The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Had a knock on the door from the police about my car...

Guigsy

Well, here's my own story to complement Guigsy own of evil neighbours. Me and me missus live in London in one of them terraced houses with no drive. Been away from the UK for almost 10 years working for the Govt, and came back to our house in mid last year. I promptly went out after about 3 weeks and bought an FTO, parked on the street, with my Jaguar. Bought it with no tax, but promptly taxed it within a week of buying the car, after doing the MOT.

So I was waiting for the tax disc to arrive, when on a Saturday, needed to go somewhere urgent and wanted to take the FTO for a run about. I came out of my house to find that my FTO has been clamped by a clamping company working for the DVLA, who clamped the car by 10.40am and closed their office by 11am, leaving me with no FTO till Monday, and a holding bill of £240 plus £100 for getting clamped in the first instance.

A petty jealous neighbor had called them, claiming I had no tax.

I jacked the car up, with the intention of slipping the clamp undamaged off the wheel, since I can legally leave the car for 5 days without displaying after buying tax. To my surprise, 10 mins in, a police car turns up beside me, on my quiet, normally un-patrolled street and starts questioning me about what I was doing to my car.

I got belligerent and told them I was changing my tire, and that I hope it hasn't become a crime in this police state called Britain to change one's own car tire. Turns out the same woman had called the cops on me too, having come out of her house when she thought no one was looking to check that the car was clamped earlier. To be fair on the cops though, the copper lady advised me to be careful of my neighbors, and that it was a great waste of time and money to be called out for something like this.

All ended relatively well, cos I called DVLA on Monday, who agreed I was right, sent the clamping company down to remove the clamp and I didn't have to pay a penny. Was left without a car till the Monday though, which sucked big time cos the wifey was using the Jag and I missed several important appointments.

Learnt that not everyone that smiles at you in the morning is your friend or likes you, or wishes you well.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic