The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Calling 350z owners past and present.

Mcgoo

Guys,

As you may have seen, my sup is currently for sale. I'm still not sure if I've made the right decision :innocent:and I'm after a bit of advise.

Top of my list to replace the sup is a 350z. I've always liked the look of them ( with nice wheels and a Nismo Kit) and think I fancy something a bit more 'modern'.

Now, I test drove an early one last summer and although I loved the way it drove and handled, I was pretty disappointed with the performance. (No surprise coming from a TT6 really.)

The problem is I've got the 350 itch again, but I still very much enjoy driving fast from time to time.

I've got it in my head now that the way to go is a supercharged 350z. I wouldn't be going for megga power just a reliable 380 to 400 bhp so I wouldn't feel like I was down grading from my sup.

Do any of you have any experience of a S/C 350z? I'm assuming that around the 380-400bhp mark it will feel as fast if not faster than my BPU sup?

Also how reliable are they at that level of power?

For those that have come to Supras from a 350z. Did you come this way for performance reasons? If so, would a supercharged 350 tempt you back?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just after some advise from people that have experienced both cars (I know there are a few on here). I wan't to be sure I don't regret selling the Sup as I really do love it.

Thanks.

Standard for standard I found my 350z massively outhandled my NA. I've not driven a TT but I would imagine straight line speed it would kill the 350z, though a supercharger would make it very interesting. One of the best features of the 350z was its ability to accelerate fast in almost every gear.

If you're serious about getting one sign up for 350zuk-com, great forum, pretty busy.

Interesting comments, i went from a singled Supra to a Skyline 350GT ( Grown up and elegant version of a 350Z with four seats and a boot) massive difference in power although, i always felt that the 350 feels like an N/A Supra engine with a bit more torque, they are quick but just take longer to get there;)

Handing wise i find that the 350 is quite lacking in that department, when compared to my Supra, but maybe i had a very well set up Supra,(or that my 350 needs seting up) as i have heard a vast difference in peoples opinions of how their Supra handles.

As said ask over at the 350Z forum for SC opinions, i would like to do that to mine but it is expensive, IMO the engines are not as strong as the supra, and are a little harsh at high RPM, but sute forced induction, although i wouldn't go for more than 400BHP without internal rebuild.

Interesting comments, i went from a singled Supra to a Skyline 350GT ( Grown up and elegant version of a 350Z with four seats and a boot) massive difference in power although, i always felt that the 350 feels like an N/A Supra engine with a bit more torque, they are quick but just take longer to get there;)

Handing wise i find that the 350 is quite lacking in that department, when compared to my Supra, but maybe i had a very well set up Supra,(or that my 350 needs seting up) as i have heard a vast difference in peoples opinions of how their Supra handles.

As said ask over at the 350Z forum for SC opinions, i would like to do that to mine but it is expensive, IMO the engines are not as strong as the supra, and are a little harsh at high RPM, but sute forced induction, although i wouldn't go for more than 400BHP without internal rebuild.

What tyres do you have on your 350? I'm surprised you're not happy with the handling, mine was superb standard. I replaced the bridgestones with falcon 452s, more road noise but great in wet or dry. Perhaps the extra weight yours carries causes the issue, something like 100kg over the 350 and nearly half a second slower.

I have Falken 452, same as the Supra, with 19" plus coilovers, the camber doesn't seem to go so far out as the 350Z when lowered, however the rear does have a bit, but i can't see that making that much difference, but i am comparing to the Supra, although it doesn't feel particularly different to the 350Z i have driven.

In comparison to my Supra it just doesn't have the turn in or the in turn stability of my Supra, and don't forget its a lot easier to pop the ass out with a single Supra coming out of turns;)

There is a lot of conjecture as to whether the JDM 350GT Skyline has 298BHP or the 350Z 276BHP (not been on the rollers)

it certainly doesn't feel any slower than a 350Z.

