The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Black supra massive rear quarter damage, Anyones?

The Raven

How much is it, whats the score with it being cat b? why does that stop joe public buying?

Its currently.............£200 LOL

A cat B means its been deemed unsuitable for being repaired therfore unless you are a vetted breaker you cant buy it as the body shell must be crushed.

I tried in vain to convince the local breaker i know to get it for me. Even thats a real no no.

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)

Thats weird. My parents had a cat B car a matter of weeks ago. All we were told was that it couldn't go on the road again. Basically it had to go to scrap but they did tell us there was nothing stopping us pulling it to bits and taking what we wanted off it first and there was no time scale as to when it needed scrapping.

So whats stopping the person who owns it selling you everything off it rather than buying it complete. Basically you take it, strip it and deal with getting it scrapped on behalf of the owner?

Thats weird. My parents had a cat B car a matter of weeks ago. All we were told was that it couldn't go on the road again. Basically it had to go to scrap but they did tell us there was nothing stopping us pulling it to bits and taking what we wanted off it first and there was no time scale as to when it needed scrapping.

So whats stopping the person who owns it selling you everything off it rather than buying it complete. Basically you take it, strip it and deal with getting it scrapped on behalf of the owner?

Its at an auction........they wont let you.

Ah, I see. Seems bloody stupid. I don't see what the problem with Joe public buying it and then stripping and disposing of the shell. Bloody crazy, Feeling for ya dude... It's one of those so close yet so far situations!

Yeah i know, crazy isnt it.

I feel the need to don the black clothes and go and help myself.

Dam thing is less than 2 miles away

Why not ask someone with a salvage license to buy it for you? Keron should have one

I tried, the response was ......Jog on like id asked to spend the night with the guys mum, with both the ones i know.

I dont want to bother Keron as im sure he has the same rules as the others. I will wait for a CAT C or D and buy it myself.

Edited by The Raven (see edit history)

Is it hard to get a salvage licence?

In a word yes, I have sold my licensed breaking business 8 months ago now.

The simple explanation is you will need business premises with planning permission for breaking, i.e heavy industrial use.

You will then need some one qualified on your site with a Wamitab or similar qualifaction.

Then pay 3k and wait 8-12 months for them to inspect you. You will need appropriate oil/antifreeze storage facilities.

When you pass then pay £225 a month for the privalidge of having the license.

Having held a license and knowing how difficult is is to get and keep I dont think you will find anyone willing to buy a car for you as its strictly against all guide lines.

Also there is no way that will sell fro £200, in my experiance it will still go for close to 2K even being cat B as alot of the europeons are buying the cat b's and putting them back on the road in another country.

Its on the Uks biggest salvage site, there is also an NA manual

Edited by David Reid (see edit history)