The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Central locking not working!!

Velociraptor

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
Out of interest, does this fault prevent the internal switch working too? Mine has started central locking but not central opening, from either the fob, or the internal switch.

Or does this not sound like the same fault?

:banghead:

replacement ECU arrived from Keron, and after tearing my arms apart replacing the ECU through the glovebox (there has to be an easier way) it has fixed the problem, Central locking now works perfectly.

Mike

Worst luck ever.

Looks like the replacement ECU has now suffered from the cold weather. Central Locking is not working, but central unlocking is, the reverse of the old box - how easy is it to make one working unit out of the two I have :banghead:

Mike

Been doing some research on this..

The 1996 and earlier version is the blue one, it has been discontinued..

The pic is from a Yahoo Auction advert for a 1994 RZ..

The 1997 and later is the red one, confirmed by the Yahoo Ad for the following unit..

I checked Toyodiy and it confirms my findings with the part numbers..

So it seems the one to get is the red one..

ah great that's worth noting - however both my failures have been "red tops", and my car is a 1996 pre-facelift so assumed the red was the older model. It's also interesting that the red part number is lower than the blue one. :confused:

thanks for sharing. :thumbs:

Mike

Thats strange...

I am going to buy one of the red tops and try it out..

Will let you know how I go..

My car is a J-Spec 1995 RZ. It had a red door control module fitted. I replaced mine with a blue one from a facelift car.

I have also taken a red one out of a 1994 UK spec.

Thus I always assumed it was the other way round!

Now I am confused...

I think I will have to check what is in my car first before buying one..

Does it matter if the car is an RZ or SZ, I would think not?

• 9 months later...

Restarting the thread :p

But this is a good find saves me starting a thread

But this has very recently happened with my facelift '97 j spec TT

And it's all started since the the cold and frost came, couldn't understand why it unlocks fine but the fob doesn't work to lock or key either, and its tempremental it works then it doesnt. so il give driving on full blast a shot if not il have a look up at these little boxes

Cheers guys :)

Yes these issues crop up every year and the control module is often the culprit.

I think they suffer from dry solder. I might see if Si can inspect a duff unit to see if there is anything obvious that can be repaired. Seems to be a common fault and at the rate of failures seen over recent years, spare control modules may be like finding rocking horse poo!!

- - - Updated - - -

Yes these issues crop up every year and the control module is often the culprit.

I think they suffer from dry solder. I might see if Si can inspect a duff unit to see if there is anything obvious that can be repaired. Seems to be a common fault and at the rate of failures seen over recent years, spare control modules may be like finding rocking horse poo!!

Guest columbo
Restarting the thread :p

But this is a good find saves me starting a thread

But this has very recently happened with my facelift '97 j spec TT

And it's all started since the the cold and frost came, couldn't understand why it unlocks fine but the fob doesn't work to lock or key either, and its tempremental it works then it doesnt. so il give driving on full blast a shot if not il have a look up at these little boxes

Cheers guys :)

same problem happened last week on my '97 RZ tt... let me know how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...

POW! And another one bites the dust!

Looks like I'm in the same boat :( had to climb through the boot to unlock the car this morning!

The alarm arms and disarms with the fob, but the car won't lock or unlock :banghead:

After reading this, guessing its the control box.

Anyone tell me how much these cost?

My advice is don't try Toyota, unless you fancy a laugh !! Seriously ... very expensive.

I think I paid around £25 for each of my replacements 2nd hand, but be advised that they may well suffer the same fault sooner or later. You should still be able to get into the car with the key though.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
Guest columbo

i got a red one from keron just before christmas...fitting it today and i will let you all know how i get on.

btw , yeah it was £38 from keron and he had it over to me in Ireland in a day or 2, ( thanks mate )

I have spent the last weekend looking over my mates central locking, he can un-lock by the alarm fob, but only lock if he pushes the catch next to the handle on the drivers door then climbs out through the passenger door and locks it on that door with the key. The button to lock both doors on the drivers door doesnt work either, when he tried to lock with the fob, key in drivers door (which has never worked for some reason) or button on the inside, he doesnt get a clump noise to suggest the system is even trying to lock.

We considered the control unit, so I put mine (pre-facelift red unit) in from my car which works, it didn't work in his, so we took the drivers door card off and had a look, all looks ok, a little damp so WD40'd it quite thoroughly, still no joy. Any ideas folks, he is loosing the love and I am out of ideas.