The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU Test Ride

2soops

Great advice from you all, will speak to Paul tomorrow to sort out the parts i need.

I know what you mean about getting bored with the power and always wanting more, i feel that way about the stock tt now. I have 265 Avons on the back at the moment and can easily spin them at 60mph in a straight line in the wet, might have to upgrade these at some point but they're nearly new. Its fine in the dry and i don't very often take it out in the rain anyway.

Im glad no one has anything negative to say about BPU ant cant wait to get it done

Great advice from you all, will speak to Paul tomorrow to sort out the parts i need.

I know what you mean about getting bored with the power and always wanting more, i feel that way about the stock tt now. I have 265 Avons on the back at the moment and can easily spin them at 60mph in a straight line in the wet, might have to upgrade these at some point but they're nearly new. Its fine in the dry and i don't very often take it out in the rain anyway.

Im glad no one has anything negative to say about BPU ant cant wait to get it done

I wanted to get a TT6 BPU when I buy but not many companies will insure me (as I'm 22) and the ones that will are quoting me over £4000.

I'll have to start with a stock TT then BPU myself but with the price of the Whifbitz kit I might as well start out stock and learn the car before upping the power :)

I wanted to get a TT6 BPU when I buy but not many companies will insure me (as I'm 22) and the ones that will are quoting me over £4000.

I'll have to start with a stock TT then BPU myself but with the price of the Whifbitz kit I might as well start out stock and learn the car before upping the power :)

Nah, just turn the boost down so it only makes .7 to .8 bar and your in a stock car ;)

Nah, just turn the boost down so it only makes .7 to .8 bar and your in a stock car ;)

But the insurance is a killer with all the mods.

How do you guys insure because when I called companies to get a quote, I listed the mods and after about 4 they all said "there are more?!" sounding surprised! Most of them didn't know what the mods were, when I said "blow off valve" they were like "what?" so I said "dump valve" and they seemed to only just about understand.

I'd hate to call them to get a quote on some of the big boys' cars and having to list all the mods!

I'm in Watlington off J6 of the M40 if you want a try out but like people have said before best wait until the weather has dried up a bit!

BPU is easily the best mod you can do for the money, but DO NOT forget about your brakes/suspension/tyres etc because faster speeds DO need to be controlled

I'm in Watlington off J6 of the M40 if you want a try out but like people have said before best wait until the weather has dried up a bit!

BPU is easily the best mod you can do for the money, but DO NOT forget about your brakes/suspension/tyres etc because faster speeds DO need to be controlled

Ive got UK brakes all round ready to fit along with some HSD's. Im gonna take the car off the road over the winter and sort all this ready for next year. I may well send you a pm when it dries up if im not sorted out before.

Thanks

Ive got UK brakes all round ready to fit along with some HSD's. Im gonna take the car off the road over the winter and sort all this ready for next year. I may well send you a pm when it dries up if im not sorted out before.

Thanks

bpu really kicks the standard car however certain things you should know car gets quite bit louder when you decat it and put exhaust on,personally i found the hks type r intercooler the biggest gain on the car, the least gain i saw was from the f-con v pro ecu, however go for the best materials you can afford and they can be used if you want to go single in future, on top of my bpu set up i just need turbo probaly garret gtx 35r, manifold, down pipe, and some drop in injectors to get me another 100hp or so 550hp

How old are you Josh ? and what insurance companies are you talking to ?

I turned 22 on Friday just gone.

I've spoken to LWIB, A-plan, Lancaster, Admiral, Direct Line and a few places I found with a Google search for young drivers and modified insurance.

Most of them said they won't insure me due to either mods, age or the fact it is an import.

I've checked on price comparison sites with one/both of my parents as names drivers and the quotes are still over £4000.

wow, have you got points on you license? £4k seems a lot even for a 22yr old.

Nope, no points, no criminal convictions, nothing!

I've had 2 crashes. One was in March 2007 which was a head on collision on a single lane gravel track which wasn't my fault and the other party accepted liability. The second was in October 2007 where I crashed into the back of a parked Sky van (yes, I know :tongue:) and so that was obviously my fault.

In March next year I'll have been driving for 5 years and I'll have 3 years NCB.

I live in a good area and will keep the car in a locked garage at my house overnight.

It'll be used for social only and with limited mileage of 6000 miles p/a.

I've no idea why it's so high, even for a stock TT with an aftermarket exhaust, wheels and suspension I'm still getting quotes over £4000.

Help! :search:

Running the j-spec turbos at 1.2bar can reduce their life, there is a risk of the ceramic turbine blowing.

On average, what sort of life span do the J-Spec turbos have? I know it will vary but any ideas? My car has been Bpu'd since it clocked 46000 miles, and is just coming upto 51000 now. Its only used as a weekend car, and its not driven hard all the time. Should i be worried that 1.2 Bar is to much?

On average, what sort of life span do the J-Spec turbos have? I know it will vary but any ideas? My car has been Bpu'd since it clocked 46000 miles, and is just coming upto 51000 now. Its only used as a weekend car, and its not driven hard all the time. Should i be worried that 1.2 Bar is to much?
maintance and not thrashing the car everytime you drive it like some members should last a long time.

Impossible to say some go many 10K's miles other not so far.

I blew 2 pairs (original pair and a replacement brand new pair) in around 50K kms. That was HK roads though, where you're stopping and starting all the time, rarely get to cruise and rarely get out of 3rd/4th gear.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Cheers for the reply guys, i did think it would be impossible to know how long they might last, but thought id see what other mebers opinions were. As i say the car isn't used as a daily driver, and its not thrashed around when i do use it. It does get a quick blast every now and then, but im not talking mile after mile of WOT. So im guessing 1.2 Bar should be fine.

Nope, no points, no criminal convictions, nothing!

I've had 2 crashes. One was in March 2007 which was a head on collision on a single lane gravel track which wasn't my fault and the other party accepted liability. The second was in October 2007 where I crashed into the back of a parked Sky van (yes, I know :tongue:) and so that was obviously my fault.

In March next year I'll have been driving for 5 years and I'll have 3 years NCB.

I live in a good area and will keep the car in a locked garage at my house overnight.

It'll be used for social only and with limited mileage of 6000 miles p/a.

I've no idea why it's so high, even for a stock TT with an aftermarket exhaust, wheels and suspension I'm still getting quotes over £4000.

Help! :search:

Wow, that is bad:blink: