle of rear diffuser.

- machine polish the headlights

- get car detailed.

Engine:

- change sparkplugs

- replace 2 cam cover breather hoses.

- replace coilpack clips

- replace O2 sensor

- replace ECU coolant temp sensor

- replace horn with something more manly.....

- Steamclean, dress and polish engine bay.

Cheers, mine wont be a high power big money build, more a seriously good tidy up. The car is in average condition at the moment, which suits me fine as I have a goal to work towards. :)

Just looking at hose kits of the engine bay so that will be added to the list as well.

The box with the stereo outputs might be from the Japanese Navi/TV setup.. The Speed Cont wire sounds like it may have been the speed input to the Navi. These type of systems are popular aftermarket fitments.. (Assuming your car is J SPec)..

I yanked all that crap out of my car and binned it..

Ah ok that would make sense! yes the car is Jspec.

So much clutter behind the dash, cables to subs etc. Im tempted to take the seats and carpet out and just remove everything thats not needed.

I only set out to remove some gauges :D

These Japs love putting a whole lot of crap in these cars, and they run the cables way longer than required..

As per my recent thread, I stripped the interior and neatened the wiring, much improved from b4.. I removed a good few meters of wiring..

Just put in another hour on the car before it rains. So far have stripped out the boot:

boot.jpg

needs a good hoover out and clean, but thats a job for another day. Also found enough bolts in the rear passenger corner of the boot to start building another car, no wonder it rattled on speed bumps!

bolts.jpg

and found yet more wiring, which from reading Samurai 20v's refurb thread its all old audio/ navi stuff I think, none of it is connected.

wires.jpg

Started to pull this through and it became stuck under the rear bench so whipped that out, to find miles of cable stuck to the floor, so out it came, ready to be pulled though once the seats and carpet come out. This little lot should certainly reduce the clutter behind the dash!

wires1.jpg

leaves a nice clean floor, with 2 green wires that go to the rear lights and a white/grey that goes to the boot light. These will be re-routed in a more suitable location.

wires2.jpg

It would also seem that at some point a window was broken as there are a few little squares of glass under there as well.

enough for tonight I think!

Last update for tonight, seats out and carpet removed to be washed and dyed black:

carpet.jpg

leaving alot of dirt and grit to be hoovered out from the floor pan. front and rear:

interior.jpgint1.jpg

and the current rats nest of dead wiring to be removed tomorrow night from behind the dash:

int3.jpg

This has got a little out of hand :D

cheers.

undecided what to do with the dash panels at the moment. they have been painted black but need doing again really.

Not sure whether to sand them down and repay and lacquer black or wrap with some 3M carbon vinyl.

If you can budget for it, how about getting Dave on here to wrap them in suede? Black suede would look lush on yours.

Glossy black looks a bit tacky imo, a matt or satin looks how it should. All in my opinion of course. :)