The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How can I mod a n/a Supra?

SUPRAVIRGIN

I am hoping so mate as can get engine 1500, pistons 1000, conrods 1000, inlet mainfold setup around 700, single turbo conversion kit is 1500. it will take time i know as 1st step in get tt and do rebuild then get someone to drop it in for me and set it up, only think havent looked at yet is gearbox cost, how much do you reckon it will cost then? as am after as much advice as possible before start build next year

There's loads of threads on cost. Most people think at least £10k to do a proper job, maybe even double that. You'll have to think about fueling as well as a lot of other things. Plus you'll need a new ECU (standalone or piggyback) and someone to map it for you.

I gave up after "both decats removed". So the cats have been put back, then. ;)

Or maybe no cats or decats, just the catback exhaust hanging off the underside of the car :D

But yeah, in all seriousness, there's loads more to think about and need than what you listed.

There's loads of threads on cost. Most people think at least £10k to do a proper job, maybe even double that. You'll have to think about fueling as well as a lot of other things. Plus you'll need a new ECU (standalone or piggyback) and someone to map it for you.

Oh yea know all that its not going to be done in 1 hit for sure but thats the plan, have bin told that someone on here will fit tt lump for me for 3k so may do that option who knows, also their is a few smashed up tt cars that can get cheap and just swap parts over.

Or maybe no cats or decats, just the catback exhaust hanging off the underside of the car :D

But yeah, in all seriousness, there's loads more to think about and need than what you listed.

I know their is alot to think about but i intend to go for the single build, and any advice is more than welcome(not buy tt car,as would want to take engine out and rebuild that)

and the cats will have to go back on everything takes time

the bhp figure am after is 450 not 600

Edited by Suprakeith (see edit history)

Hi, any and everyone, I am about to go and collect my first ever MK4 Supra ( yipee!)....... Its a 1993 n/a auto, in black........ Anyway, I want to know what can be done to get more power............ Before any one says 'go and buy a twin turbo', i actually prefer a n/a engine................. but having said that, i have never driven a tt supra, so perhaps there isnt much lag?...................... but if there is, then i reckon my idea of a more powerful n/a engine would make for , what i consider to be, a more satisfying overall driving experience, better balanced throttle response etc.

so does anyone know what the max power or torque is that can be extracted from a n/a engine?......i was thinking that 280-300bhp would be more than enough......but how to get there?....ported head and inlet manifold?..higher compression ratio?....highlift cams?.....exhaust?...air intake?...re-map?

any ideas ???

Supravirgin ( about to break his cherry!!!)

i agree with you mate i do prefer the drive from a na engine however to get 300/400hp you might want to speak to lee p about a 3.4 stroker kit be nice to see someone do a project pushing a na to the limits

I know their is alot to think about but i intend to go for the single build, and any advice is more than welcome(not buy tt car,as would want to take engine out and rebuild that)

and the cats will have to go back on everything takes time

the bhp figure am after is 450 not 600

You don't need a big single to get 450 BPU++ on TT should get you almost there...

I am hoping so mate as can get engine 1500, pistons 1000, conrods 1000, inlet mainfold setup around 700, single turbo conversion kit is 1500. it will take time i know as 1st step in get tt and do rebuild then get someone to drop it in for me and set it up, only think havent looked at yet is gearbox cost, how much do you reckon it will cost then? as am after as much advice as possible before start build next year

Pistons are £600, rods are between £500-750 but you are prob better staying stock with decent bolts and resizing, you don't need a manifold for the HP you are thinking so stay stock, you will need fuel pumps, injectors , regulator, FMIC, ecu and mapping as well as a diff transmission and diff and you will need to put the other diff mount in the rear cradle for the TT diff, don't forget bearings and rebore and crank grind/polish, head set etc etc.

Pistons are £600, rods are between £500-750 but you are prob better staying stock with decent bolts and resizing, you don't need a manifold for the HP you are thinking so stay stock, you will need fuel pumps, injectors , regulator, FMIC, ecu and mapping as well as a diff transmission and diff and you will need to put the other diff mount in the rear cradle for the TT diff, don't forget bearings and rebore and crank grind/polish, head set etc etc.

