high milage going single ?

mellonman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah i know that all the parts com in at around 3k as will be doing alot of work myself will save alot on labour

as for my bpu i have

front mount

bov

apexi avcr

uk brakes 20 grove disks

do luck braded hoses

stock lsd (according to vin plate)

strut brace front and rear

today had something funny happen even thow my turbos are shot and have the avcr turned off i got good boost again from the first turbo from 3000 -4000 i got 0.97 boost which i clearly felt and the died down which is what made me look at the avcr and was shocked being that i couldnt make that boost even wot in a high gear strange maybe more is wrong than i first thought

You might have a knackered boost solenoid? Take the AVCR out and try it. Eliminate everything before going to expense.

i have turned the avcr off so solenoid is not working,

my turbos are well dead i took it apart to look at the turbo blades of the compressor and they all have the corners missing.

thats why its so strange to get this pwer surge this morning it was only for a couple of seconds but did notice it!!!!!

does anyone know what boost you would get from the common compressor blade fail ?

Im getting about 0.6 first and max 0.9 on 2nd

or am i looking at there being a vsv and egbv problem it seems to all the time so will have alook at all my hoses tonight

Edited by mellonman
massive spelling fail (see edit history)

okey so looks to be another problem,

i can still set the boost control to make what ever boost,

but saying if i had no boost control at all would i still be getting bpu boost? of like 0.75 first and 1.1 second

If you have a restrictor ring in the exhaust and a decat then definitely, yes. The decat allows the J-Spec to boost to around 1.5-1.6bar (booooom) and the restrictor ring pulls that back to an acceptable level. It isn't an exact science but in your case you are seeing 1.1bar.

If you have a restrictor ring in the exhaust and a decat then definitely, yes. The decat allows the J-Spec to boost to around 1.5-1.6bar (booooom) and the restrictor ring pulls that back to an acceptable level. It isn't an exact science but in your case you are seeing 1.1bar.

let me get this right so even if my turbos look like this i will still make bpu boost without a boost controler.........

IMG00174-20100905-1108.jpg

IMG00176-20100905-1109.jpg

there was small amount of play to be honest and i have a hks panel filter would that make a differance?

Not sure about the panel filters, but the induction kits aren't the best TBH and let quite a bit of crap through. A different type of filter might be better. I lost two sets of turbos because of HKS filters.

i just set up the turbos to run as tandom,to try and see if that would over come the problem but im still only geting boost of 0.9

i also checked all hoses and they look okay.

question 1

how else can i find out what is going wrong i would of said it was the turbo doing it but from the posts thats not the case?

question 2

is tandom how a sigle would act?

i just set up the turbos to run as tandom,to try and see if that would over come the problem but im still only geting boost of 0.9

i also checked all hoses and they look okay.

question 1

how else can i find out what is going wrong i would of said it was the turbo doing it but from the posts thats not the case?

Remove the restrictor ring, then do a test drive to see if it'll boost higher, be careful with your right foot not to let it boost too high.

question 2

is tandom how a sigle would act?

Kind of, the power is more linear throughout the rev range, stock turbos running in parallel are laggy compared to a small/medium sized single turbo.

exactly - the stock turbos running in tandem have a lean spot during the crossover, so i would expect you would be losing performance to say the least.

also a single turbo (GT35 or larger) would be pushing a lot more power for the same amount of boost.......chalk and cheese really.

i will take the ring out but only have 2.5 1st decat pipe so might not make much differance,

im getting the feeling the the egcv is not opening fully and thats why the turbo went

does anyone know how easy these are ment to operate cos it is very hard to more manually i defeatly couldnt get it to activate fully by hand /pliers

It will make whatever boost your car made without boost control previously. Comparing the car with the controller on vs the controller off is like comparing apples and oranges. You can't assume there is a problem because you aren't hitting whatever the restrictor ring says you should be.

My car has a 1.2bar restrictor ring in it. Without a boost controller in it makes 0.6 and 0.9 in low gears and 0.7 and 1.0bar in higher gears. I then use the boost controller to bring it up to 1.2bar.

You are in a similar situation. It sounds as if your boost controller is maybe setup wrong? You were getting uncharacteristic readings so you turned it off? is that right? When you turned it off you started seeing 0.6 and 0.9, which you assumed was wrong as you have a 1.1bar restrictor ring in? If that's the case then you have nothing to worry about. However, due to the condition of the turbo's I wouldn't be pushing them past 1.0bar if you want them to last any length of time. Pushing them to 1.2 will take them way way outside their efficiency range.

point taken

the turbos did use to make more then that,im only getting 0.9 flat out in 3rd. i got more the that before bpu,

i only turnt the avcr off when i had a over boost problem when changing gear

(this was due to the duty being so high the solenoid couldnt cope)

then i was like why is that duty so high then it come to me im not making correct boost so turnt it off to see what i was getting and then got the results of 0.6 and 0.9, so then checked turbo and see all blades with the corner missing,