The mkiv Supra Owners Club

how hard to drive in wet, ice, snow?

Guest farnell182

Up until last year I had no problems in the snow but in heavy snow, i'd forget it if there's the slightest incline about. Wide tyres and a front engined car on a slope in snow don't go well together if you have to stop. As Jay said, it's not so much what the back end does, it's actually moving it in the first place if the snow / ice is under you already.

Although mines missing two turbos, I had piss poor tyres on large wheels and I have to say, winter was not as difficult as I was expecting, although I kept off the snow and ice. Its just a case of driving properly 100% of the time rather than 75%.

Erm its nearly April, the temps are rising, the suns been out now for 4 days on the trot, not a sign of even a small frost and weve got a how to drive in snow thread :D

Wide tyred supras arent great in the snow, fit it with some skinny narrow wheels and it would be much better, if its your pride and joy buy a banger for the winter months.

My biggest concern is other drivers who cant drive in snow, some can't manage even in their 4x4's and im far more concerned about them crashing into me so my supra stays at home.

They are totally un-drivable, and anyone who gives an opinion is lying, as the only people to have tried it died. Don't even consider it, Toyota Supras originally had a dash sticker telling the new owner NOT to use it in rain or snow. Some sadists removed these stickers before selling the cars on, just for laughs :(

There are some totally *@#~$% ludicrous questions asked on this forum these days :)

If you have an auto then definitely a no go in snow. I cant speak for a manual as I haven't owned or driven one. The rear wheels just spin round even if trying to start off manually in second.

Just not enough weight in the back to allow the rears to grip.

People saying that they drive with no issues in snow must live and drive on perfectly flat roads and have only driven on fresh snow where some grip was gained.

On polished compacted snow and ice the Supra is useless. A slight incline will see your rear wheels spinning round and round and you going no where.

I have driven my Auto in the snow from the New forest to Basingstoke, didnt get stuck until i turned to go up a hill to my parents house.

In the wet as long as you have descent rubber then should not pose a problem for "normal" driving i.e not gunning it.

Ice... well if you hit a sheet of ice in any car you have trouble.

I have driven my Auto in the snow from the New forest to Basingstoke, didnt get stuck until i turned to go up a hill to my parents house.

In the wet as long as you have descent rubber then should not pose a problem for "normal" driving i.e not gunning it.

Ice... well if you hit a sheet of ice in any car you have trouble.

Wise words. In snowy conditions, roads right at the very beginning or end of a journey will test your mettle, the ones in between are usually OK. I live at the bottom of a very modest hill, with not much chance of a run-up: I can drive up it if there's fresh snow, but if it's been compacted and polished to an ice-rink by other cars, I can't.

Guest farnell182
Erm its nearly April, the temps are rising, the suns been out now for 4 days on the trot, not a sign of even a small frost and weve got a how to drive in snow thread :D

Wide tyred supras arent great in the snow, fit it with some skinny narrow wheels and it would be much better, if its your pride and joy buy a banger for the winter months.

My biggest concern is other drivers who cant drive in snow, some can't manage even in their 4x4's and im far more concerned about them crashing into me so my supra stays at home.

haha i know the suns here, but i plan to get mine all being well middle/end of summer, so nothing wrong with planning ahead ;)

may well be a few questions i ask that may seem stupid, but the only stupid person is the one that doesn't know the answer and doesn't ask ;)