The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Coilovers: HSD's vs MeisterR Zeta R's

spikedjack

Not quite PC that one is it Chris ;) :innocent:

b***er, never thought of that, trust you! :) You'll be calling me Paul next.

I had to do a double take and thought 'surely not?' :D

I bought my HSDs last year and they're much better than the bone shaking experience I had prior to that :)

I think my everyday road settings are a little less firm than Scotts.

There's a huge amount of misinformation and misunderstanding of suspension in this forum, but generally it's people mistaking how damper stiffness settings V spring rate stiffness work, and should be set. There's loads of info out there on damper setup, from single adjustable units that alter just one facet, to 4 way adjustables. Their set up is pretty general across all makes and types, in relation to how the car responds.

Probably 90% of Supras that have modified suspension are too stiff for road usage and are actually worse than stock, but it's human nature to like to think it's better after spending a lot of time and money altering it :) It is remarkably easy to make a car worse by altering stock suspension components. Improving it to any marked degree FOR ROAD USAGE in all conditions is very hard.

There's a huge amount of misinformation and misunderstanding of suspension in this forum, but generally it's people mistaking how damper stiffness settings V spring rate stiffness work, and should be set. There's loads of info out there on damper setup, from single adjustable units that alter just one facet, to 4 way adjustables. Their set up is pretty general across all makes and types, in relation to how the car responds.

Probably 90% of Supras that have modified suspension are too stiff for road usage and are actually worse than stock, but it's human nature to like to think it's better after spending a lot of time and money altering it :) It is remarkably easy to make a car worse by altering stock suspension components. Improving it to any marked degree FOR ROAD USAGE in all conditions is very hard.

Thanks for the info Chris, so would you agree that a stiffer suspension setup would hinder the grip the tyres have in the wet?

Stiffer springs will make grip less on bumpy surfaces, very GENERALLY speaking, especially stiffer springs with not enough ride height so the car's also on the bump stops in compression. Or stiff springs incorrectly damped. A car set up to be good on the race track is usually horrendous on a normal road. This is why tramac rally cars use exotic suspension and the crews are constantly altering things to match predicted stage surfaces.

Stiffer springs will make grip less on bumpy surfaces, very GENERALLY speaking, especially stiffer springs with not enough ride height so the car's also on the bump stops in compression. Or stiff springs incorrectly damped. A car set up to be good on the race track is usually horrendous on a normal road. This is why tramac rally cars use exotic suspension and the crews are constantly altering things to match predicted stage surfaces.

This is kind of the point that James May was trying to prove on Top Gear last night, any car that has been set up for the Nurburgring just isn't going to be nice on the road.

Really appreciate your input Chris, I'll keep this in mind when I come round to replacing the suspension on my car.

If I were to say buy a set of HSD's and run them on the softest setting, will that setup be suitable for general road use or will this still be considered too stiff?

Thank you.

Really appreciate your input Chris, I'll keep this in mind when I come round to replacing the suspension on my car.

If I were to say buy a set of HSD's and run them on the softest setting, will that setup be suitable for general road use or will this still be considered too stiff?

Thank you.

Impossible to say, know idea what spring rates they have, how much travel they have, what sort of internals the dampers have, how sophisticated the valving in them is, blah blah. I know I sell them, but the most sophisticated off the shelf dampers for not much money are Bilsteins. But they are painted plain yellow, with no purple anodizing, they are not easily height adjustable, are not featured in glossy go faster mags, adorned with semi naked tattooed bimbos, and come in boring cardboard boxes. So they have limited appeal, save to those that know what goes on inside of these devices, and more to the point, those that care :) There's a lot more to suspension than "The Stance".

Impossible to say, know idea what spring rates they have, how much travel they have, what sort of internals the dampers have, how sophisticated the valving in them is, blah blah. I know I sell them, but the most sophisticated off the shelf dampers for not much money are Bilsteins. But they are painted plain yellow, with no purple anodizing, they are not easily height adjustable, are not featured in glossy go faster mags, adorned with semi naked tattooed bimbos, and come in boring cardboard boxes. So they have limited appeal, save to those that know what goes on inside of these devices, and more to the point, those that care :) There's a lot more to suspension than "The Stance".

LOL :) Point taken, so how much is a set of these Bilsteins?

And do you have any used/rebuilt one's?