Thanx for that and will prob go for new pistons and rods just incase do decide 1day want more hp dont want to have to take engine out again,lol, i know will need 6speed box and tt rear diff,will def be getting new bearing and crack regrind/polish,want to have relaible good power so can enjoy the car

I dont want a big single just prefer a single thats all and iam sure can get 450 from single turbo,if not will stick with the twin set up

What he's trying to say is that you don't need to go single turbo to get the 400-450bhp mark. You can get that power with basic performance upgrades.

What he's trying to say is that you don't need to go single turbo to get the 400-450bhp mark. You can get that power with basic performance upgrades.

Oh year i know that can get 450 easy from tt set up

have to say its really nice as am getting some good advice from the club

Oh year i know that can get 450 easy from tt set up

have to say its really nice as am getting some good advice from the club

You said 600 bhp for 6k on the last page? Now you want 450bhp with a small single? Mate I dont think you know what you want? :D

A w58 will wet its pants at that power.

A turbo kit IS 1500GBP, but that comes WITHOUT intercooler, intercooler piping, ECU (££££), air filter, headgasket. Its a turbo `kit` but isnt actually complete. Anything over 400 your need bigger injectors. Plus money to fit everything, or at least tuning without transmission upgrades.

Thanx for that and will prob go for new pistons and rods just incase do decide 1day want more hp dont want to have to take engine out again,lol, i know will need 6speed box and tt rear diff,will def be getting new bearing and crack regrind/polish,want to have relaible good power so can enjoy the car

Pistons and rods? Bailey has nearly 600bhp and I don't think he has bought either? I could be wrong. If you only want 450bhp you won't need either of those?

Unless you have super low miles, TT swap out and then BPU up to 400bhp'ish without a 6speed your limited. I'm going NA-T... but that's because Im stupid and like wasting money lol! Honestly my shed is STACKED with stuff that I've not even fitted yet. Still wonder if it will even be worth it...

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

I know what i want and its 450 not 600 dont know why put 600 in other page,and the turbo kit comes with front mounted intercooler,manifold ,downpipe ,air filter and pipe workso that should be fine,and if rods and pitons arent needed will still replace bearings and fit ARP bolts, but would prefer to fit new pistons and rods they arent to expensive and i knw the v160 box will be needed for sure as your right the w58 will just dry and run away crying while iam sat at side of road looking like plonker with my gearbox all over the road:d

I know what i want and its 450 not 600 dont know why put 600 in other page,and the turbo kit comes with front mounted intercooler,manifold ,downpipe ,air filter and pipe workso that should be fine,and if rods and pitons arent needed will still replace bearings and fit ARP bolts, but would prefer to fit new pistons and rods they arent to expensive and i knw the v160 box will be needed for sure as your right the w58 will just dry and run away crying while iam sat at side of road looking like plonker with my gearbox all over the road:d

I don't know if you've been linked to this already, but this is all you will need: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?94705-BPU-%28Basic-Performance-Upgrade%29

The pistons would be worthwhile, I meant you dont need aftermarket rods, unless you are going crower or Carrillo or spool stock is better, aftermarket pistons as well as being forged are a lot lighter so there is less strain on the bottom end, dont forget new oil pump and water pump.

The conrods am looking at the minute are the crower ones,H beam design and will for sure replace oil and water pump aswell, want get the block will do full rebuild as prefer to do something once and right so havent got to go back and re do anything and while have the engine sat in garage can take time and make sure get everything right before put new lump in my supra

Hi all....I cant wait for tomorow....my Supra is coming home!!!.....I will take some pics for all to see...

Thanks all for the advice.....I plan to keep the car basically standard ( perhaps a performance air filter/quality plugs and leads etc).(i believe it has a sports exhaust of some sort already).... .give it a good service.....maybe upgrade brake pads..and I think I want to strip it out somewhat, going for the 'less is more' approach!...better power/weight ratio....

.quick question: if i want to replace the front seats with light weight race/bucket seats, what should I go for?....nothing to expensive....what are comfortable and offer a reasonable weight saving?.....and what is the best engine oil to use?...

Supravirgin (but only just!!!)