The mkiv Supra Owners Club

THOR rip off for NOS

Guest Rays the roof

Well, this is hijacking Ray's thread a little and I apologise for that. But to respond to your comments: with regard to 'jumping to conclusions', you'll note that I was trying to explain what Pete/Darren said (rightly or wrongly), rather than express my own view. So your opening irony is misplaced.

As a manager for the largest retailer in the UK, presumably you would be careful about what sort of forum (in the broadest sense) you employed to respond to complaints. I've seen many threads on here involving traders and punters and I'm not sure it's always in the trader's interests to respond. There are often too many baying for blood in the background and things quickly descend into farce. Again, note that this doesn't refer specifically to this thread in general or to you personally.

Regards

Cliff

I agree with you Cliff the only reason I posted was because I did post in the first place what I felt the impacts could be on not replying.

I just feel it would be worth them posting to say to such an effect that they don't want to get into a debate on the forum however they would speak to Ray to sort out what they could.

Because in my opinion no input looks like no care for your current of future customers.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Rays the roof

I agree with most of the posts so far here and 1 bad story does not make them the worst trader around. However Thor will not contact me to discuss, answer messages left or answer to this thread. Other traders at least offer a defence and their side of the story. Thor are proving their guilt by remaining silent. I have done the job myself now and life is too short to hold a grudge. However I am not a 'sit and eat the over cooked steak' kind of guy, that all too many Brits are. :nyah:

Im wondering!!

.....Why my other nephews solenoids are on his head!! he has run 12.28 with a rover v8.

Why do you put heater blankets on nos bottles?To heat the nos creating higher pressure.....

Why don't you ask this question on the NOSWizard forum, and they'll tell you why. The difference is fundamental mate.

Hell, even a teenager (well, -ish) like myself knows why and I don't even like the stuff.

On the other hand, Thor have seemed quite knowledgeable to me over the phone, so maybe there is a valid reason as to why they chose those locations, who knows...

I have done the job myself now and life is too short to hold a grudge. However I am not a 'sit and eat the over cooked steak' kind of guy, that all too many Brits are. :nyah:

Can we have pics of the new location? and have you now noticed a change in performance?

Dave :devil:

Guest Usmann A

Oh shut it you bunch of young moany "ohh laverly mate, 600 brake son!" type of tossers ..............................

:D :D

hi

Tanhauser hit it on the nose about age.

I just found out that the rover v8 in question that i mentioned was fitted with nos solonoids on the inlet from real steel, one of the biggest drag race engine building companys in the uk.

Does this not prove that people do put them on inlets without any problems.

why should thor air his dirty laudry on the net,i would not.

We dont know the whole story ,just what the rays post says.

im just not going to jump in ,im going to take thor how i find him,helpful and very good value for money.

D.

MMM seems a lot of money to flog out for that fit. The kit doesn't look all that great. I got a Zex kit for £500 odd quid and fitted it myself in about 2-3 hours at home on my drive. It was braided hose connections and I put the solenoid jobber in the area on the engine/cabin bulkhead drivers side. For that sort of cash I'd have expected a progressive controller as well. Without wanting to sound condescending Ray did you do much research into costings or are there other bits that were done at Thor's that don't seem apparent from your post?

Dear Mr. Tannhauser,

Presumably you are above the average age of members of this site. (Actual)

Many thanks for your understanding of the underlying theme to my guest post.

Ali , behave otherwise I will have words with your Father!

My last words before Bro. pays and puts me on the site officially.

I have had dealings with many many dealers and "tuners" and "experts" over the years . In fact since the time that San Francisco had a thriving flower market.

The best way round the system is to try and learn as much as possible about the vehicle you are trying to get tuned. My Brother has found the internet invaluable for this.

Armed with a little knowledge one is then able to question the reason why those you are paying to do a job do it the way they do.

As a last aside. We did a fair bit of testing on relative air tempratures within our engine bay . The results were fascinating.

Pump Gas Pete.

Guest T.F.S.
Im wondering!!

Why my friends solenoids are on his head!! He has run 10.02 with his camero.

Why my nephews solenoids are on his head!! he has run 13.6 with a stock civic type r.

