The mkiv Supra Owners Club

New guy from Scotland

Gazz

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you a payed up member, If so then you will be able to see the multimedia section bur yeah its the silver 1 and i really need to update my pics in my garage lol

nah im not a payed up member :) not yet anyway lol

Welcome mate, I'm in Dundee so I'm quite close :)

Not many Supras around this area. Aberdeen and Glasgow area have a few, but inbetween there's only a handful.

nah think iv only seen 1 or 2 supras in montrose over the years... another reason why i want them :) pretty rare around my area :)

Inbetween folk are all special :p

i am special!!! :D im one of a kind :)

its finding a UK model though... thats the problem lol + i dont have the money for a TT :(

Going by the cars you are looking at you don't have money for a decent 5spd N/A either though. You will need to be very lucky to get a decent one for 2k. It's happened time and time again on this forum where if you buy cheap, you buy twice. There are members right now who know exactly that, unfortunately.

You need to be very realistic about what you want to spend vs what condition car you actually want. There can be nothing worse than skimping on buying your dream car only to end up with a dog, it would put me off for life to be honest.

Theres a team beard meet on saturday 8th april, 8.30pm union square aberdeen if your up for it dude.

yea i could do ill have to wait and see what both work''s rota's look like though... shall keep you informed :)

Going by the cars you are looking at you don't have money for a decent 5spd N/A either though. You will need to be very lucky to get a decent one for 2k. It's happened time and time again on this forum where if you buy cheap, you buy twice. There are members right now who know exactly that, unfortunately.

You need to be very realistic about what you want to spend vs what condition car you actually want. There can be nothing worse than skimping on buying your dream car only to end up with a dog, it would put me off for life to be honest.

that £2k one was only one of many i have looked at... if my corsa sells at my asking price of 3650 then i have all that to buy a supra :) that one i linked i had to go get it first (800mile round trip) then i was going to have about £1000 spare cash to either fix some problems or buy a whole year insurance outright rather than pay monthly, so realistly if i wasnt going to think about insurances i will have roughly 3000-3500 for a new supra realisticly :)

Just be careful. The Supra is a fantastic car but it can easily leave you in a lot of trouble if you don't have spare money. It sounds like you are stretching yourself very thinly in order to buy one.

Lets say you get a minter for £3.5k that doesn't need anything than some loving with a claybar and fuel in the tank. Add to that around £1500 insurance and the car is costing you £5k + tax + fuel. The Supra will get you around 20mpg, a gallon of fuel is costing almost £6.50 so that's the cost of every 20 miles. If you plan on doing 10k this year (conservative daily drive mileage) then that's going to cost you £3250. This leaves you wil a lovely yearly total of around £8500 (including road tax).

Your initial outlay is obviously going to be the price of the car so if you want to pay everything else monthly the insurance is probably going to increase by around 15% thanks to crazy APR figures. That would break down as follows...

Insurance - £145 per month

Fuel - £270 per month

Total - £415 per month

This doesn't take account of any repairs, anything initially wrong with the car or anything that does go wrong with the car. If you get an unrepairable puncture then you will need to spend around £100-£150 per corner on tyres, as you need premium tyres. Everything on these cars is expensive, regardless of how cheaply you can pick them up 2nd hand they are still a prestige sports car which commands a prestige parts cost.

I'm honestly not trying to put you off, I just want to make sure you know exactly what you are letting yourself in for and are under no illusions.

yea i fully understand :)

fancy recalculating that with £1000 insurance and 3000 miles a year xD

i know thay are exspensive cars to run its either this or a integra but i am determined to own a supra :)

and with 1 job giving me a extra 10 hours a week which is a big help... and hopefully leaving 1 to become a retained fireman will get me even more money into the bank :)

yea i fully understand :)

fancy recalculating that with £1000 insurance and 3000 miles a year xD

i know thay are exspensive cars to run its either this or a integra but i am determined to own a supra :)

and with 1 job giving me a extra 10 hours a week which is a big help... and hopefully leaving 1 to become a retained fireman will get me even more money into the bank :)

