The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help! My Supra sounds like a Tractor!!!

SamuraiFlash

im not sure how big it is thinking about it. If you have a ramp it might not be so bad. Is it the front or rear gasket that is blowing? You could possibly remove the heat shield, and just unbolt the manifold and slide the whoe TT assembly off far enough to put a new gasket on, but its still a fair amount of work. I wouldnt like to have to do it :(

im not sure how big it is thinking about it. If you have a ramp it might not be so bad. Is it the front or rear gasket that is blowing? You could possibly remove the heat shield, and just unbolt the manifold and slide the whoe TT assembly off far enough to put a new gasket on, but its still a fair amount of work. I wouldnt like to have to do it :(

Its the front gasket, one of the bolts were really loose and It just literally dropped into my hands when i noticed it. I have a decent set of tools (not as immense as your fathers collection), but I just don't have the courage to carry out a job like this even if its probably just unbolting a few things and then bolting them back on :(

Oh no sorry to hear about as this mate, how many miles have you done since the TT conversion. I would imagine not to many

Hi Paul, I have done about 350 max as I haven't really driven it at all over the winter period, just the odd day here and there when it was dry. The gasket was probably on it's way out.

Didn't think you'd of done much, just gathering info on the mileage thing;)

If I was nearer mate I'd more than gladly help, Hope you get it sorted asap bud, if not you'll have to squash in my boot for Japfest;):D

LOL...I'll get the old girl sorted sometime this week if all goes well, I can't be going to my first Jap fest even without my Supra. Thanks for the offer Paul :)

If a manifold bolt has just fallen out, it's probably been overtightened and stripped the thread in the aluminium cylinder head :( You'll need it helicoiling to replace the thread, and either you do it yourself in-situ (difficult) or you take the cylinder head off and send it away ot be done (difficult, expensive, and takes a long time)

I have got both the manifold gaskets on route to me so as soon as i get them (hopefully Thursday) i can meet up with you and check out the car for you if you want.

Lets hope it's not a stripped thread as that really should be helicoiled with the cylinder head off the engine.

I can possibly get this done for you if required. I'll have to make a few calls on that.

Out of interest are you sure its a manifold to cylinder head bolt that you found loose ? with all the pipework and heatshield in place im supprised you can get at them

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

I have got both the manifold gaskets on route to me so as soon as i get them (hopefully Thursday) i can meet up with you and check out the car for you if you want.

Lets hope it's not a stripped thread as that really should be helicoiled with the cylinder head off the engine.

I can possibly get this done for you if required. I'll have to make a few calls on that.

Out of interest are you sure its a manifold to cylinder head bolt that you found loose ? with all the pipework and heatshield in place im supprised you can get at them

That is fantastic Dunk, you are a legend. I'm terrible when it comes to all this mechanical stuff maybe i got it all wrong and it isn't a bolt off the manifold and maybe it was just off the heat shield or something.

If it was off the manifold and the stripped thread needs to be helicoiled with the head off then I may just get other bits like valve stem seal done at the same time.

Can you please have a word with your mate Simon and ask him how much he will charge to get all this done at his place?

Thanks Dunk.

I think the first thing to do is find out whats wrong with it, i think it would pay for me to come and have a look and take it from there.

When are you free during the daytime and i'll come over ?

I am free tomorrow dunk, will you be kind enough to come round about 12? I maybe able to meet up earlier if I get the shopping for the Restaurant done earlier.

I am free tomorrow dunk, will you be kind enough to come round about 12? I maybe able to meet up earlier if I get the shopping for the Restaurant done earlier.

Pm me your address and postcode and i'll see you at 12

Thanks to Dunk we have found out exactly what was wrong with my Supra, it wasn't as serious as we initially thought it was. The noise was coming from a hole in the exhaust manifold, anyone want to guess what the issue was here? I'll give you a clue, we found a bolt where the hole was.

Just want to say a big THANK YOU to Dunk for coming over to my place, organising one of his local garages to sort the car out for an excellent price. He went out his way to help me out....Thanks Dunk :)

Glad to be able to help Kamal and even better that its fixed inside 24 hrs and for sensible ££'s.

I'll definetly be coming to your place for a curry one night so perhaps we should get a few

members off here and mkiv group together for a meet

I look forward to having a drive in it soon :)

Glad to be able to help Kamal and even better that its fixed inside 24 hrs and for sensible ££'s.

I'll definetly be coming to your place for a curry one night so perhaps we should get a few

members off here and mkiv group together for a meet

I look forward to having a drive in it soon :)

Really chuffed about it all Dunk :)

The Curry meet sounds like a great idea, I'm sure my father can sort out a nice discount for the members if we arranged something :)