The mkiv Supra Owners Club

To boost or not to boost?

Supra Kong

Ok, so what model would you recommend now? I like the idea of a digital booster better though as i can play with it whilst in the car! :eyebrows:

Good threads by the way!

Cheers chaps!

My thoughts on the subject HERE. The best EBC's available are the HKS EVC VI and the Blitz SBC i-color, not cheap but they make a significant difference to how quickly the turbos spool up and allow you to make peak boost through all gears.

Removing exhaust restriction to raise boost to the desired level is far less stressful on the turbos and head chamber heat generation than working the turbos harder to make more boost into an excessive restriction with a boost controller. Do you really want to push the boundaries to the limit on an old engine? Just quietly reflect how a £4K bill will go down if you blow the turbos. New ones are well over £1100 plus VAT each, then a full gasket set, oils and labour..... Rebuilt turbos are risky, and you'll probably find the number one turbo already cracked around the wastegate port, making it a very poor candidate to base a rebuild on, new is DEFINITELY the only safe way to go these days.

Removing exhaust restriction to raise boost to the desired level is far less stressful on the turbos and head chamber heat generation than working the turbos harder to make more boost into an excessive restriction with a boost controller. Do you really want to push the boundaries to the limit on an old engine? Just quietly reflect how a £4K bill will go down if you blow the turbos. New ones are well over £1100 plus VAT each, then a full gasket set, oils and labour..... Rebuilt turbos are risky, and you'll probably find the number one turbo already cracked around the wastegate port, making it a very poor candidate to base a rebuild on, new is DEFINITELY the only safe way to go these days.

Good advice, had 2 sets of stock turbos let go, not a cheap fix :)

Just want to ask a Q, wheres is the most accurate place to measure Boost pressure?

I run my AVCR Boost controller and Defi off the same Vacuum pipe but get differenct readings; I go with the Defi becasue the AVCR just read 0.3 bar at 1.2 on the Defi! Is it common for the sensor's in boost controllers to go? The unit is relatively new and definetly no boost leaks so I presume it is the sensor, I think the cold winter last year killed it.

So is it easy to adjust the restrictor ring to say 1.2 bar? What needs to be done?

The hole in the restrictor ring restricts the exhaust gas flow which in turn restricts the peak boost that the turbos produce, increase the diameter of the hole in the restrictor ring, the restriction will be reduced and the peak boost will rise.

What peak boost is the car making in 4th or 5th gear at the moment?

The hole in the restrictor ring restricts the exhaust gas flow which in turn restricts the peak boost that the turbos produce, increase the diameter of the hole in the restrictor ring, the restriction will be reduced and the peak boost will rise.

What peak boost is the car making in 4th or 5th gear at the moment?

Well, am still waiting for the car, arrives january... but i am told its running at 1.1, i guess i'll have to see when i got it...