The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blow Off Valves

Geo

You could run a stock BOV with no problems I'd say. It will does the same thing as any other.

Yes they mean running without one completely.

There are various arguments about the subject. I'd leave it to user preference. If they want to run one then they should and vice versa.

Ok, I've got a tad confused about all of this, I'm certainly no expert when it comes to turbos's(I'm good working on V-Tecs though:d), if someone could help clarify it for me that would be great.

I just recently purchased, but not fitted, a HKS SSQV3 BOV as I will be running BPU at 1.2Bar and thought that an upgraded BOV would be a must(I will probably be wrong though), but, firstly, can I just run with the standard BOV? As I'm not really into the loud TSSSHHHH sounds(although external wastegate sound, I do like, they remind me of a fighter jet:d)

Secondly, when you say, 'run without a BOV' are you on about running with the standard recirculating one or complete removal, if you mean complete removal, will that make it silent?(probably a dumb question, but if you don't ask....)

Yeah without one. The compressor surge sound is quite nice and I don't think, other than the sound that I'd mind having one or not.

Ok, I've got a tad confused about all of this, I'm certainly no expert when it comes to turbos's(I'm good working on V-Tecs though:d), if someone could help clarify it for me that would be great.

I just recently purchased, but not fitted, a HKS SSQV3 BOV as I will be running BPU at 1.2Bar and thought that an upgraded BOV would be a must(I will probably be wrong though), but, firstly, can I just run with the standard BOV? As I'm not really into the loud TSSSHHHH sounds(although external wastegate sound, I do like, they remind me of a fighter jet:d)

Secondly, when you say, 'run without a BOV' are you on about running with the standard recirculating one or complete removal, if you mean complete removal, will that make it silent?(probably a dumb question, but if you don't ask....)

Running without one as in its not fitted, you get lots of compressor surge which sounds quite nice, sort of rapid ch ch ch ch ch ch noise lol. You can still get a pleasant whoosh noise from the stock recirc valve if you BFI your airbox or run a cone filter :)

• 1 month later...

Is there a guide on removing/deleting the stock BOV?

Where does the re-circulated air get sent to? On my REV2 MR2, the air was directed to the inlet after the Air Flow Meter, so if you diconnected the BOV then it caused problems as the engine didn't know where the air had vanished to!

Does the Supra have an Air flow Meter? Are there any complications with deleting the BOV similar to that of the REV2?

I have a J-Spec, so it should be unaffected then. I was thinking about removing it and not using one... I'd need to blank off some pipes, right?

Removing the BOV won't affect performance, you will just get increased turbo stall on lift off.

You will need to remove the BOV, 2 pipes and vac hose, then cap off each of the 3 pipes.

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/8746/picture1cvv.png

Shows one of the pipes capped off, the other pipe and the vac hose will also need sealing.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/8874/picture2cv.png

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

As long as there is no negative performance effect then that's fine. I know BOVs don't increase power or anytihng like that, I just want to see if I like the noise of the turbo flutter without it.

What's the recommended way to cap off the pipes? The picture looks like part of the plastic tub used in Kinder Eggs :D

Will I need new clamps or can I use the ones from the pipes already there?

The UK spec has a mass air flow (MAF) sensor which is effected by a vent to atmosphere BOV.

This might be a silly question then. But if the MAF sensor is effected, then how do you go about fitting an aftermarket atmospheric bov?

Do you have any pics of an aftermarket bov fitted on a uk spec?

This might be a silly question then. But if the MAF sensor is effected, then how do you go about fitting an aftermarket atmospheric bov?

Do you have any pics of an aftermarket bov fitted on a uk spec?

Instead of the BOV venting the air to atmosphere, it needs to be recirculated back into the intake - the same as the stock BOV. This means you won't get the whistle from the BOV, but it does mean the MAF sensor will not be effected.

HKS do a recirculation kit for their SSQV BOV.

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/blow_off/lineup/71002at002.html

http://www.hks-power.co.jp/products/blow_off/lineup/img/71002at002.jpg

J Spec with the VVTi engine also have a MAF sensor and are affected by a vent to atmosphere BOV also. But my question is whether it is worth paying the extra cash for the HKS if its doing the same job as the OEM ABV...are there any efficiency gains or is it just for the look!?:confused:

So am i right in saying there is no way of fitting a bov that is vented to atmosphere on a UK spec or VVTi?

You can fit them fine. Not sure what bad effects they have. I have never noticed anything.

All I've noticed is the car stalls a bit when the ecu has been reset and it's re learning. But that's while stationary and off boost.

My uk has had a normal ssqv for years and I haven't noticed anything. Afrs are ok

You can also plumb them in to circulate