The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bovingdon Track/Drag Day 14th August

terribleturner

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I count 27 supra owners on the list so far, now with Samsupra, total so far is 29 supes, dont know how many friends cars we got coming, maybe we should start another list of those people bringing mates, and what cars they drive,just to get an idea on numbers.

Just to update y'all on my pet project - drag strip timing gear...

(Long post, be warned! :D)

Right, I have come up with one design, my uncle has come up with another. We're currently deciding which one to go for at which point I will be putting every spare second into getting it done and dusted.

I have a small problem though, as James is aware... purchasing my first Supra (arrives this month) ha been draining me of every last penny I have, so buying the bits is goimng to be interesting (Miht have to speak to you about that James), but I still reckon it can be done properly with more accuracy than we'd ever need for around £200~£400 - a lot less than the hire charge J was originally talking about and it' reuseable (& 'improveable') time after time! :clap:

I'd say the chances of me getting the gear together are good, and I am still aiming to get it all together by the end of this month so James has some time to sort out an alternative (seems it's already on standby anyway :)) if I fail :(

Progress has been slower than I'd have hoped, but I have been kind of busy (been on holiday and been kind of distracted a lot by the actions I've had to do as part of the process of getting my Supra here). THAT SAID I'm not that worried because I'm the sort of person who always end up leaving everything to the last minute anyway.

Now, I need your help again... if anyone has an issue with any assumptions I've made please let me know now so I can sort them before I make it! :D

1) Running 2 cars at the same time is how important for this meet? Are people wanting to drag race, or just be timed? 2 lanes pretty much doubles costs (twice as many bits needed) - may/may not be a problem but like I say I'm pretty skint right now. I am aiming for 2 but is it a problem if I only get timing gear for 1 lane working on time (this time)?

2) We don't really need a pre-stage sensor & light at this time, it will be acceptable to simply go drive forward into the path of a beam used to get launch/reaction times, and slowly edge back until the christmas tree says the car isn't in the beam any more - et voila! you are now 'pre-staged'.

3) It's ok to just time/calculate; reaction time, and 1/4 mile time, and the terminal speed (measured over the last ~60ft), sense jump-starts (but still give a time). I won't be timing 1/8 mile, fisrt 60ft time, etc etc - just the basics for this event, I'll build those in as an option later down the line...

4) It's ok to assume from the green light all cars will have crossed the finish line within 65 seconds (I should hope so!! :D) - this may/may not be an issue depending on the timing bits I use.

5) Timing to the nearest millisecond (and accuracy to milliseconds - different things) is required, nothing more (it'd be pretty meaningless to go further, TBH)

I think that's it for now, if I think of something I'll ask and long post you all to death some more :p

Well... you asked! ;)

Guest Terry S

Out of interest, why doesnt the Club, from their vast pit of coffers, by a Racelogic V Box for events like this.

The Datron system will only do one car at a time anyway.

James, if you are into the expense of hiring timing gear, you still ok with the cost per car??

James, if you are into the expense of hiring timing gear, you still ok with the cost per car??

Yeah it should be fine still. It worked out cheap for a whole weekend as they don't supply a technicion. Got go up there a few days before for my lessons on how to use it though :D

Steve sounds good. Would be ideal if you can get it to time 2 cars at the same time, but dosen't matter too much. If you feel the costs running away then do what you can.

Costs aren't running away, they're still what I thought they'd be, it's just I'm still skint! :D

I've got my eye on a few COTS bits that mean puttin gthe kit together should be epretty easy, then it's just a case of developing the software (pretty simple) - and my unlce is well into this sort of project so he's likely to help me a lot/do it all anyway. I'm still looking at it beaing ready at about the end of this month, and not panicing yet, put it that way. ;)

Count me in and my mate in his gto ,only as spectators though.

That's cool, but you know you'll get down there and wanna have a go at the 1/4 mile :p

Just to upset you all. I'm still trying to find some models for the day, here are 2 lovely ladies who unfortunatly wont be making the event :(

But im still trying.

The track has been decided on earlier today and it looks rather good if i say so myself. Because the cones caused a rather large problem to hire (£370 for 100) i have gone with a different route. 2 Nice straghts where you should be able to hit 130 maybe 140 (these are guestimates) and a corner between that could be taken at 80-100 possibly. Will post a picture tomorrow or Saturday. :ecstatic: