The mkiv Supra Owners Club

cheap camaro

barneybrendan

Im always nice :)...Im still waiting for my maccy d's Dave :search:

dont hold your breath :p

That may be your opinion, but the facts can't be argued with.

Corvette - remember that 'American car'?

Here's the 'Epic Fail' record for this car at Le Mans since 2000:

Year Class Place

2000: GTS 3rd & 4th

2001 GTS 1st & 2nd

2002 GTS 1st & 2nd

2003 GTS 2nd & 3rd

2004 GTS 1st & 2nd

2005 GT1 1st & 2nd

2006 GT1 1st & 7th

2007 GT1 2nd & DNF

2008 GT1 2nd & 3rd

2009 GT1 1st & DNF

2010 GT2 2x DNF

2011 GT2 1st & DNF

I'd say 7 wins at the 24 hrs of Le Mans, on the podium 17 times out of a possible 24 and taking 1st AND 2nd in the same year on 4 occasions is a pretty decent record for a car that you class as an 'Epic Fail'.

I won't lower myself to tell you where you can put your opinion - the above tells it as it is. No other car in it's class has come close to this kind of performance this century.

I realise that American cars aren't to everyone's taste, I'm not that blinkered by the fact I drive one, but for performance and reliability, some American cars are hard to beat.

to be fair they arnt really the same as thier road counterparts. similar yes, but not the same. i do have a soft spot for yank cars though

i would love a 93 cobra. kenne bell supercharger :drool:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can you say a American car is reliable? I watch a show called "Pinks" where cars race for pink slips and every show ive watched a American muscle car breaks down.

Serious guys come on i know your backing up you own opinion but the built quality is shocking its all cheap plastic. Even the corvette Z06 has a plastic rear bumper.

How can you say a American car is reliable? I watch a show called "Pinks" where cars race for pink slips and every show ive watched a American muscle car breaks down.

Serious guys come on i know your backing up you own opinion but the built quality is shocking its all cheap plastic. Even the corvette Z06 has a plastic rear bumper.

Ermmm.....what's the ar$e of a Supra made of? (The Corvette rear end - not JUST th eZ06 but the whole range - also has a girder behind the plastic - just like the Supe, just like most cars on the road nowadays!)

One of the first cars I remember them making a point of mentioning with a deformable plastic rear end was the Porsche 928 - nobody complained about that.

Really, kiddo - you watch wwaaaayyyyy too much Clarkson!

Anyway - how can you say it's NOT reliable? 24hrs straight racing at Le Mans - you've seen the result.

The smallblock GM engine was introduced in late '54, there's been more of these built than any other engine in history. If it wasn't good, it wouldn't have been the success it still is today.

ewww nasty camaro is a nasty colour :blink:

as said before its deff the bland era! my friend has a 1989 mustang convertible proper v8 and tuned but looks terrible!!

would have to be a 67/68 camaro for me.. i want the grey one out of christine :D

What's a plastic bumper got to do with anything?

Ermmm.....what's the ar$e of a Supra made of? (The Corvette rear end - not JUST th eZ06 but the whole range - also has a girder behind the plastic - just like the Supe, just like most cars on the road nowadays!)

One of the first cars I remember them making a point of mentioning with a deformable plastic rear end was the Porsche 928 - nobody complained about that.

Really, kiddo - you watch wwaaaayyyyy too much Clarkson!

Anyway - how can you say it's NOT reliable? 24hrs straight racing at Le Mans - you've seen the result.

The smallblock GM engine was introduced in late '54, there's been more of these built than any other engine in history. If it wasn't good, it wouldn't have been the success it still is today.

You know what i mean - you could push the bumper in with your finger.

Im not being funny but them le mans cars are no where near like the standard ones. Thats like comparing a N/A Supra to a Single turbo supra

Its not all about getting somewhere first mate, most of the pleasure is the journey, the sunny gtir

is a stupid quick little car and personally i wouldnt be seen dead in one.

Your very young and as you grow older hopefully your taste will change for the better :)

I like all the old 69 camaros and the 67 fastback mustangs etc, Im just not a fan of the current day mustangs and camaros.

Im not here to argue whats best because thats just plain stupid. I agree with you on the nissan sunny gti-r its not the best looking car by a long way but damn them things can shift :)

I've had 3 of these camaro's in this model and they are great cars. You're right about the crappy colour though.

It's a Jap import and has the Jap reap lights. Although they look crap, the yanks will pay silly money for them as they can't get them over there. I swapped my last set for a set of 99spec lights plus cash my way.

Also, they don't break down all the time and are very reliable, provided you service them. Almost all the problems on any of my yanks has been due to dizzy cap, rotor arm plugs and leads.

Peter

Its not all about getting somewhere first mate, most of the pleasure is the journey, the sunny gtir

is a stupid quick little car and personally i wouldnt be seen dead in one.

i loved my pulsar :D didnt keep it long enough to break down either :eyebrows:

You know what i mean - you could push the bumper in with your finger.

Im not being funny but them le mans cars are no where near like the standard ones. Thats like comparing a N/A Supra to a Single turbo supra

I could pretty much do that with my Supra too though. It means absolutely nothing - the plastic cover is only there to give the car it's shape.

And the GT1, 7-litre engine in the C6R is actually not that far removed from the Z06 engine, TBH.

As I've owned 3 different generations of Corvette down the years and never had one mechanical problem with any of them, I'd say I'm just a little more qualified to pass judgement on the car then someone who has absolutely no first hand experience of it or any other American car for that matter.

Take my word for it, look after them and keep them in good oil and well serviced and they'll go around the clock again and again.

Yeah but surely a 720bhp ZR1 can pull back a 550bhp R35 GTR in a 1mile drag race

Again, this is why you will never 'get' muscle cars. It's they way they feel and the way they make you feel.

I'd shut up until you have driven one personally.

Oh and you mentioned that Clarkson slates them, yet when he put the Corvette against the R8, he said you should choose the Corvette.