However I've had my 350GT six months now and although i do miss the turbo hit, i am learning to live with the drop in power, and besides i don't do the miles to use the power these days (reason for the Supra going) but the 350GT still has the torque to light up the tires and do those silly stunts that bring a smile to your face, when nobody is looking;)

I have Falken 452, same as the Supra, with 19" plus coilovers, the camber doesn't seem to go so far out as the 350Z when lowered, however the rear does have a bit, but i can't see that making that much difference, but i am comparing to the Supra, although it doesn't feel particularly different to the 350Z i have driven.

In comparison to my Supra it just doesn't have the turn in or the in turn stability of my Supra, and don't forget its a lot easier to pop the ass out with a single Supra coming out of turns;)

Actually, thinking about it my 350 had a non-standard rear offset camber, didn't notice until I changed the tyres and the garage pointed it out so that could account for the handling.

And you're right, I miss finding an open road, putting my foot down and having the car make me smile, certainly don't get that with my BMW.

I was tempted into a 350z, they do look lovely (don't like the dash that much though) & though they sounded great with a nice exhaust system. I thought they were fairly quick (hasn't driven a TT by this point) & the handling was pretty good! I ended up by a Supra in the end & when I went up against my friends 350Z we was both astounded how slow the 350Z, we both obviously thought I'd be much quicker with 2 turbo's but the Supra pulled away so quickly & just kept going.

I'd reading up in the 350Z forums, from what I understand their are loads of kits in the stages for power upgrades though the main question is reliability, which I have no idea on.

As mentioned if you don't mind the drop in power they are brilliant cars.

If you're after performance then beware; going forced induction (especially Turbo charging) is very expensive and costly on the 350z as compared to the Supra. I had strongly intended on buying the 350z before i made my mind on the Supra.

Having been a member on two 350z forums and speaking to people who have turbo charged their Zs to over 700hp, they STRONGLY recommend going with a supercharger IF you do decide to go FI. Once you go over 400bhp, uprating your internals is essential; forged conrods are needed as the standard rods are suspectible to being destroyed.

$ to boost, its not worth it imo and those that have been there and done it.

Ask Kevin Huntley on here though, he has a 700+ bhp example and a sub 10 second mental Supra. I dont know of he's back from abroad though.

If you're after performance then beware; going forced induction (especially Turbo charging) is very expensive and costly on the 350z as compared to the Supra. I had strongly intended on buying the 350z before i made my mind on the Supra.

Having been a member on two 350z forums and speaking to people who have turbo charged their Zs to over 700hp, they STRONGLY recommend going with a supercharger IF you do decide to go FI. Once you go over 400bhp, uprating your internals is essential; forged conrods are needed as the standard rods are suspectible to being destroyed.

$ to boost, its not worth it imo and those that have been there and done it.

Ask Kevin Huntley on here though, he has a 700+ bhp example and a sub 10 second mental Supra. I dont know of he's back from abroad though.

Unfortunately because like most modern engines the VQ35DE and the later HR version are built to a spec, and not over engineered unlike the fortunate few engines like the 2JZGTE, we are spoilt with it inherent strength, but there are actually few engines out there that will take being turbocharged or supercharged without some form of rebuild with uprated parts.

There are some that say the DE engine will not lend itself to FI, and there are some that say it will take 500BHP (only in the USA;))

A supercharger kit can be had for between £4 and £6K so about the same as going single on a Supra, but as turboing a DE engine is so costly i would be inclined to throw an LS3 engine in, they can be had for 3K and another 2-3K for the conversion and you have 500BHP and more torque, bolt on a supercharger for a reliable 650BHP;)

One of our Skyline 350GT owners (same engine and chassis) has a twin turbo set up and It has all |Cosworth internals, and makes around 600BHP but it has had its teething troubles

Why not go for a 370z it has 326bhp 0-100 12.8 still quite pricy though :)

The missus took one for a test drive yesterday (costing 35K from Nissan) and she said it was crap in terms of power etc. She also said that no one looked at it when she was driving so that's definitely a no-no for my missus.

