The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Insurance time again

fastcar

so just got my insurance renewl from sky insurance and they have quoted me £727 fully comp on a BPU Supra with 3 points on my lincense for speeding. wich in all fairness when i told them they said it wouldnt affect my quote.

Have got on to Adrian flux and they have quoted me the same price.

Been on to a few other insureance companies but as soon as your mention mods they start stuttering and go in to panic!

Does any one on here have any numbers for good insurance companies that are good with mods and imports just trying to get the cheapist quote i can find.

Thanks in advance:)

Does any one on here have any numbers for good insurance companies that are good with mods and imports just trying to get the cheapist quote i can find.

Thanks in advance:)

1. How old are you?

2. Do you use the car for commuting?

3. Do you mind a limited mileage policy?

If answer 1. > 25 go looking for a classic car insurance policy. Just search Classic Car policy on here and you'll find a few threads about it.

If not, have you tried A-Plan? Specifically the Thatcham branch

1. How old are you?

2. Do you use the car for commuting?

3. Do you mind a limited mileage policy?

If answer 1. > 25 go looking for a classic car insurance policy. Just search Classic Car policy on here and you'll find a few threads about it.

If not, have you tried A-Plan? Specifically the Thatcham branch

HI thanks

im 31 dont mind the limited mileage as i only use the car on the weekends.

will have a look thanks for the info

i would go on somewhere like gocompare and put in all the correct details for you and your car except put it as unmodified, you will then get lots of quotes and so a good baseline indication and something to try and get to within a couple of hundred of.......

sounds like a plan:)

have 3 cars in house hold including mine.

Just the normal mods for bpu with alloy wheels and lowering springs apr carbon spoiler and carbon bootlid

Lynbrook might be able to do something for you.

I told them about my RSR exhaust and after market alloys and they accepted that and gave me a quote of £303.00.

Recently renewed mine. Stock TT facelift with non standard wheels-

Age 43

Commuting and pleasure

over 10 years NCB

No points (lucky there I guess!)

Parked in a Garage overnight and in a secure car park (Military) by day.

First quote from Sky 650 ish. I shopped around and then went back to Sky with details of cheaper quote and Sky dropped to 400ish (Guaranteed price).

The reason I say "ish" is because i'm working away from home and can't remember the actual prices:blink:

I would say shop around and then give sky a chance with the evidence you have and they will come back with of a cheaper quote from their underwriters.:D

Recently renewed mine. Stock TT facelift with non standard wheels-

Age 43

Commuting and pleasure

over 10 years NCB

No points (lucky there I guess!)

Parked in a Garage overnight and in a secure car park (Military) by day.

First quote from Sky 650 ish. I shopped around and then went back to Sky with details of cheaper quote and Sky dropped to 400ish (Guaranteed price).

The reason I say "ish" is because i'm working away from home and can't remember the actual prices:blink:

I would say shop around and then give sky a chance with the evidence you have and they will come back with of a cheaper quote from their underwriters.:D

totally disagree here bud, that means your doing all the donkey work, then going back to them and saying look i've found it cheaper, can you match it? Oh wait Yes we can match it.

Hang on here

Why didnt you give me that price in the first Place......

So with that in mind, I'M OUT!!!!!!!

totally disagree here bud, that means your doing all the donkey work, then going back to them and saying look i've found it cheaper, can you match it? Oh wait Yes we can match it.

Hang on here

Totally agree with the above.

Try LWIB :thumbs: their first quote for me was their best quote and beat everyone else by miles

http://www.lwib.co.uk

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Insurance is genenrally very specific to an individual's circumstances, but these two companies seem to be competitive across the board:

1) Lynbrooks if you're happy with a classic car policy

2) LWIB if you want a normal, non-classic policy.

Job done.

Hang on here

Also agree. On principle, I don't change insurers if someone promises to beat the incumbent (and does so) by a small amount. They've got to be meaningfully competitive in order for it to be worth my while switching (checking they've got all my details correct, sending off proof of a Cat 1 alarm, blah blah).

I remember having a quote from Barclays once that promised to beat my renewal quote. They did beat it.... by £1. Come on! I didn't take it out, but what would happen if I did? Would my quote stay at the low level? I think not!

Another thing I never do is tell insurance companies who my most competitive quote has been from. Why do they need to know that? Is it so they can undercut that specific insurer out of the market, leaving them free to ratchet up their prices when the competitior is out of business? Maybe.

Thanks for the replus peeps. Have just tryed lynbrook and livingstone. One said they won't insure me because of mods and the other said no because it is my main car even though i don't use it for work just on weekends. Did get a quote from A-plan though for £679. Little cheaper might go back to sky and see if they can beat it and play the two off against each other.

Hmm I am probably a good comparrison to you, I am also 31, I also have 3 points and live fairly close by in Bristol. I pay £920 through Sky, seems quite a lot but I have been lazy and let it auto renew.

to be honest i have been phoneing around for the last 2 days and the best i have got so far is sky!!