The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Daywalker2 UNDEAD

dude

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started trying to sort the rear spoiler, these cars need something to keep them stable and exert some downforce but without slowing them down too much, even a stock rear spoiler would prob cost around 10 mph so we use Pro Mod style rear wings, i was going to go with a style like Stephanes car from supraforums until we looked at the design and decided it will actually work opposite to whats intended, the stock flip of the tailgate will swirl the air over the spoiler in a vortex this will try and lift the rear of the car !!!!I ve pm'd Stephane about this and he is waiting to see my design

Dude, you need to sack your painter! The door is a different colour to the rest of the car!! :D - Gonna be interesting this one!

This is a tricky area however

It may pay to add vortex generators across the roof and across the rear spoiler , the spoiler ends ( wing fences) to prevent air slipping off the end need shaping into curves and blending into the spoiler at the corners.

The addition of a true wing on top in clean air would aid downforce but at the cost of drag

my 2p worth

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate/about_us/technology/review/e/pdf/2004/16E_03.pdf

This is a tricky area however

It may pay to add vortex generators across the roof and across the rear spoiler , the spoiler ends ( wing fences) to prevent air slipping off the end need shaping into curves and blending into the spoiler at the corners.

The addition of a true wing on top in clean air would aid downforce but at the cost of drag

my 2p worth

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/corporate/about_us/technology/review/e/pdf/2004/16E_03.pdf

that's a helpful article, i have seen those stick on fins before like the evo has, they are proven to help. not sure if the supra would benefit as they are pretty slippery on the roof line anyway. My new build (same as leon's JPS proven 7.26 191mph supra) has a rear diffuser that channels air centrally and downwards to reduce the drag, dude what's yours like underneath at the rear? my plans are to suck it and see re bootlid wings. I hear you can buy special dye that you paint on the car and do a run..it leaves streaks that highlight the vortexes, high and low pressures. Toyota would have done lots of wind tunnel testing and in stock UK TT guise these cars where like what 170mph capable with a run up. also sure the boot spoiler was only an optional extra? In SE the favoured spiler is the raised flat with side panels, with a small vertical lip on he trailing edge, Brian payne's 7 sec street mustang had a boot extension webster's fabricated spoiler added part way through the season, he has suspension logging and saw massive gains in top end stabitly with no top end speed losses. it doesn't look right but worked well for him.

that's a helpful article, i have seen those stick on fins before like the evo has, they are proven to help. not sure if the supra would benefit as they are pretty slippery on the roof line anyway. My new build (same as leon's JPS proven 7.26 191mph supra) has a rear diffuser that channels air centrally and downwards to reduce the drag, dude what's yours like underneath at the rear? my plans are to suck it and see re bootlid wings. I hear you can buy special dye that you paint on the car and do a run..it leaves streaks that highlight the vortexes, high and low pressures. Toyota would have done lots of wind tunnel testing and in stock UK TT guise these cars where like what 170mph capable with a run up. also sure the boot spoiler was only an optional extra? In SE the favoured spiler is the raised flat with side panels, with a small vertical lip on he trailing edge, Brian payne's 7 sec street mustang had a boot extension webster's fabricated spoiler added part way through the season, he has suspension logging and saw massive gains in top end stabitly with no top end speed losses. it doesn't look right but worked well for him.

Everyone I have spoken to has said I cannot run the car without a rear wing !!!! Drag spoilers are slightly different in that you only want to stabilise the car and not take too much speed off by ramming it onto the track with a big wing.

Im pretty sure our design is spot on, have a look at these.

http://www.edquay.com/spoilers/gallery/index.html

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...