Where are you being quoted £1k? That doesn't sound right at all given your age and experience, given what other members in similar circumstances have been quoted over the years. Be very sure that the insurance company is getting everything correct, they are idiots for the most part and screw things up constantly with regards to quoting Supras. As an example, an insurance company will give you a quote for a non-import N/A Supra, a car that doesn't exist. They will also quote you prices for a MKIII thinking it's a MKIV etc, it's a minefield at times. Last thing you want is to find out you aren't covered when in a prang, as they hold you wholely responsible for insuring your car and making sure the details are correct.

3k miles per year makes a massive difference obviously, but is the supra not going to be your daily driver? I can almost guarantee that if the Supra is your only car you will do more than 3k miles, even just for the hell of it :D

60 miles per week doesn't sound right at all for a daily driver. I do more miles than that just going to a meet.

Where are you being quoted £1k? That doesn't sound right at all given your age and experience, given what other members in similar circumstances have been quoted over the years. Be very sure that the insurance company is getting everything correct, they are idiots for the most part and screw things up constantly with regards to quoting Supras. As an example, an insurance company will give you a quote for a non-import N/A Supra, a car that doesn't exist. They will also quote you prices for a MKIII thinking it's a MKIV etc, it's a minefield at times. Last thing you want is to find out you aren't covered when in a prang, as they hold you wholely responsible for insuring your car and making sure the details are correct.

3k miles per year makes a massive difference obviously, but is the supra not going to be your daily driver? I can almost guarantee that if the Supra is your only car you will do more than 3k miles, even just for the hell of it :D

60 miles per week doesn't sound right at all for a daily driver. I do more miles than that just going to a meet.

yea last year i phoned up an insurance company (adrian flux) and told them 5 speed non turbo import last year gave them the reg etc etc and they quoted me £1300 last year so this year will be cheaper... (i also live in a very low risk area grade A or something on the post code thing)

yea it will be my daily driver i think the first little while ill do some milage just enjoying the supra but realistly i only do aprox 3000 miles

last MOT in start may i did 58550 miles and im currently sitting at 62,600 ish (and 2 weeks ago or so i traveled down to hull and back so thats added 800 miles onto it which i wouldnt normally do) so i roughly do 3k a year :)

+ i dont go in my words "dicking about town" any more my work is only 1.5 miles away and i normally only travel to and from work :p

yea last year i phoned up an insurance company (adrian flux) and told them 5 speed non turbo import last year gave them the reg etc etc and they quoted me £1300 last year so this year will be cheaper... (i also live in a very low risk area grade A or something on the post code thing)

yea it will be my daily driver i think the first little while ill do some milage just enjoying the supra but realistly i only do aprox 3000 miles

last MOT in start may i did 58550 miles and im currently sitting at 62,600 ish (and 2 weeks ago or so i traveled down to hull and back so thats added 800 miles onto it which i wouldnt normally do) so i roughly do 3k a year :)

Insurance has gone up this year unfortunately, by quite a high amount. Your age category will most likely have sky rocketed too as it seems the younger drivers are getting hammered most, as usual.

I would maybe ring around a few places to see exactly where you stand and make sure you are happy with paying those sorts of insurance costs. If you are set on the 3k miles per annum thing you can tell the insurance company this. Bare in mind you will need to prove this as if they suspect you have gone over your mileage your insurance is null and void. If you want to partake in the club events then you may find yourself doing high-miles runs with all of us. A trip down to the lower regions of England is a yearly event for most of us, with trips to Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh not being a far cry.

I would recommend limiting your mileage to 5k as far as insurance goes, that way you have a fair bit of cushion while still having the limit in there to lower the premium :)

Insurance has gone up this year unfortunately, by quite a high amount. Your age category will most likely have sky rocketed too as it seems the younger drivers are getting hammered most, as usual.

