The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BMW 318 MOT Nightmate

Wazz72

I needed to get my car that I use for work MOTd over the weekend. My local garage couldn't do it for a week, so I had to take it to another one.

The garage that I took it to is part of a national chain.

They did the MOT, it failed on a few things, they said that they would sort it out for the Monday.

I had it collected on the Monday evening, as I was at work, the Bill was £360.

Apparently it needed a new CAT, 2 Back Tyres, and some other bits.

Drove it to work, and about halfway up the M3 the coolant light came on. I pulled in and called the garage.

They said that the car was low on coolant, and that they had put this on an advisory note (on the failure MOT).

I do about 60 miles a day in the car, so I always check the coolant weekly, the coolant was full on the Saturday when it went into the garage, if it was leaking I would have noticed it on the drive.

The AA came out and recovered the car from the M3, had a look at it and explained that it looked like the head gasket was blown due to overheating (Lack of coolant)

Phoned the garage that did the job, they said that they could fix it, but it would be around £400-£500.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Doesn't look like they touched anything to effect coolant level, so I would say not liable, coolant should not be an advisory as its not an MOT point.

You can actually refuse to test due to the possibility of blowing up the engine during the cat test.....some morons do this but others will just top it up and give you an advisory.

Doesn't look like they touched anything to effect coolant level, so I would say not liable, coolant should not be an advisory as its not an MOT point.

That is the reason why I would be suspicious.

:yeahthat:

It would be difficult to put the blame on them when they carried out MOT work.

Thing is though, doesn't the car need to run on no coolant for a while for the HG to blow?

:yeahthat:

It would be difficult to put the blame on them when they carried out MOT work.

Thing is though, doesn't the car need to run on no coolant for a while for the HG to blow?

Time isn't really the factor, it's temperature. Could happen very quickly depending on the lack of coolant.

Did the cooling fan work? they may have inadvertantly cooked it during the MOT as the car sits for a long time idling. If the fan didnt work it could have over heated.

If the fan didnt work though and then it over heated in there hand I dont see it as there responcibility.

If it had no oil in it would they have told me? The same should have applied to the coolant.

afik mot garages should not be looking at the oil levels - its not their responsiblity to maintain your car..

now if you had asked for a service and then you have these issues then YES you should of been made aware of it and then rectified if you agreed to the costs..

there is too many times when garages get the blame unfairly.:)

afik mot garages should not be looking at the oil levels - its not their responsiblity to maintain your car..

now if you had asked for a service and then you have these issues then YES you should of been made aware of it and then rectified if you agreed to the costs..

there is too many times when garages get the blame unfairly.:)

checking oil is part of the test prior to doing the emissions

checking oil is part of the test prior to doing the emissions

Are you sure, I watch all my MOT's and over the last 14 years for my cars and my GF, maybe 40+ MOT's at 4 different test stations and have never seen the dipstick removed from the engine. My Father is also an ex-mot inspector and service manager and he has always told me oil water levels are nothing to do with MOT. Only checked during service

The majority leave the car running during the test to keep the cat hot, making it impossible to check the oil.

I dont think there is any requirement to check either oil or water, sorry I think its BS.

:D we had vosa pop there heads in yesterday to make sure we are testing correctly and thats points if they miss doing checks like that... just et them know, they prob do it when you blink

Are you sure, I watch all my MOT's and over the last 14 years for my cars and my GF, maybe 40+ MOT's at 4 different test stations and have never seen the dipstick removed from the engine. My Father is also an ex-mot inspector and service manager and he has always told me oil water levels are nothing to do with MOT. Only checked during service

The majority leave the car running during the test to keep the cat hot, making it impossible to check the oil.

I dont think there is any requirement to check either oil or water, sorry I think its BS.

Considering they had VOSA round recently then I'd assume they advised.

A lot of MOT Testers miss out the little things... Unless VOSA are there!

well you are talking to a mot tester mate :), 110% oil level needs to be checked prior emission test,water on the other hand has nothing to do with the test... can be advised by the tester if he feels its right too

well you are talking to a mot tester mate :), 110% oil level needs to be checked prior emission test,water on the other hand has nothing to do with the test... can be advised by the tester if he feels its right too

+1 on that!! Again, not many testers do though. But should be done especially on diesels, Plus you need to remove the dipstick to test the oil temp!

+1 on that!! Again, not many testers do though. But should be done especially on diesels, Plus you need to remove the dipstick to test the oil temp!

yeah but you can bypass the oil temp if the inside car gauge reads ok (if it has one)

i have been looking through some books now and a couple state oil checks should be done.

obvious not many testers do this, things might have been alted at some point but its always stuck down our garage.

** now this is crazy and sorry to go off topic but listen to this**

we mot tested a vehicle the other day and failed the vehicle for seriously scorn discs and pads, obviously low (metal to metal)

Now the new rules at the moment have disgarded the DISCS :blink:, SO to get a pass ticket for the vehicle all that would need to be done is new pads, and a good brake reading :blink: with advise on the discs.... they are changing it back but how dangerous is that:Pling: as you all know you test a car on its minimal requirments (one mile fine next mile down the road FAIL)

Edited by Rob_Mitchell (see edit history)