The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Stick on front number plate

Neil-NA

are they reflective? i think thats also a requirement

I doubt mine are but again ive had no problems

Aren't plates supposed to have BSAU numbers on them to making stick ons illegal!:?

Yes they should.

As i said i've had no problems in over 5 years with my stick on reg, i think the biggest reason i've not had any hassle is because it looks legal and is the required size so doesn't draw any closer inspection.

I save all this hastle and just don't run with a front numberplate, worst case scenario is £30 fine and I think in a total of running no front plate for 2 years, I've been pulled twice.

Need to get front smoothed on new Supra and then I'll be running without again.

Just because the DVLA "aren't aware of any" that meet the requirements doesn't mean they aren't legal. Let's face it, the DVLA aren't aware of their own backside most of the time! It just means nobody has bothered getting them to examine one. As long as they meet the other requirements for colour, reflectivity, font size etc then they will be legal.

Just because the DVLA "aren't aware of any" that meet the requirements doesn't mean they aren't legal. Let's face it, the DVLA aren't aware of their own backside most of the time! It just means nobody has bothered getting them to examine one. As long as they meet the other requirements for colour, reflectivity, font size etc then they will be legal.

The ANPR cameras and speed cameras can't effectively pick up the reflections on a car with a numberplate that isn't flat. Same reason you have to have the correct font style and size.

The ANPR cameras and speed cameras can't effectively pick up the reflections on a car with a numberplate that isn't flat. Same reason you have to have the correct font style and size.

I had stickers on my orange civic, had no problems picking up a congestion charge fine when I forgot to pay by 10pm.

Police had no issues either, had more trouble when I had my plate in the window.

*sigh* either way, the DVLA says the stickers aren't legal unless they're approved for use. Prove yours are and I'll shut up, but I looked into this extensively when deciding what to do on my own car. I couldn't find any way of displaying a legal numberplate that wasn't a conventional plastic plate.

Edited by Gaz6002 (see edit history)

*sigh* either way, the DVLA says the stickers aren't legal unless they're approved for use. Prove yours are and I'll shut up, but I looked into this extensively when deciding what to do on my own car. I couldn't find any way of displaying a legal numberplate that wasn't a conventional plastic plate.

Yep regardless they are still deemed illegal.

Just stating that I never had any trouble with them, infact the officer who pulled me over before for when I had the number plate in my dash board actually said "Well done for FINALLY sorting out your number plate". :)

Cheers matey, i will do it without the black border.

Liking the cold air feed poking out ;)

it only had a border cause it started to peel got a new one now .

i dont see any problem the letters are the right height and its reflective .btw if your putting it there you need a hairdryer to warm it up .

I save all this hastle and just don't run with a front numberplate, worst case scenario is £30 fine and I think in a total of running no front plate for 2 years, I've been pulled twice.

Need to get front smoothed on new Supra and then I'll be running without again.

Fine's gone up to £60 now for a dodgy numberplate... same as no seatbelt and a few other things. Changed earlier this year :)

it only had a border cause it started to peel got a new one now .

i dont see any problem the letters are the right height and its reflective .btw if your putting it there you need a hairdryer to warm it up .

Cheers matey.

The 2 i have got have legal size and type font and a reflective backing, but TBH im not too worried round here as the cops tend to turn a blind eye, if i got away with the plate on my mx5 then i am sure it wont be a problem on the supra.