The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Need some info from you guys

Chris6t9

My N/A racks up at least 300 miles a week and has been used every day for the last 6 years. I don't take much notice of running costs anymore; I can afford to run it, so I run it.

I use at least a tank of fuel (60 litres) a week (280-360 miles depending on mood),

A set of tyres a year at £5-600. Then there's brake pads, oil filters, plugs, general servicing; probably looking at £1000-£1500 a year (at a guess) plus tax, MOT & insurance.

Due to age, it's recently had a full set of new brake calipers, rear wishbones, linkages, etc and is due to have the front links done this year, probably totalling around 3 grand for all that lot. Definately worth doing, it drives & handles a lot smoother now (and passes MOT's)

These are old cars now, so you need to factor in things like that or find one that's already been done. Once they're done, they'll probably be good for another 15 years or so.[/QUOTE]

These parts can soon add up can't they ?

Also don't forget about old radiators, intercoolers, heater matrix, air con rad, front cross

members rot quite badly, brake lines rot as their coated steel etc etc

Sure does add up, but glad I did it. The original calipers were goosed and were needing stripping every 3-4 months to stop them binding and it failed it's last MOT on rear bushes.

Yes, I could have just gone for a set of bushes, but for ease of buggering about, it was simpler to just get new arms. Only took me & my dad a couple of hours to replace all the rear linkages.

Sure does add up, but glad I did it. The original calipers were goosed and were needing stripping every 3-4 months to stop them binding and it failed it's last MOT on rear bushes.

Yes, I could have just gone for a set of bushes, but for ease of buggering about, it was simpler to just get new arms. Only took me & my dad a couple of hours to replace all the rear linkages.

So basically your saying ill need to hold back a few thousand for repairs that it will need? lol

Yes. You're looking at buying a >10 year old car. Bushes wear out, brake pins get corroded and stick, rear brake lines rust, hoses go brittle, etc. All the joys of owning/running vintage cars. They're not something you just get into and drive, they need looking after.

If you buy a decently looked after Supra, then a lot of these things may be done, but you are still looking at ariound £1000 per year in general running costs and if you don't have a 'cushion' of at least a grand to cover repairs you will just end up with an old beater (and puppies will cry).

Are you being serious?

In my opinion yes, I enjoy learning the supra, of course I had a lot of help from the forum but replacing parts help me understand the supra more bit by bit.

I had to admit I never had anything bad that needs urgent attention but getting the supra at the stage it is and looking back I have no regrets.

I can sort of agree with what FightersBlue ia saying. On the one hand, he is getting the cae exactly how he wants it and also learning the skills as he goes. There's also the pride when you look back and know you did that yourself.

For me, yes, its shit when something breaks as the supra is my daily driver and needed for a 130 mile drive to work Monday mornings, so its a stress to get sorted ASAP. On the other hand it brings back the love when its all running sweet again. Ive just had a month with a blowing exhaust and it feels great now its fixed.

26-29 mpg as a stocker tt 6spd

22-23 mpg with gt4708 & 280°/11.48mm cams taking it easy (big cams really kill economy)

and about 5 mpg not taking it easy

daily driven to work :)

You must drive like a right granny. Do you do 10mph down the motorway? In fact, even that would put your mpg down.

I can sort of agree with what FightersBlue ia saying. On the one hand, he is getting the cae exactly how he wants it and also learning the skills as he goes. There's also the pride when you look back and know you did that yourself.

For me, yes, its $#@! when something breaks as the supra is my daily driver and needed for a 130 mile drive to work Monday mornings, so its a stress to get sorted ASAP. On the other hand it brings back the love when its all running sweet again. Ive just had a month with a blowing exhaust and it feels great now its fixed.

Spot on. About learning new skills and proud of what can be achieve with a little help from the forum.

I don't mind when parts need replacing, it gives me an excuse to upgrade them :D

Yup that's how I justified buying new upgrades :D

I own a bpu tt. It is thirsty work, but i dont use it all the time. Just sees the summerr and even then i use it on weekends and m maybe once to work.

I use my 900cc corsa mostly. Cheap to insure and great on fuel.

I think if i only had my supra i woudnt enjoy it as much would probably cost me 60 a week in comuting (20 miles a day)

I had a Type R before, the fuel usage will be another 40% more of what you are using now. The power difference will be A LOT more!

Do you have any experience in RWD cars?

No i dont mate im only 22, had a vw golf mk4 1.4 before the type r, so ill just have to take it easy for a while lol. Nice car btw, i believe yours was the white one at bluewater or am i wrong? Because my girlfriend liked the number plate. (shes called abi) lol.