The mkiv Supra Owners Club

intercooler water spray any good

mellonman

"

it is essential to add an anti freeze additive to the water to stop pump

damage through freezing. Windscreen washer additive serves this purpose

fine "

Don't know where you got that from Chris, as most high pressure pumps are recommended not to run ethylene glycol additive's, as it will damage the seals etc used in the pump, mind you some won't even run 100% Methanol either.

I know of no screen wash additive that uses the paint stripper ethylene glycol. That's the stuff most coolant anti freeze is made of. Most screen wash additive is methanol based. During the recent cold snap 4 five litre tubs of neat concentrate screen wash in the shed froze nearly solid. Watered down it would have been totally solid. A friend had a bill for 280 quid due to his BMW headlamp washers freezing up, despite him using 50 / 50 water and screenwash concentrate mix. It seems the stuff ain't what it used to be!

People get all excited about new stuff when really a stock I/C is probably better than an unducted huge FMIC thing with a cheap core from one of the box shifters. Toyota did a superb install on the standard unit and it's extremely efficient as ALL the air entering the stock bumper aperture has to go through, rather than around the intercooler, and the exit path for the hot air is into a low pressure region in the front wheel arch. Bettering the setup is hard, how many people here have properly ducted FMIC's? Deleting the stock rad duct to fit a front mount I/C also compromises the water rad efficiency. It's easy to spend £700 and make the set up worse that stock.

Me :), Greddy 4ROW with great endtank design, all air through front mouth goes through FMIC, electric fans running 100% behind rad to create as low pressure behind FMIC as possible, fan shroud sealed again rad for maximum fan efficiency, ducting cost me a couple of quid and a day to make.

no water temp probs here

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?197330-FMIC-ducting-install&p=2509916&viewfull=1#post2509916

attachment.php?attachmentid=98747&d=1253469421

attachment.php?attachmentid=98750&d=1253469421

I know of no screen wash additive that uses the paint stripper ethylene glycol. That's the stuff most coolant anti freeze is made of. Most screen wash additive is methanol based. During the recent cold snap 4 five litre tubs of neat concentrate screen wash in the shed froze nearly solid. Watered down it would have been totally solid. A friend had a bill for 280 quid due to his BMW headlamp washers freezing up, despite him using 50 / 50 water and screenwash concentrate mix. It seems the stuff ain't what it used to be!

Ahh! thought it did, maybe used to? anyway that doesn't bode well for using methanol to prevent WI tank and lines from freezing.

I was gonna say that but there was bound to be some detractor who says yeah but you cant use that with a front mount cooler nyeh nyeh :D

All the decent branded FMIC kits I know fit around the stock airbox. I know many of the Ebay ones don't as the IC piping fouls on the intake pipe from the airbox.

i do still have the stock air box i see a thread when i first got the car saying these air boxes are best up to 500bhp i think it was

Wes is running a PHR Stage 1 turbo at 592hp with a stock airbox, I think if I built another 550-600hp Supra I would do the same.