Why my other nephews solenoids are on his head!! he has run 12.28 with a rover v8.

Why do you put heater blankets on nos bottles?To heat the nos creating higher pressure.

I dont know if this makes a difference,but im still going to give my car to thor in two weeks time .

People are very quick to jump on the band wagon,which i find sad.

D.

Ps now you can jump on me!!give you something to do ehh.

There probably is a best way but lots of people fit them on heads.

well how can i put this........

nitrous is injected as a liquid, in liquid form it is -128 degrees

this is why the turbo spools up so much quicker on gas...its job is made easy because the inlet charge is so cold it is far denser and easier to compress!

when you pre-heat the solonoids the liquid turns to gas, this is ambient temp and will just give you a rich mixture....the mixture can never be the same as the temp of the solonoid will differ dependant on engine temp~solonoid temp

think about this for a second........how can the mixture be the same if on your first run the solonoid temp is 60+degrees and on your second run the solonoid temp is -60 degrees???

i could do 30mins work on any persons system on this site and when they left my premises their car would be faster and cleaner running on the same size jets just by changing injector point/bottle position and most importantly the -solonoid position, ill open an offer to anyone here for 30mins FREE re-install work to anyone who cares to have their system working correctly just to prove that point

now for the bottle heating issue..

we now understand that nitrous is injected as a liquid rather than a gas right?, we need to make the liquid as dense as possible so that would mean making the nitrous bottle COLDER and then boosting pressure with nitrogen, this is how they set up pro mod cars ;)

hot bottles do increase pressure but we know pressure and flow are two diffrent things eh ;)

im not saying bottle heaters are useless im just using this to highlight my previous statment, ill also add then in a pressureised enviroment nitrous cannot remain as a liquid over 1069psi so if you have a bottle heater make sure you say well under this pressure

my last point is that im not a member of this site so my opinions and advice are (what i consider) impartial, it has noting to do with the general attatude of this site as this is only my third post lol

regards, brian

Guest Rays the roof

Ok to all you, "well I've seen it fitted in hot areas" and there's no problem, read the following which I have copied off 'Wizard of Nos' technical section on their website:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Keeping Nitrous Cool

VERY IMPORTANT!!! I can't stress enough on how important it is to keep the nitrous in liquid form as long as possible. This denser form is where maximum power comes from.

Tips:

1) Keep supply line from bottle/bottles to nitrous solenoid as short as possible. Excess length just promotes vaporization.

2) Route the nitrous supply line along the coolest possible path. Under car exhaust heat can start premature vaporization even when not next to the exhaust. A benefit of nylon routed inside if applicable.

3) Mount the solenoids in the coolest spot under the hood, while trying to maintain shortest output line length to injector/injectors. The back of the motor/firewall is the worst place to mount as all the engine heat is blown there when driving.

4) Protect lines from heat. See product section for recommended heat wrap.

Note: These are just tips. Sometimes line routing and solenoid mounting have to be done in a less than ideal location for a given application. Take some extra time to find the best possible placement for nitrous parts as you will only benefit.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So unprotected lines sat on TOP of my cylinder head is the best location.

!!!RIGHT!!!!

this is why the turbo spools up so much quicker on gas...its job is made easy because the inlet charge is so cold it is far denser and easier to compress

Not sure I'd aggree with that.

Not that it would make a rats arse of difference on Rays NA :p :lol:

.. Not sure I'd aggree with that.

I think I know what you mean Charlie, the main reason spoolup is quicker with nitrous is not that.

But lower intake temps do make a measureable difference in spoolup, as I'm currently finding out.

These hot days are perfect for such experiments. With ambient temps 30C or higher the intake temps are always 30C+

Dropping them by 15-20C makes for a very interesting pattern in boost buildup.

Guest T.F.S.

this is why the turbo spools up so much quicker on gas...its job is made easy because the inlet charge is so cold it is far denser and easier to compress

Not sure I'd aggree with that.

ok well im all ears!....remember we are dropping inlet temps 70 degrees or so

it is also "in theory" possible to advance the timing on a turbo car due to the massive drop in inlet temps when on nitrous (up to a point)