The mkiv Supra Owners Club

2 stroke oil in a diesel?

tbourner

not heard that tbh but 200-1 would make no diffrence at all, a mate of mine use's kero in his jeep to stop the diesel from waxing and mix it 50 - 50 as its alot cheaper then normal fuel, as its mixed with road diesel you cant tell when being dipped so no worries of getting a fine. so he tells me.

Edited by little num (see edit history)

I would have to ask why on earth you would want to add anything to the diesel? It has all the additives needed for good pump life and good all weather performance and low waxing. I certainly wouldn't add it to any modern diesel engine of mine, not that I have one.

Because with the Honda it's a constant search for refinement and quiet running - I haven't done an oil change for about 3000 miles and it's starting to sound a bit clattery again, right after the change it sounds like a petrol! Also it's supposed to help with starting and idling smoothly, and since mine I think could do with a new battery and a fuel filter it's a bit tough to start and doesn't idle very well! :D

I'm not that fussed, it's just another thing to do, if there's risks then I won't bother, but LOTS of people in the states do it, and I'm hearing more people over here are doing it as well.

I definitely wouldn't put additives in the diesel, common rail diesel pumps are jewel like creations and won't thank you fiddling with their lubrication. Diesels ARE clattery and noisy, the mixture doesn't burn from a spark ignition, it explodes through sheer compressive forces. It's price you pay for, well, for whatever reason you decided to buy a compression ignition engined car. Price up a fuel pump and injectors and decide then if you want to be a fuel scientist, or to leave it to BP and Honda ;) Modern diesels are quite efficient when they work properly, but eye wateringly expensive if they go wrong, honestly, I'd leave the thing alone, change the oil every 10,000 or whatever Honda recommends, and turn the stereo up to drown out the tractor noises. Cold start issues are HIGHLY unlikely to be helped by adding 2 stroke oil to the fuel. If the Yanks do it that's a very good reason not to, in my books :)

Because with the Honda it's a constant search for refinement and quiet running - I haven't done an oil change for about 3000 miles and it's starting to sound a bit clattery again, right after the change it sounds like a petrol! Also it's supposed to help with starting and idling smoothly, and since mine I think could do with a new battery and a fuel filter it's a bit tough to start and doesn't idle very well! :D

I'm not that fussed, it's just another thing to do, if there's risks then I won't bother, but LOTS of people in the states do it, and I'm hearing more people over here are doing it as well.

Am i reading you put the 2 stroke oil in the engine oil of the diesel not in the fuel ?

Anyone heard of putting 2 stroke oil into a diesel fuel tank? 200:1 ratio (the same as a 2 stroke engine?). Supposedly makes it run a lot smoother and start easier in cold weather.

Am i reading you put the 2 stroke oil in the engine oil of the diesel not in the fuel ?

:)

Adding two stroke to diesel is pretty common in older engines as it provides greater upper cylinder lubrication, but it's not a great idea with some modern diesels. If the car has a diesel particulate filter fitted, the ash produced by burning the two stroke can block the filter.

Cheers

Tim

Adding two stroke to diesel is pretty common in older engines as it provides greater upper cylinder lubrication, but it's not a great idea with some modern diesels. If the car has a diesel particulate filter fitted, the ash produced by burning the two stroke can block the filter.

Cheers

Tim

So it's only a bad idea on diesels with DPF? And that's due to the ash content - so if you use JASO FC or FD oil with zero ash content you're safe?

I went for the Gen7 (pre 2008) mainly because of the DPF (as well as cost of course). If I upgrade to a Gen8 I'll be getting a petrol. I'm also looking at getting my EGR deleted via remap in the next few months, just another pointless thing that causes more problems than it solves!

Anyway; I think the upshot of it is do not use 2 stroke in your fuel if you have a DPF, and if you don't you can go ahead, but may be risking gumming up other high tolerance components - it's relatively low risk but you have to weigh up against the potential (claimed) gains and see if it's worth it.