The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance tips for a 20/21 year old

Guest LaurenceGough

Guest LaurenceGough

Hi guys,

Still everyday I want to own a Supra! I am after a turbo model, stock TT is just fine with me.

I am just after tips, I am looking to purchase one on my 21st or just around (4th July).

I passed my test June 2010, but was driving quite a few months before then on my provisional (I don't think this helps towards insurance).

I currently hold 1 years NCB and my current insurance ends on March 2012 so I should have 2 years NCB.

I am just after some tips to keep the costs down. I hear UK spec is important for keeping insurance costs down. What about tax etc..

I live in Reading (not in the town centre) and have my car garaged every night.

Cheers,

Laurence

These are things that can lower your insurance. Most come with a sting in the tail (i.e. they will restrict how you can use the car, or sting you if you do need to make a claim).

• Increase your optional excess
  • Limit your mileage as much as possible (3000-4000ish?)
  • Some policies limit your insurance to not be valid for night driving with a corresponding drop in the premium.
  • Don't insure it for commuting
  • Add your mum to the policy as a named driver (I don't know if this old chestnut still works, but it might be worth a go).
  • Try a good insurance broker.

There have been one or two cheap-ish (

above all else if you do manage to insure it make sure its done legally.

So dont insure it for non commuting use, and then drive to work in it, equally dont insure the car in your parents names and with you as a named driver, then you drive it all the time, you can still do it this way iirc however you need to notify that you are the main driver on the policy.

However you do it it wont be cheap, at 20 I was driving an MR2 Turbo, but the insureance was over half the value of the car, was just touching on £2k a year FC. looking back now it seems insane, however was worth it at the time. :)

Have you checked to see the differences in insuring an NA supra? I know it might not be what you want, but its a start, build up more NCBs then come back in a few years with a TT :)

Edited by TubbyTwo (see edit history)

Dont quote me on it but im sure Na are normally more to insure as they are imports against a uk TT

Your correct but it cheaper for me to insure a jspec tt over a NA (NA manual is £107 more auto is £123 more but a jspec tt 6spd is £56 cheaper :S) but the uk spec is cheapest of all to insure Just shop around, most companys will just laugh at you for wanting to insure a supra, i get rather anoyed when they do this to me