The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Using my SZ-R as a daily driver, am i mad?

kniff_666

7K!!

do you always light up the tires away from junctions etc.?

Just out of interest, what size wheel/tire combo are you running and at what pressure?

BTW i am using as a daily driver but will probs only do about 9k miles a year

i am known to have a lead foot yes , i run 235/40 18 front and 265/35 18 rear and have 34psi front and 32psi rear

whats the piont having a fast car and driving it slow

i am known to have a lead foot yes , i run 235/40 18 front and 265/35 18 rear and have 34psi front and 32psi rear

whats the piont having a fast car and driving it slow

Exactly,

There is a good saying that says:

"its more fun driving a slow car fast, than driving a fast car slow"

Therefore, always drive fast, what ever you drive! :D

Thing is for the mileage im going to do day to day, fuel isnt going to be that much of a problem.

100 miles a week, probably not going to be a huge amount more than my LCR, that only every returned 24 to 26MPG on a good day :D 16mpg with the foot down :D

Had my sup about 3wks and managed to get about 25-26 mpg the first week. (driving relatively slowly while i got used to driving her)

this last time i filled up i worked out i got around 22mpg as i have started to test her out a bit more.

It is only the NA version tho.

I use mine on normally a daily occurrence. However i work in the security industry and hate leaving it in places that are public and very populated by drunk teens. I find sup goes great over long distances but they love to drink fuel on short trips.. maybe start using the mrs clio for night work.

Mine is just my toy so cant really comment on daily use, but its comfortable enough to used as a daily driver. My Allroad is cheaper to use for running about though and I dont mind as much if it gets a bit mucky in the back....I do a lot of wheeling and dealing so the back always has wheels or some such paraphernalia in it!

Ok guys a quick update:

Still using as a daily driver and i have noticed a few things (squeaks/rattles/bumps etc.):

1. Somewhere in the interior (in the back) i am getting a knocking when over patchy surfaces, i think this is the typical rubber pads for the boot that have gone. (needs some adjustment)

2. Rear speakers foam surround has degraded and now they buzz when the radio is on. (need new ones, any suggestions?)

3. Rattle from under the car at ~1750rpm. I am pretty sure this is the heat shield around exhaust. (anyone any ideas on how to secure it properly?)

4. dash board near the windsrceen squeaks and rattles a little when cold in mornings

just though i would give you an update on these. I plan on sorting out all these issues in the very near future so if anyone can offer assistance it would be appreciated.

I'd never use mine as a daily, a few main reasons:

1) I never want it to see salt, I like to keep the underneath clean and rust/dirt free.

2) My last tires only lasted 1500 miles and at £250 a corner this adds up quick.

3) I'm always working on it and don't want to have to feel rushed that everything has to be done on the weekend.

4) I like it to feel like it's a special occasion each time I take it out, not just another day.

5) It's my baby and I like to keep it warm in the garage under a cover, not out in the wet/cold:d

I'd never use mine as a daily, a few main reasons:

1) I never want it to see salt, I like to keep the underneath clean and rust/dirt free.

2) My last tires only lasted 1500 miles and at £250 a corner this adds up quick.

3) I'm always working on it and don't want to have to feel rushed that everything has to be done on the weekend.

4) I like it to feel like it's a special occasion each time I take it out, not just another day.

5) It's my baby and I like to keep it warm in the garage under a cover, not out in the wet/cold:d

I understand what you are saying.

Working on the car at the weekend only is a downside to a daily driver. I hate trying to squeeze in tasks in the evenings or just at weekends.

BUT

Using it as a daily driver i feel more connected to it.

I know all the little squeaks and rattles and "normal" noises it makes. It still gets a lot of attention and very well looked after.

After all it is a car and it is designed to be driven.

Having said that. If i had garage space and enough capital i would only use my baby at weekends. It then becomes special (as you said).

But the choice i had was for one car and in use everyday.

Therefore, it was supra or nothing!:)

It took me a long time to find the right one but i got her. :search:

I dont use my Supra as a daily driver purely because of the extortionate petrol prices and business use in my job (I clock anywhere between 20-30 miles daily, not to mention I usually work 6 days a week)..., it soon adds up.

My Supra is a toy, and like marc_p said, drivinng it should feel like a special occasion and a priviledge to drive such a prestigious car. Personally I like tanking my little 1.0l ecotec corsa (red shed) around town, saving £'s, and spending the spare cash on the Supra, Holidays, and days out :).

But each to their own I suppose, I agree that these cars are built to be driven and enjoyed, not garage queens. But I also enjoy looking forward to getting home from a long stressful day at work, jumping in the Supra with the missus or mates and heading out for the evening. :) I love my Supra ^-^!! haha

Used my na then my bpu every day. But never had to travel more than 5 miles or so a day. Hardly gets warmed up lol. But they were faultless. My new single will be used every day too when it's got a quieter exhaust, a full interior and softer ride sorted out. :)

I dont use my Supra as a daily driver purely because of the extortionate petrol prices and business use in my job

I was going to use that reason aswell but my actual daily is a Prodrive tuned Impreza, which is proberly worse when driving sensibly :D.

I use my supra daily i looked for one for 3 three years i finally got her and i use her everyday and i just can't get enough of her, everyday feels just as good as the last i just hate getting at work parking her up and seeing her sat there all day wanting to be driven i will keep using mine everyday i know with tyers etc the price will add up but hey its a supra they are worth it :) i don't have any mods on mine i'm happy with her all standard like the day she left the factory in japan :innocent:

i used to use mine everyday, i loved driving it but didnt like putting the miles on it and leaving it on the farm. we had speedbumps on the drive :complain: so bought a fiesta zs and use that everyday. saves the supra for the weekend and kept driving it feel special, oh and petrol was a biggie. fiesta has pretty much paid for itself in the 8 or so months ive had it :)

the knocking in the back is the rubbers at the back of the tailgate , you need to change the ones on the wings AND the plastic part on the tailgate, the rubber part can be a real pain, if you havent tried already I would get a expert to repair the dash, you will not see the repair if it's done well.