The mkiv Supra Owners Club

N/A Spluttering Issue

MattP

Haha Bloody southeners..... no Ive just always called them points and plugs merely because of how they are configured in the car IE: the leads are on the plugs it just seemed easier than saying ignition leads forgive me I am but a novice, If I get any worse with my writing habits il end up text speaking.:(

The only type of intake sensor that air filter oil markedly affects is a hot wire air flow sensor. The N/A doesn't use one, so it won't be that.

I was under the impression the N/A was map sensor. Just check the vac pipe hasn't popped off the fuel pressure reg or the map sensor as this will cause it to run like a dog.

*edit* I see your already a long way into a strip down, my Bad. :D

Lyndon.

Edited by Nodalmighty (see edit history)

Progress has been made as per your friendly advice chaps I removed the rocker covers cleaned the edges and refitted the covers, there was a large deposit of oil and water in the 5th and 6th spark plug holes so I blasted the holes with compressed air and wiped the surrounding area clean.

I have then removed the plugs and leads and gave them a wipe to get rid of the oil and water deposits as Chris Wilson had mentioned is a common problem fouling the electrical current I imagine, The rest of the bits I have now refitted and on the first start up hey presto all is well.

I have still Bought some new

NGK iridium plugs

OEM HT leads

Distributor cap

Rotor arm

Ignition coil

I will leave the car for now and see how it runs and just keep hold of these spare parts for my N/A-T coversion

Regards Matt

I have never known, in 38 years in the trade, a whining gearbox to be fixed by changing the oil. I used to have a trader customer who bought the most dilapidated sheds you could imagine, nearly always with whining gearboxes or diffs, and often with the engine oil pressure warning light winking all the time at idle, and sod all oil pressure on the move. His instructions were always the same. "Change the oils lad, she's got a tiny bit of transmission whine, and there's something up with the oil pressure switch. He would never accept the things were knackered and needed engine rebuilds and gearbox rebuilds. I guess he was a star at finding deaf buyers as he was very successful and is still going strong ;) he bought a V12 E Type (awful things....) and it had 20 PSI oil pressure when revved like hell. It had nothing at all on the gauge at idle, the red light was on all the time at idle, and it knocked when revved in neutral when hot. Two oil changes (and they hold a LOT of oil) and three filter changes, plus two secondhand oil pressure sender units later he admitted it was goosed. I felt bad pouring the 90 weight gear oil into the engine, but the customer is always right, and I did as I was told in those days, eeking out a living in a cruel world. The oil pressure when cold was now a healthy looking 95 PSI and no light showed, nor knock heard. It was cold when it drove through the auction the next week..... It also fetched good money. Caveat emptor!!!

It looks like I may need an N/A rocker gasket set as well, mines has started spluttering today, would the oil in the plugwells also cause the car to seem like it was hunting at idle too?? I did Iridium plugs, new leads, new cap and rotor arm when I 1st got the car and the back plugs did actually seem to be oily, I just put it down to bad maintenance. I didnt even link the two issues until re reading this thread!

The two plugwells at the end of the block were drowned with oil but I could not see into them.

It Is allot easier to clean with the rocker covers off as the middle spark plug cover comes out with the rocker cover bolts the whole process does not take that long either