1. 1. Do you drive with TRC on?

• Yep
    • Nope
    • Sometimes

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most people turn the stock TC off because it's crap and sometimes dangerous - not so much because they want to drive without it. That's part of the problem, it's not configurable - how could one setting work with such diverse driving conditions anyway, even if it worked properly.

Would the triggering of stock traction control be affected by the fitment of a LSD?

My guess is it would in which case I wonder how Toyota could offer it as an option (OK factory fit) on JDM Supras. Unless traction control ECU/logic is also different on models with it fitted (which I find hard to believe, more likely 'one size fits all') then either the traction control logic is set-up in a way (smart/dumb enough) to allow the LSD to do it's thing or an LSD is almost useless if used with stock traction control switched on. Happy to be told I'm wrong!

For the record, I leave mine on by default and would only consider switching it off if I'm pulling out into/across a small 'window' of traffic. I just don't know if I'm a skillful enough driver to cope without it. It's my responsibility to do something about that but in the meantime it stays on.

Guest Garfy

its part of my start up sequence.

1) disarm and unlock car

2) open door and get in.

3) plug in Ipod

4) turn key (throooommmmmm)

5) TURN STUPID TRACTION CONTROL OFF

6) Put seatbelt on

7) select drive and drive off (not forgeting to shut the door 1st ;) )

:D:p;)

Just to throw something in here, in the wet recently, plenty of standing water and those lorry channels cut into the road - I came off a roundabout onto dual carriageway and eased on some power. The wheels spun up and the back stepped out to the right. I corrected with a "dab of oppo" haha and a lift. Eased in again, same thing happened! Caught it again and gave up trying to accelerate faster than a diesel ford focus :(

Funny thing was, I've got RLTC, perfectly working, and it was set to "wet", the tightest setting. So that was a bit or a surprise. It can't catch them all, ladies and gentlemen, so never ever rely on it. But it can catch the ones *you* weren't expecting ;)

-Ian

Just to throw something in here, in the wet recently, plenty of standing water and those lorry channels cut into the road - I came off a roundabout onto dual carriageway and eased on some power. The wheels spun up and the back stepped out to the right. I corrected with a "dab of oppo" haha and a lift. Eased in again, same thing happened! Caught it again and gave up trying to accelerate faster than a diesel ford focus :(

Funny thing was, I've got RLTC, perfectly working, and it was set to "wet", the tightest setting. So that was a bit or a surprise. It can't catch them all, ladies and gentlemen, so never ever rely on it. But it can catch the ones *you* weren't expecting ;)

-Ian

Diesel? ;)

Were your front wheels straight? If so, you'll actually have 5% slip allowance from the box. You only get the full zero tolerance mode when the fronts are passed a certain amount of turn.

At least, I think that's what Phil Terminator was getting at.

1) disarm and unlock car

2) open door and get in.

3) plug in Ipod

6) Put seatbelt on

Wouldn't that mean you'll just end up in your dining room? ;)

I do the same really, and its becoming like a 'pre-flight check. Turning things on, and things off, then I'm ready. I'm sure most people just get in and go!

Its better to be organised before 'lift-off' than chasing around after IMO :)

Edited by AndrewOW (see edit history)

1) disarm and unlock car

2) open door and get in.

3) plug in Ipod

6) Put seatbelt on

That's all well and good but think of the outcome when a horde of flesh-eating zombies is shuffling it's way inexorably towards you. :blink:

Which dat file are you using Ian? Phil's got a few different dat files configured for different requirements, I'm using the 6spd fast road configuraton on mine, but was thinking of swapping to the medium dat file to give me more of a broad range of adjustment. I have copies of these if needed.

Auto fast road track.dat

6 speed medium enthusiatic.dat

6 speed tight winter.dat

Auto medium enthusiastic.dat

Auto tight winter.dat

6 speed fast road track.dat

Just to throw something in here, in the wet recently, plenty of standing water and those lorry channels cut into the road - I came off a roundabout onto dual carriageway and eased on some power. The wheels spun up and the back stepped out to the right. I corrected with a "dab of oppo" haha and a lift. Eased in again, same thing happened! Caught it again and gave up trying to accelerate faster than a diesel ford focus :( Funny thing was, I've got RLTC, perfectly working, and it was set to "wet", the tightest setting. So that was a bit or a surprise.

What type of configuration are you using - I think I installed the fast road / track config supplied from a member on here (Terminator I think it was?) and it's been working pretty well ever since, so I've not had reason to change it yet.

You could tinker with some of the thresholds using laptop to make it trigger more readily, but it's a fine line between it catching everything and cutting in too eagerly during normal driving - and if it starts doing that, that's when the temptation to turn it off comes along lol

It can't catch them all, ladies and gentlemen, so never ever rely on it. But it can catch the ones *you* weren't expecting ;)

-Ian

That's true enough, I don't think any system could work in a totally fool-proof way in "every" situation (too many variables), but it works in the majority of cases - well certainly a vast improvement on stock and also IMHO on having no TC too (although I'm happy to turn it right down or off in controlled situations).

Interesting to hear that though, I'll remember to watch out for it.

I've found almost the other situation, usually when exiting a bend (often low speed

I think (could be wrong) a _lot_ of supra crashes happen in this scenario - low speed exiting of bend, throttle opened a bit, back end swings out - ending in tears. So in that respect I'm happy it's over-zelous if anything!

I think that's partly where stock TC is so poor, it's both slow to respond (often after the event) and on - off, like a switch (which can make things worse!) - at least a decent TC system should be fast, progressive, configurable and adjustable (so allow driver to adjust to conditions and driving mood / style).

Edited by chilli (see edit history)

inthe dry its something like this

1, get in and start car

2, turn rltc to off

3, switch boost to 1.4

4, scare my self silly:d

in the wet

1, get in and start car

2, make sure rltc is on zero slip

3, make sure boost is set at 1bar

4, drive like miss daisy:d

Guest Garfy
Wouldn't that mean you'll just end up in your dining room? ;)

aha, well spotted, I wondered why the front of my car is full of scratches, and its drafty in my dinning room :)

I find mine accelerates faster with it off too.... I thought it was a placebo effect until one day I put my foot down and thought something was slightly different and slower. Then I noticed I hadn't turned it off. Turned it off, and felt more power... This has happened to me a few too many time for me to think that the TC doesn't have some adverse affects on the power.

How can the car feel quicker with trac control off? I'm genuinely intrigued - having it switched on doesn't limit the power in anyway, so how can it limit how quick the car is? Unless of course you drive in such a way that TRC is constantly cutting in, in which case it'll obviously feel quicker, 'cause it will be. Maybe it's a J-spec thing ;)

How can the car feel quicker with trac control off? I'm genuinely intrigued - having it switched on doesn't limit the power in anyway, so how can it limit how quick the car is? Unless of course you drive in such a way that TRC is constantly cutting in, in which case it'll obviously feel quicker, 'cause it will be. Maybe it's a J-spec thing ;)

I suspect that this is whats happening as the traction is on the limit when I floor it, even at speed, so the TC will definitely be trying its luck...

well im going to be driving alot more with it off from now on, and go from there, maybe im nuts i dun know, but the other fellow says it seems faster aswell, so its not just me. im wondering if newer cars are like this, say a top end merc or bmw, maybe its suppose to be like it. everyone on here next time you are out and about try it, drive for a bit with it on and then switch it off, ive got an auto tho so carnt say what the manual is like, this the first car ive owned with TC fitted so. again maybe im just imagining it.