The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A warning to those who are catless

dude

IF my car was declared manufactured in 95/96 and was on an N plate but theoretically speaking was vin number 10000ish so possibly manufactured in 93 how would that stand on needing cats?

Thats then down to you to prove the manufacturing date and show evidence on how/why. Also, if you can prove you used a engine from a 1992 lexus/soarer for example, then you can get away with using 1992 emissions data..

I'm sure as long as the 2nd one has a shell on it then it'd be ok. You can't really see the 1st decat from a glance underneath.

Or just lower your car to the point that they can't see under it!

I shall just do the 2nd one then.if i lower it i'll never get over the speed bumps,seems all they want is more dosh because of all the cuts :(

Thats then down to you to prove the manufacturing date and show evidence on how/why. Also, if you can prove you used a engine from a 1992 lexus/soarer for example, then you can get away with using 1992 emissions data..

Cool thanks for the info, very......informative :)

We had a MOT leaflet through the other day about up-coming laws they are 'thinking' of introducing into the MOT.. It looks like they are trying to get them towards 2 years MOT's. One of them is having a CAT fitted! At the minute,the MOT book doesn't actually state there needs to be a CAT fitted, just that it needs to pass a BETS/CAT test (1993 on). They are also getting proper anal about silly things like being able to fail a car on things like dust covers split on ball joints, airbag lights go on and off, ALL dash lights work as they should, (main beam, airbag, TC/ESP etc) and now they are on about rear doors, all locks and hinges.

Either way, if all of that comes into play, alot more cars will be getting scrapped and the price of MOT's will shoot up due to the added time needed to check all the new items.

Dude, you should have asked him what was illegal about the exhaust.. Fair enough their may be a noise limit but where in the law book does it say you must have cats fitted. Even for MOT's we can take them off straight after. Can't see what VOSA can do on the side of the road that they can't do in a MOT test station. Surely they can't give you a telling off for a non fitted CAT if it ain't in their manual.

I know what you mean but I do know of one little chav that has had his car impounded for no CAT, I also know of several others inspected for CATS and all 'add ons' checked to see if the E marks etc were present, thay have done it on bikes for years, no stamp then your knicked.

The VOSA guy said it was too loud I asked what decibel reading it should be under, he admitted there was no decibel reading but it was 'unduly loud' in his opinion and he could if he wanted put a prohibition on it there and then, the cop chipped in that he thought it was ok. The VOSA guy had a light meter and also a sniffer for emissions so I thought best not to push my luck, you will never beat beaurocracy by meeting it head on, far better to confuse, I explained we had a DB9 at the workshop and how loud it was (lie) and that we tested the exhaust with our calibrated Decibel meter (lie) and that it was louder than this actual car (lie) this confused matters enough to just keep it to peeling the window film. I also know that the Ultimate Street cars had a few impounded on their cruise from the Pod a while ago and taken to Vosa stations.

IF my car was declared manufactured in 95/96 and was on an N plate but theoretically speaking was vin number 10000ish so possibly manufactured in 93 how would that stand on needing cats?

Oh and a sard sports cat would be ok?

As long as it has a CAT of any sort or what appears to be CAT it will be fine, I think you would be unlucky to fall foul in normal driving but any cruis or car show will be a very easy target and I can see massive clampdowns coming, they don't want our sort of car on the road any more.

It's really annoying reading comments like that. I know from their point of view it may be different but it just seems like they are wasting so much money doing pointless things like that and not out catching the real bad guys! How many millions did it cost to have all the fuzz equipped with tint meters, decibel meters etc!

It's really annoying reading comments like that. I know from their point of view it may be different but it just seems like they are wasting so much money doing pointless things like that and not out catching the real bad guys! How many millions did it cost to have all the fuzz equipped with tint meters, decibel meters etc!

Thats the way its all going, pretty soon we will be turned into Zombies !!!!!!! But not me, Hell no im busting out, laying down a rubber road straight to freedom, call me the Nightrider and remember me when you look into the night sky !!!!!!!

Thats the way its all going, pretty soon we will be turned into Zombies !!!!!!! But not me, Hell no im busting out, laying down a rubber road straight to freedom, call me the Nightrider and remember me when you look into the night sky !!!!!!!

:rlol:

So when is this supposed to be enforced properly?

I don't think it can ever be enforced properly in a day to day situation but think of the revenue if they sat outside the Pod or Jap Fest etc, no cat £150, illegel tints £150, illegal exhaust £150, illegal plates £150, illegall HID's £150, tow charge £300, daily storage £10, tow truck to pick car up etc etc

I don't think it can ever be enforced properly in a day to day situation but think of the revenue if they sat outside the Pod or Jap Fest etc, no cat £150, illegel tints £150, illegal exhaust £150, illegal plates £150, illegall HID's £150, tow charge £300, daily storage £10, tow truck to pick car up etc etc

When you put it like that, that becomes quite worrying!

So when is this supposed to be enforced properly?

Its been the same with bikes for a few years now, if you have illegal plates, zorst, visor etc don't go out on a Sunday, stay away from Boxhill etc and you prob won't get a problem, hell I rarely bother with a rear plate on my blade, just claim it fell off, ive put it on now cause im going to sell it (so I can buy a CAT !!!!!)

When you put it like that, that becomes quite worrying!

Europe does not help Graham, the German fuzz were confiscating cars that had bonnet pins that stick up!!!! Even if it was legal in the cars country of origin, in a few countries any mods are banned and rumour was a few years ago the Govt here was going to outlaw motorcycles, I believe one european country has already done just that.

Just a thought guys. Those silencer valves/butterflies that are designed to quieten your exhaust in resedential areas. With this shut and reducing noise won't the smaller hole reduce the emissions too odviously for a short period of time.

Just a thought guys. Those silencer valves/butterflies that are designed to quieten your exhaust in resedential areas. With this shut and reducing noise won't the smaller hole reduce the emissions too odviously for a short period of time.

nope, as the mix of pollutants (CO,HC & air/fuel that the check is for) is constant.

edit: the reading will be the same regardless of how much of the fume is flowing past the sensor. (as the mix has already been made)

Edited by vertex (see edit history)

Easy dude, you will be able to knock one up no problem, in fact Scott M may want one too, just copy a sports CAT, get a piece of 5" SS tube about 8-10" long and make 2 reducers to 4" (like a funnel), hey presto polish it and sports CAT fitted;)

I have a 4" too but it hit every small bump in the road now I can't put anything on it that will make it closer to the floor.

I'll try get the pipe ovaled then make something up.