Windows Phones 7 Series

edinlexusV8

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LG Optimus 7 - nice app :notworthy

E1UnP0urZqQ

DNLA app? Dude, that is old upnp controlling stuff, not EXACTLY what I would call revolutionary. Hell I can do that from pretty much most devices in my home.

Not being funny, and I know you think I pick on you, but that simply isn't the case, when it comes to tech make sure you understand the audience.

It can't play the film on the device... XBMC has had this remote control option for a while....and that is a silly open source app. XBMC remote pauses, plays, and even shows the text message on the screen.

Step away from the koolaid for 10 minutes and look at the outside world outside your 'windows' :)

Oii ... I do have a life outside windows ... I would like to use the best of things so you do end up with non windows based stuff!... Noticed on this forum that people mostly discuss about IPhone or Samsung Desire (android based). So I started this thread. As I said before this thread is to discuss some good features on the upcoming Windows Phones 7 -phones. I am looking for a good phone for a couple of months for both business and personal use. Initially I wanted to get an Android based phone but I am looking for one with a qwerty keypad and good battery life and endless features (not apps!) So looking up for new upcoming phones.

Oii ... I do have a life outside windows ... I would like to use the best of things so you do end up with non windows based stuff!... Noticed on this forum that people mostly discuss about IPhone or Samsung Desire (android based). So I started this thread. As I said before this thread is to discuss some good features on the upcoming Windows Phones 7 -phones. I am looking for a good phone for a couple of months for both business and personal use. Initially I wanted to get an Android based phone but I am looking for one with a qwerty keypad and good battery life and endless features (not apps!) So looking up for new upcoming phones.

There is nothing wrong with a bit of a debate :) In fact the three threads (iphone, android, winmo7) are an excellent discussion point for anyone considering new phones, since they do bring out both fanbois and haters of each platform. Graham S (My neighbour) is a big apple iphone fanboi, and I keep taking home various phones for him to have a look at and compare, he still leans towards the iphone but happened to like the Galaxy S.

The thing is, we (and I will include you in this), have a habit of looking at the phone tech first and then usability which isn't always the best way to look at it for a consumer, as the UI for most users is what really counts, they don't care what is underneath as long as it works for them.

I will agree with you on the fact that most android phones are touchscreen and suffer with lack of a decent keyboard, in fact I'm still waiting for the next ubber phone to have a keyboard, and the android devices so far with keyboards have always sacrificed screen size which is a shame. Something like a galaxy s/desire with a nice slide out keyboard would probably be a keeper for me, but nothing so far has ticked all the boxes.

I like the good tech banter we get on this forum which is very unusual for a car forum. Quite a few tech savvy guys on here! As you are a moderator you can easily find out that I have been using chrome for browsing from the very beginning I joined up on this site!

Anyway my hunt for a good business friendly phone continues!

I like the good tech banter we get on this forum which is very unusual for a car forum. Quite a few tech savvy guys on here!

As you are a moderator you can easily find out that I have been using chrome for browsing from the very beginning I joined up on this site!

hahahahahaha, I'm not that sad to check up on that sort of thing :)

• 3 weeks later...

API limitation annoys me. As a developer (amongst other things) I like the fact that on a droid I can do pretty much whatever I like.

Even RIM were better than that and didn't charge me a fortune for access to restricted APIs.

I guess this platform is targetted at the exact opposite of me since I don't use xbox live or any MS server products either!

API limitation annoys me. As a developer (amongst other things) I like the fact that on a droid I can do pretty much whatever I like.

Even RIM were better than that and didn't charge me a fortune for access to restricted APIs.

I guess this platform is targetted at the exact opposite of me since I don't use xbox live or any MS server products either!

With that API price model,they're aiming squarely at the commercial, business integration model for Exchange/M$ Office. I think it's more of a target @ Blackberry than Android for the moment?

TAT 2014 concept looks AMAZING, like Windows Phone 7 - Interesting concept!

g7_mOdi3O5E

From TAT's Website:

------------------

Swedish design company TAT, who has designed the popular Android UI and also has had some unspecified involvement in Windows Mobile shows off their concept what a mobile phone will look like in 2014, when cheap, flexible and transparent screens are ubiquitous, and interestingly it appears clearly inspired by Windows Phone 7 and its typography-themed user interface.

Hopefully this amazing design house does have a continuing influence on Windows Phone development, and will help bring these dreams to fruition in Windows phone 8

• 2 weeks later...

No piece of software on this planet is perfect without bugs. Atleast you are guaranteed that MS will do the updates and releases on a regular basis n update your phone directly! Also this is one of the best bits of this Phone.

Office applications have copy n paste, wont be long to get this feature in the immediate future.

MS and Adobe are working on bringing Flash to the platform pretty soon.

Initial reviews look quite promising. Though I like the concept of hubs on the home screen I am not entirely bought into the way it looks right now. We should see some customizations soon for this.

No piece of software on this planet is perfect without bugs. Atleast you are guaranteed that MS will do the updates and releases on a regular basis n update your phone directly! Also this is one of the best bits of this Phone.

Really? MS have a history of not always releasing updates/fixes till it suits them and there has been a few cases of this being 12-18 months after initial report... (Gets on his MS bashing soapbox :))

So does this mean the end of godawful network-specific ROMs which are based on software version 1.00 and seldom get updated to include the patches and upgrades that are released afterwards (Vodafone - take note)?

If one of the "best parts" of Windows Phone 7 is that it is easy to update, then the networks are going to have to allow that. Hopefully that means the end of customisation (and good riddance).

Incidentlly, wasn't cut and paste missing from the original iPhones, too?

So does this mean the end of godawful network-specific ROMs which are based on software version 1.00 and seldom get updated to include the patches and upgrades that are released afterwards (Vodafone - take note)?

If one of the "best parts" of Windows Phone 7 is that it is easy to update, then the networks are going to have to allow that. Hopefully that means the end of customisation (and good riddance).

Incidentlly, wasn't cut and paste missing from the original iPhones, too?

Wouldn't count on it. The operator specific is done for their own branding as well as adding network specific 'features and customizations'. Not saying I agree with it, but that is the way it is :)

Wouldn't count on it. The operator specific is done for their own branding as well as adding network specific 'features and customizations'. Not saying I agree with it, but that is the way it is :)

Well... Sucks to that. Anyway, I'll hopefully never have to buy a Smartphone from a network store again. My non-branded HD2 from CarPhones4UWarehouse or wherever works like a dream :)