The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Chrome Ring Set Fitted at last, Pics included

DodgyRog

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought a complete set a few months ago, still sat in the wrappers though. Will get around to fitting them next week, thanks for the tips!

"We found the only way to get them to fit (especially the Dial rings) was to remove the panels from the dash, this made life much easier, the clock needs to be removed to fit the clock ring.

When fitting the rings, some of them need to be slightly curved, due to the dash being slightly curved, this isn't a problem, but takes time and patience."

i bought the same 3-ring dash kit from Tuning Shop UK last year and fitted all 3 with the panel removed for easier installation. however, when i woke up the next day (left the car parked under the hot sun), only the middle piece stay in place and the other 2 pieces were resting on the carpet - yupp, it fell off!

question:

how you managed to secure them nicely, what kinda special technique or tool required for this job? thanks.

Edited by fastnfurious (see edit history)

"We found the only way to get them to fit (especially the Dial rings) was to remove the panels from the dash, this made life much easier, the clock needs to be removed to fit the clock ring.

When fitting the rings, some of them need to be slightly curved, due to the dash being slightly curved, this isn't a problem, but takes time and patience."

i bought the same 3-ring dash kit from Tuning Shop UK last year and fitted all 3 with the panel removed for easier installation. however, when i woke up the next day (left the car parked under the hot sun), only the middle piece stay in place and the other 2 pieces were resting on the carpet - yupp, it fell off!

question:

how you managed to secure them nicely, what kinda special technique or tool required for this job? thanks.

You need to get a slight curve on them, try bending them slightly over your leg, use gloves, just do it a bit at a time and test fit, until they sit flush.

Once they are flush, do the the thing that is shown in the YouTube fitting instructions, this can also be done with the ring fitted to the panel, if you have removed the panel.

If the above still does not work, maybe try a couple of small tabs of decent glue

okie dok... got it... thanks mate and will give it a try soon... :)

Can I just say to everyone asking advice, I am no expert at this and can only give opinion from the fitting of mine and I am happy to do so, but it is just my thoughts/opinion

If anyone has any major problems, the best bet is to contact Greg from Ebay, he seems to be open to help anyone that buys his product and gets a problem

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

just tried fitting them again and still pop up, the left and right pieces just refused to sit nicely... sigh! seems not possible to bend this aluminium ring over my leg, worried it may crack/dent the chrome surface later if excessive pressure being applied.

anyway, i've dropped a mail to Greg of The Tuning Shop and hope he has a solution for this as using glue is the last option imho.

just tried fitting them again and still pop up, the left and right pieces just refused to sit nicely... sigh! seems not possible to bend this aluminium ring over my leg, worried it may crack/dent the chrome surface later if excessive pressure being applied.

anyway, i've dropped a mail to Greg of The Tuning Shop and hope he has a solution for this as using glue is the last option imho.

I had to put a curve on mine to get them to sit right, wait for Greg's reply, but I am guessing he will say to put a curve in it

thats the same guy i get mine from

Did you have any issues with fitting and if so, how did you solve them.

Looks like this thread could be useful to people fitting in the future for problem solving, so if anyone has had an issue and managed to sort it by bending or any other method please post your methods up

• 7 months later...

Just having a look around for a set of chrome rings, and happened across this thread.

I've asked the guy for some more information, as there seems loads that it's possible to buy, but is there a definite full set for the £69?

Once they are on, do they not come off, as I may want to get my dash resprayed before I commit to fitting them.

Was the removal of the old dial rings easy enough, or did they just break off?

Paul - Did you fit yours, and any photos?

They go on over the existing trim Andrew, so no removal of anything required. They're also easy to take off again if needed, gently with a flat head screwdriver or knife will do it. I have the same problem with my speedo ring, the shape of the dial isn't circular it's oval so the ring needs worked with to get it to fit and mine still pops off regularly, I'm holding off gluing it (which should sort the problem) until after I get the panels flocked. I had mine for a good while before I fitted them, I wasn't sure I was going to like them but they really do update the interior, it's a good mod for not a lot of $ bud.

edit, pics -

before

after

Edited by jim (see edit history)

I put mine on (from the same guy) and had the three main dials panel resting on my lap sobi could work the rings on and tease them into the same curved shape, if you don't they will retain some spring and always try and pop off, not so much the centre but the two either side have a bit if curve

Been a month and I've been over some bumpy tartly roads with no problems, they look great

Just having a look around for a set of chrome rings, and happened across this thread.

I've asked the guy for some more information, as there seems loads that it's possible to buy, but is there a definite full set for the £69?

Once they are on, do they not come off, as I may want to get my dash resprayed before I commit to fitting them.

Was the removal of the old dial rings easy enough, or did they just break off?

Paul - Did you fit yours, and any photos?

Yeah, I have fitted mine, will try and get some pics at the weekend. They are decent quality, as said they need a bit of tweeking to get them to sit perfect but I have to say they are better than most of the tat I've seen before.

I ended up giving mine a brushed inner edge finish and polished the front radius a bit more, makes them easier to keep clean and reduces any glare. A dob or two of evo-stik or similar will hold the clock rings in better and still allow removal later.

Good quality though.

Well, I've just ordered a full set of chrome rings from Greg on Ebay, and he was very helpful.

They cost £65.98, including postage, for a full Auto pre-facelift set. Bargain.

I cannot wait to get them on. Just push fit, so if I want to get the dash resprayed, I can then take them off and glue them on permanently once I've had that done. Excellent. :)

Sorry just seen this has been resurrected

I had to sand off the back of the clock one and glue it

Also the cigarette lighter one needs to be glued

The rest from memory do just push in, as said above, you will need to be patient with the Speedo cluster ones, easiest way is to remove the panel and then keep shaping the ring until it matches the curve you need.

I found doing it my leg the easiest way, but just do it a little at a time until it right, they are quite strong and plyable, but just take your time

Mine have never fallen out since fitting, except the cigarette one, which just needed a bit more glue

Good Luck and patience will hopefully mean they don't keep droping out