The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Snow time, what can I expect?

neo2810

This is why you run a beater, so you can keep the nice car in the garage during the shit weather :) My last Aristo was good going up snowy hills as the ABS/TRC system is actually rather effective, coming down was a different matter!

Ellis, you know the Adam and Eve pub? Got in their car park in the snow.

Sorry to be blunt but if the back end is as twitchy in rain as you say there are 3 things wrong.

1) Your skimping on cheep ass shitty tyres that could kill you by putting you in a ditch.

2) Your driving like a cock in inapropriate road conditions.

3) Both of the above :p

Not not realy no unless the roads are clear and you can be reasonably certain its not going to snow a lot more or you are prepaired to go very very slowly.

1) Purchased from Jurgen less than 2 weeks ago - tyres are what came with car.

2) By torrential rain conditions I do mean torrential. Overflowing drains, rivers in road etc, more like a skidpan than a road, not a light misting. And I state that I floor it in "snow" mode, of course it's inappropriate driving, I'm trying to get a feel for how the car reacts under different circumstances etc, and I found that without featherlight throttle response it was twitchy. I'd rather find this out now and if I can handle the Supra in bad weather or not and whether I'll need a second car for winter (like yourself) rather than finding this out in the middle of winter. So if taking the Supra out at all in bad weather is driving like a cock in inappropriate weather conditions, then guilty. If not, I'd hardly call determining that one needs to be careful of the throttle in bad weather "driving like a cock". Or how can putting the car in "snow" mode in bad weather be "driving like a cock" (aside from the flooring it part ;))?

3) To be honest I think it's more of a lack of driving experience with the Supra than either of those :innocent:

Sorry to be blunt but if the back end is as twitchy in rain as you say there are 4 things wrong.

1) Your skimping on cheep ass $#@!ty tyres that could kill you by putting you in a ditch.

2) Your driving like a cock in inapropriate road conditions. full throttle (or anywhere near it) in wet weather is not a good idea in a RWD car unless you have a good set of tyres, the geo is set up correctly and your pointing in a very strait line on a nice flat bit of road with no manhole covers or changes in surface. :p

3) Your geo is screwed up.

4) All of the above :p

I'm in agreement... My Sup drives as well in the wet as it does in the dry (within reason) and that's with brand new Falken 452's on the back, half worn Falken 451's (I think) on the front and I've only just had a full geo done which corrected a badly out camber.

When I replace the fronts with new rubber it should be even better.

A lot of frustration. Days or weather depending, weeks of your car laying up in yoiur driveway. Hairy moments when you do have the car on the road will also bring you to the brink of heart failure. Supra's and snow are like children and guns, dont mix them.

+1

also a chance of humiliation by a certain Fiat Punto diesel off the lights....:blush:

Believe me a supra is not for the snow !

Last year i had to abandon my car for 4 days , couldn't get the 600 yrds to my house, which yes is on an incline !

I held the rest of the traffic up for around 50mins as they were crawling behind me and getting stuck aswell, my ears must av been red hot lol.

It doesn't help having a na with an open diff. and large rear tyres , just waiting to happen :sos::bang:

Thats why i'm looking at buying a cheap run around eg. older subaru legacy this year, Awd and an estate car which is handy for space etc, as i'm always stuck for moving things !

Didn't really have many problems at the begining of this year when the snow came. I had a few heart stopping moments when the brakes locked and had to pump them but other than that it was good practice.

The hills in a layer of snow it was fine for me. I just put it in manu and D and it loved them :cool:.

The problem was getting it moving in the first place! Managed to stuck on a speed bump in an asda carpark for a little bit... :innocent:

well my 16" wheels will be going on this winter, My N/A 3.0 ltr soarer managed no problem this year never got stuck and live on a steep hill, 7 mph light on the gas, with 265 tyres on the back.

managed better than my mums focus cmax on the same hill.

hopefully not much difference this year, scariest thing though with auto box is when in drive and foot brake on rear wheels just push you on regardless and fronts sale over the ice so,on drive and off drive a bit a bit at a time

Your awareness certainly is at a peak in a Supra in the snow.

I will admit a manual or an NA is a lot easier to drive than an auto or a single turbo in the snow.

Only time I've ever had the ABS kick in was approaching a roundabout in the snow/ice.

I drive my Supra in the snow and ice every year, I've yet to die or end up in hospital, or even crash.

Even slight inclines are troublesome in the snow though, I had to reverse out of the works car park every day since trying to go forwards was getting me nowhere.

Edit: I should however add that I am awesome, and therefore YMMV.

Well, you are a mod god after all! ;)

Is your Supra an auto or manual, neo? The answer is critical!