The mkiv Supra Owners Club

please help - loud bang, now car won't start

Guest chris t4

Hey Chris, I just re-read your first post and it seems obvious that TDI did something wrong. Nevermind their reputation, they screwed up your engine. You drove it 100 yards after they had worked on it and it went bang. What do they have to say? Maybe someone left a fuse out or shorted the connection that I don't know on the Supra but to check the timing?

The mechanic could simply have forgotten something. Was it on a Friday afternoon?

Never let anyone touch your engine on a Friday afternoon unless you know them.

Agree.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tdi are really well known and they said the set up was the nuts and all presures and temps were perfect only running half bar of boost so internal damage is probably not the case, (so stop scaring me.) ive had it on three diagnostics now and none will comunicate with the car, so how can i check it my self, and if so tell me in datail how to do it please, so that i can show the guy tommorrow. cheers

If the guy has got any sort of clue he should be able to tell you what's wrong without fault codes or any real Supra knowledge. It needs air, fuel and a spark at the right time, with valve events occurring at the right time, like any other internal combustion spark ignition engine. Mechanical health is down to compression, leakdown and valve timing checking. There must be some good Spanish mechanics, they can't all be like Manuel in Fawlty Towers, surely? There is absolutely nothing particularly unusual or special about a MKIV TT engine when it comes to diagnosing a none start condition. If he can make a dead Seat run he can make a dead MKIV TT fire up.

If the guy has got any sort of clue he should be able to tell you what's wrong without fault codes or any real Supra knowledge. It needs air, fuel and a spark at the right time, with valve events occurring at the right time, like any other internal combustion spark ignition engine. Mechanical health is down to compression, leakdown and valve timing checking. There must be some good Spanish mechanics, they can't all be like Manuel in Fawlty Towers, surely? There is absolutely nothing particularly unusual or special about a MKIV TT engine when it comes to diagnosing a none start condition. If he can make a dead Seat run he can make a dead MKIV TT fire up.

I'm sure they aren't ALL like this, but this was apparently a well thought of tuner.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?233804-spanish-tuner-who-is-building-my-car-NOT

Guest chris t4

right im back, and i have been reading all the posts just i havent had time to reply sorry

good news and bad news,,,, i have found the problem, the bottom crank pulley had sheared of the ring from the back resulting in false crank shaft readings and none starting, also the belt was fooked, and on top of that the bottom pulley for aux belt also was totally boloxed, so at least ive found the problem thank god, and thank you guys for the advice,,,

where would the best place be to get all three parts? and would it better to put a kevlar belt on it,

thanks again

oh and just so you can all have a laugh the car went into tdi,s on new years eve.

Genuine crank pulley from Toyota along with the belt and any other bits you need

You can possibly get a little used one from elsewhere, i got one of CW that had only

done a few hundred miles, genuine Toyota crank pulleys arent cheap though

and are over £300 with the vat

give Steve Manley a call as he will post one to you and give you a good price

01865 291333

Guest chris t4
Not sure what you mean by sheared off the ring? Unless the crank trigger start wheel is loose or damaged, or the crank sensor itelf is damaged a damper that has lost the rubber bonded outer ring will not cause no start issues. I did have two ultra low hours pulleys, both sold ages ago though.

the crank pulley has a a toothed ring at the back of it for the crank sensor, this was loose from the actuall crank pulley so spinning independent fron the crank pulley

it bent, and sorry for asking but whats the crank gear?

Its the part were the timing belt is fitted to, its what spins round when engine is runnning and the crankshaft sensor gets its signal from. the crank pulley is the part the alternator/water pump belt spins on.

Guest chris t4
Here you go,crank gear

thats whats gone, i did put that in my last post, i might of worded it wrong, but yes thats what i need and the ring on the back of that gear is bent and f..ked also the gears teeth are all worn. im just pleased ive got to the bottom of it

So the damper has been run loose, and the clamping pressure on the trigger wheel has been lost so it came away from it's boss? I always TIG them together a bit better. Welding is a bit better than the crimping that Toyota use, but they are fine unless the damper comes loose. Let's hope it's not worn the nose of the crank or damaged the damper keyway.