I would maybe ring around a few places to see exactly where you stand and make sure you are happy with paying those sorts of insurance costs. If you are set on the 3k miles per annum thing you can tell the insurance company this. Bare in mind you will need to prove this as if they suspect you have gone over your mileage your insurance is null and void. If you want to partake in the club events then you may find yourself doing high-miles runs with all of us. A trip down to the lower regions of England is a yearly event for most of us, with trips to Aberdeen, Glasgow and Edinburgh not being a far cry.

I would recommend limiting your mileage to 5k as far as insurance goes, that way you have a fair bit of cushion while still having the limit in there to lower the premium :)

i will ring arround a few places as my insurance is up in mid april anyway

also any idea if this garage is decent??

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?d=11046

some nice ones there i see, and might think about a trade in if they accept them

aberdeen is only a round trip of max 80 miles rest is a bit more im kinda cental :p

i will ring arround a few places as my insurance is up in mid april anyway

also any idea if this garage is decent??

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/list.asp?d=11046

some nice ones there i see, and might think about a trade in if they accept them

aberdeen is only a round trip of max 80 miles rest is a bit more im kinda cental :p

It's still 20 miles over your weekly allowance though.

I'll go bang my head against a wall though, best of luck with it :)

Good Luck Gaz, I picked up my old NA for 2k and never had a problem with it, it was relatively cheap to run also. Insurance isnt too bad, I would highly recommend Sky Insurance on here for a quote, they are the cheapest around that will insure me and give me a brilliant quote on my VXR (atleast £500 cheaper than anyone else).

Scott is right in what he is saying regarding costs though (even though my post above may contradict it in some ways, I guess I was on of the lucky ones to pick up a decent 2k one). The Supra is a lovely car to own, drive etc but you need to respect that it is a sports car (albeit an NA) and if something does go wrong then it can cost you, so make sure that you do have the money for back up available should you need it.

Good luck :)

PS Jurgen only stocks the best, hence why they may seem more expensive than some likely sheds advertised on PH, give him a call and have a chat with him, let him know your budget etc, I'm sure that he will be able to advise you on what you would realistically expect to pay for the supra you want.

Good Luck Gaz, I picked up my old NA for 2k and never had a problem with it, it was relatively cheap to run also. Insurance isnt too bad, I would highly recommend Sky Insurance on here for a quote, they are the cheapest around that will insure me and give me a brilliant quote on my VXR (atleast £500 cheaper than anyone else).

Scott is right in what he is saying regarding costs though (even though my post above may contradict it in some ways, I guess I was on of the lucky ones to pick up a decent 2k one). The Supra is a lovely car to own, drive etc but you need to respect that it is a sports car (albeit an NA) and if something does go wrong then it can cost you, so make sure that you do have the money for back up available should you need it.

Good luck :)

PS Jurgen only stocks the best, hence why they may seem more expensive than some likely sheds advertised on PH, give him a call and have a chat with him, let him know your budget etc, I'm sure that he will be able to advise you on what you would realistically expect to pay for the supra you want.

who is jurgen???

and i think i tried to check for skyline insurance last year on sky insurance said couldnt insure me due to my age :( had to be 23 or 25... but i can easilly give them another go this year if i find a supra :)

ahh ok yea i did that a while ago and got one with PX for my corsa and he needed £700 upfront kinda thing to actually get the supra for me but at the time i didnt have £700 spare :( it was silver quite nice with a wooden interior finnish lol SS exhaust and after market alloys. pretty much standard what i like :)

Edited by Gazz (see edit history)

Hi...welcome along, I'm quite new too and I must tell you...pay your £10 membership straight away. You can do it via Paypal and this means that you wont miss out on any replies or items in the For Sale section etc....I missed out on a few odds and ends while I was waiting for my Paypal to swap money from my bank account...:)