The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TubbyTwo's Supra tidy up!

TubbyTwo

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, the cars all back together, and seems to start so much easier as well. I went round the cabin and tightened up as many earth bolts as I could find.

Carpet is in and looks great, very happy with how it came out. Pics to follow tonight. Took the car for a blast yesterday out to our unit and its great to have it back after a week of no driving.

Then, sods law driving to work this morning I start hearing a bang noise from the rear of the car over bumps..... on inspection the rear exhaust mount has failed and the exhaust tailpipe is now resting on my nice carbon Shine auto diffuser!!!:complain::complain::complain::swear::swear::mad:

Only 12 miles to limp it home tonight with some cable ties before I get can get the parts.

:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Time for a long overdue update!!

Speaker covers front and back have had their final coats of black dye and look much better than the odd faded blue/purple colour:

speaker rear.jpgspeaker rear1.jpgdoor speaker.jpg

The carpet after 3 coats of black dye, left to dry for 2 days in the sun, then brushed back to its normal fluffy self. Looks good as new:

carpet.jpgcarpetin.jpgcarpetin1.jpgcarpetin3.jpg

Seats out ready to be cleaned and repaired before being sold for some nice OEM ones to take a child seat....:taped:

cobras.jpg

and finally removed the vortex generators from the Shine Auto diffuser and got fed up of whacking my ankles on them every time I clean the car!

vortex.jpg

more to follow this weekend with a serious clean inside and out (weather permitting!)

Edited by TubbyTwo (see edit history)

Right, spend the lunch hour sorting the O2 sensor out, so hopefully this should make a noticable difference to fuel consumption. Started up just fine, and instantly the idle was rock solid and the engine felt alot smoother.

O2sensoroldandnew.jpg

all done in 20 mins, downside is despite soaking the bolts/nuts in plusgas for the past 2 days one of the studs snapped off half way up, even after putting a little copper slip on the threads..... so this will have to wait until the weekend until I can drill it out and fit another. Hopefully its ok to drive until then, its on nice and tight so shouldnt leak that badly with any luck. Bloody typical.

FFS.

New Lambda sensor is making a huge difference already, the car is noticably smoother, idles much better and so far is pretty good on fuel (for a 3l :D)

Set out on Sunday to do a full clean inside and out, but as seems to be the way these days I didnt get very far. Cleaned and sealed the wheels and tyres, and washed the car. Got some glass polish on the DA on all the windows, as the windscreen had some horrible water marks that wouldnt shift making wet driving interesting.

Removed the wonky Supra OC sitckers ready for the new ones, and fitted the slightly modifed exhaust mount from Chris Wilson.

Also quickly buffed up the headlights with the DA and some Menzerna final finish, will wet sand and machine these back properly at a later date, by for now they came up well.

headlight.jpg

Rest of the car was treated to a quick blast of Autoglym SRP until it can be machined and sealed properly.

shiney.jpg

So current list of jobs is:

Interior:

- Replace seatbelts as they dont retract.

- replace seats with stock. - Changing to OEM leathers

- replace gearstick with an oem one.

- dye carpet black.

- remove turbo timer

- remove 2 gauge piller pod

- relocate oil pressure gauge to dash.

- replace headunit and speakers

- remove any excess wiring.

- replace or wrap dash panels

- replace dash LEDs for speedo cluster, heater panel and clocks.

- replace spare wheel

- source OEM toolkit for boot.

Exterior:

- Replace VS sideskirts and sort filler cracking issues.

- replace front drivers wheel arch liner, and undertrays.

- replace front bumper clips and adjust bonnet closure

- remove front bumper and adjust IC position.

- adjust angle of rear diffuser.

- machine polish the headlights

- get car detailed.

Engine:

- change sparkplugs

- replace 2 cam cover breather hoses.

- replace coilpack clips

- replace O2 sensor

- replace ECU coolant temp sensor

- replace horn with something more manly.....

- Steamclean, dress and polish engine bay.

Going to properly crack on this weekend, just had a load of new detailing stuff delivered so will be getting the works, clay, full machine polish, and some nano sealant etc. Also intend to investigate the lack of bass in the speaker system allthough I expect it will be the stock speakers falling appart. :D

If anyone is interested since fitting the new lambda, and filling the tank, I have now covered 620 km = 385.250 miles to the last quater of the tank. so should be easily on route for 400+ miles to a J-spec tank. Thats mostly motorway with a mix of town driving and a few decent blasts.

Considering the wifes 1.6 astra only does about 320 to a tank and she complained I would be spending £100+ a week on fuel I have rather enjoyed rubbing it in. Not bad for an old Toyota

Update time!

Been busy collecting a few new parts over the last couple of weeks, first up was to change the Cobra buckets with some OEM black leathers. Came to an agreement with Peter P to swap, so headed off down to kent to collect them. Was great to have a catchup and compare all things Supra, thanks mate :)

Once home these were cleaned with Sonus leather cleaner using a soft nail brush to work the cleaner into the leather, and then wiped down with a damp MF cloth:

seats + sonus.jpgseat cloth.jpg

Once left to dry for an hour the seats were then treated with Sonus leather conditioner to bring back the nice deep black finish:

final seats.jpg

Next on the list was to replace the dead wipers, eventually will refurb the stock wiper arms in satin black metal paint once the weather sorts itself out.

Off with the old:

old wipers.jpg

and on with the new aero wipers, fantastic mod over the old style ones highly recomend upgrading to these:

aero wipers.jpg

Then it was time to start sorting out the audio, its not been great since buying the car, there is no bass and it buzzes and crackles even at modest volumes. The nail in the coffin was one by one the speakers got worse and worse. Expected them to be the stock speakers and wasnt disapointed:

dead speaker.jpg

both rears and I expent the fronts have suffered the same fate :D

While the rear speaker grills were off they were treated to 2 more coats of black dye to freshen them up:

speaker grill.jpg

Following Rob's excellent templates in the ICE section here:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?35019-Front-Speaker-Mounts-Template

I made some mounts from MDF ready to replace the front speaker boxes:

speaker mounts.jpgspeaker mount.jpg

These have been cut out and sanded down before being glued and screwed together. As the whole audio system will be redone next year with new headunit, amp, sub, speakers and wiring I deceided for the time being to pick up some cheapish speakers front and rear so settled for some FLi 3 way triaxial speakers. Might not be the best out there, but for £25 a set they will do until the proper stuff is fitted next year and a nice easy straight swap for the stock ones:

newspeakers.jpg

Just got to sort out a rear foglight PCB from Heckler for the MOT on the 20th which hopefully should pass without any problems. :)