The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dangerously Overheating!!!

Fitz

You could have the head taken off and checked and if its within tolerance get it

skimmed and re fit it

If its out of tolerance find a replacement engine and you could either take

the head off and fit it or fit the whole engine

I'd get some labour quotes from your garage for the various scenarios and take

it from there and see if theres any engines forsale

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You could have the head taken off and checked and if its within tolerance get it

skimmed and re fit it

If its out of tolerance find a replacement engine and you could either take

the head off and fit it or fit the whole engine

I'd get some labour quotes from your garage for the various scenarios and take

it from there and see if theres any engines forsale

Usually, I use Paul over at Whifbitz for any work that needs doing on the car but he's a bit out of the way to run a pressure test etc plus, the car wouldn't have made it.

I'm not really sure on Garages around here as I've only just moved to the area. It took a few garages to find one that could do the pressure test. I did ask if they could do anything in relation the to head gasket problem but they said its not something they usually delve into.

Looks like you have some searching to do then just to find a decent garage, i'd call Whifbitz

and get some prices from them for the various routes you could take though.

They should be able to give you an accurate quote to say swap the head or an engine change

seeing as their doing this all the time

I would give Keron a call for a price to swap the engines over, if anyone's going to a spare N/A engine it's him. The only extra cost would be having the car trailered to him and I would imagine he could even arrange that if need be.

I would give Keron a call for a price to swap the engines over, if anyone's going to a spare N/A engine it's him. The only extra cost would be having the car trailered to him and I would imagine he could even arrange that if need be.

Just dropped him a PM

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My new supra had the same symptoms, the previous owner said it was overheating etc, drove it down from Cheshire at night, didn't over heat once, I drove it for a week, it finally overheated last Sunday, removed the rad cap to find part of the plunger has broken off!

Replaced with a Toyota one and topped the coolant up and it seems to be fine now! It should be 1.1 not 0.9 also :)