She also went in a spin in a 350 GT Roadster on Saturday and her verdict was the same as the 370. The only positive is that both were comfortable and they felt very stable on the road.

I had a 350Z for two years, sold it this March.

Basically a good car, handles excellent, decent seats/driving position and equipment, reliable.

Phase one, two and three, ignore phase one, phase 3 is noticably better in many ways.

Identifiable by the bulge on the bonnet and LED rear lights. 313BHP

Weak points

Crappy squealing brembo discs, bin them and fit something like DBA grooved but not drilled with a good pad and it will track day all day with regular fluid changes.

Tyre noise, nice thick acoustic foam applied to the bottom of the boot carpet helps here so does the luggage compartment cover. Use noisey tyres and you'll be sorry as the bluetooth is drowned out.

Other than that, great car, phase 3GT is best buy.

I really like the 350z but i would never get rid of the TT6 for one unless i was not that bothered about power anymore.

Do what i have done!, Convince your girlfriend/wife to get one then you can have the best of both worlds !!!!

Were um i mean she hoping to get one in about 3 months, where looking for a black GT.

Were with this forum, learn allot from this site

http://www.350z-uk.com

Cheers guys.

So the general consensus is they are good cars that drive and handle well but are under powered - this is what I thought.

Has anyone been in a Supercharged 350z ? How do they compare? I can't watch videos at the moment cos they're blocked at work.

I like the sound of the LS engine :eyebrows: but realistically I think that would be too involved for me right now.

I'm thinking Supercharger, (Stillen stage 2 approx 380bhp) as I'm sure I can fit it myself to keep the costs down. But whether I do that or buy one that is already done it will be around 12 to 15k and I can't help thinking what I could do with 7k spent on my sup.:sly:

I'm also a little worried that with the 370z out now that the price of the 350z may plummet.

Mmmm, decisions, decisions. :innocent:

My mate has a 350z and although it is comfortable and sound stunning, it doesn't get the looks, I'm not really an attention seeking person, but cars are part of my life and I do get that warm feeling when I go down the road and people really seem to look and appreciate it, something that doesn't really happen in the 350.

Oh and a few weeks ago I was sat in the car and a little kid and his dad walked past, the kid then said to his dad 'daddy, is that a racing car?' I didn't hear what the dad replied with, but I just saw myself for a split second when I was this kids age and if I saw a really nice and racey looking car I would ask my dad the same question and for the rest of that day(or week) I felt so happy. I don't think you would get that in a 350;)

Oh and a few weeks ago I was sat in the car and a little kid and his dad walked past, the kid then said to his dad 'daddy, is that a racing car?' I didn't hear what the dad replied with, but I just saw myself for a split second when I was this kids age and if I saw a really nice and racey looking car I would ask my dad the same question and for the rest of that day(or week) I felt so happy. I don't think you wouldn't get that in a 350;)

Had that happen to me yesterday while I was waiting for the missus at Euston Station. The little kiddie must have only been about 4 years old, he stopped in his tracks & was pointing at the car going "Look daddy!" the old man gave me a thumbs up and I just smiled back.

Who said silver looks boring! :D

My mate has a 350z and although it is comfortable and sound stunning, it doesn't get the looks, I'm not really an attention seeking person, but cars are part of my life and I do get that warm feeling when I go down the road and people really seem to look and appreciate it, something that doesn't really happen in the 350.

Oh and a few weeks ago I was sat in the car and a little kid and his dad walked past, the kid then said to his dad 'daddy, is that a racing car?' I didn't hear what the dad replied with, but I just saw myself for a split second when I was this kids age and if I saw a really nice and racey looking car I would ask my dad the same question and for the rest of that day(or week) I felt so happy. I don't think you would get that in a 350;)

I used to think the Supra attracted attention, but since i have had the Skyline 350GT it has far more attention and positive comments than the Supra ever did:)

Kind of glad i didn't get a 350Z:tongue: