The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear Strut Bar, Any point in having them?

Dim Sum

Is that the cross brace that is underneath? It will probably be a bit better as it is attached to the chassis. If it is the one I am thinking of I think some people install them on aerotops, doesn't make it perfect but it makes a difference if the reports are true :)

na this is the Do Luck brace,

Ah - ha, that's my old car. Glad to see my picture is still doing the rounds! ;)

That car was an NA aerotop, and I can state categorically that bracing the front and rear tightened up the car no end, especially with the roof off. Completely fixed any interior creaking with the roof on too. I suspect the gains are smaller on a fixed roof car, but still worth having for track work. Probably not for the road.

Your turning this thread into a broken record blue.

IMO it will do nothing, it looks pretty though.

I can see how extra bracing would help an aerotop but I can't see how any brace across the width would do anything to help scuttle shake (the term when the front twists clockwise while the rear twists anticlockwise). They would have to be crossed over in the floor of the car. I haven't experienced the effect so I can't deny that they work, I can only say that I have tried front struts and rear struts, branded and unbranded, and felt absolutely no difference.

I noticed a massive difference with a simple geo so if you want a noticeable difference to handling get decent tyres and a geo done :D

Guess this is the end of the thread lol. Might as-well think about re-selling the bar and get some new panels which i cut out the hole for the brace.

Thanks for the info all.

Not if you like the look bud. I have one on the front purely for aesthetics :)

The 350z had one as standard and it got completely in the way of the boot space :) something an OEM surely wouldn't do lightly?

I've got one, previous owner fitted it. It's a handy anchor to wedge stuff against \o/

I think the front one does have some effect - jack the car up via the front subframe and then try taking it off ;)

My friend give me this one, which I attached it on today. probably no brand but will it do anything?http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s154/fightersblue/th_IMAG0082.jpg

I bought the same one. It's a cheapo ebay item. I think it was like 30£ or so. I only got it after doing my rear seat delete to keep luggage from flying through the cabin.. But yeah, looks pretty ;)

http://idisk.me.com/stefanbovien/public/rearseat3.jpg

I noticed a difference when I fitted a rear brace. On the road to my house there were 5 speed humps I had to negotiate, without the brace I could hear the rear twist and the rear door creak, the brace stopped the noise.

Was/is yours a hardtop or aerotop? I'm also guessing that the one you fitted was a proper sturdy one, right?

Because the Supra has double wishbone suspension front and rear the addition of strut braces does sweet F.A.

As far as I'm aware the strut brace was primarily used with at least some degree of success to stop geometry degradation on cars with McPherson Strut type supsension in hard cornering.

If the strut brace is a rigid type (ala TRD) then it will help to reduce any relative movement between the strut tops (ie the bit the top of the damper is bolted to). If the spring / damper rates are particularly high you may well see some movement here as the damper is reacting against this. If the brace has a pivot in it, then agreed it won't be doing anything as it would only stop lateral movement of which there shouldn't really be any.

As does the Aristo...

Touché :duel: :)

If the strut brace is a rigid type (ala TRD) then it will help to reduce any relative movement between the strut tops (ie the bit the top of the damper is bolted to). If the spring / damper rates are particularly high you may well see some movement here as the damper is reacting against this. If the brace has a pivot in it, then agreed it won't be doing anything as it would only stop lateral movement of which there shouldn't really be any.

I like that answer.

You saved me from looking like a total prat. :D