The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Im Going Single In more ways than one!

wallis

I ran a TO4R on an Auto Supra, was at 550bhp, it destroyed the Auto box just FYI, its an old turbo now compared to the new stuff

You would be wise to spend your hard earned money with a garage that has done the single conversion many times not one that is about to learn the process, the Auto box needs a very special set up as not all ECU's support this well

Please take a step back, ask more questions and do the job once and do it right and you will be a happy man :)

Thx for advise mate, maybe im abit excited but agree it does want to be done once and done right corten millers are only an hour from me so i thought it was going to be quite practical for the project, maybe i am wrong!

Thx for advise mate, maybe im abit excited but agree it does want to be done once and done right corten millers are only an hour from me so i thought it was going to be quite practical for the project, maybe i am wrong!

You are not alone in getting excited about going single, it is an amazing car to drive when done well, I put myself in the group who has paid the price for getting ahead of myself and not doing enough research or using the right tuner from day one, this sometimes means you have to travel but that is small fry compared to a poor single set up or worse a car that does not work for you

You have to be 100% honest with yourself first, what do I really want to car to do for you, do not chase the pack, I have built several big single cars chasing the BHP dream and not thinking too much on how it will drive everyday, big mistake and huge costs

BPU is a great car on the Auto box, have you been in a single Auto at all, did you enjoy the drive, are you ready for the additional costs of running it once single etc etc

I think the single route is a great experience but one that can be very costly if not done right, there are plenty on here willing to share the experience on how to do it right :)

It's a big gamble mate. I'm sure they are very competent at what they do but if they don't know supras, especially the auto box as mentioned, then it isn't a good idea to take a gamble with your money like that.... unless it is a drop in the ocean to you of course.

By the end of it all expect to pay £8-10k. If it all goes wrong expect to pay a small fortune to get it fixed, usually a good few K.

Do a bit of searching on auto boxes and ECUs and you will see some of the problems people have had. Do some searches on single installs and you will see some of the problems people have had. Guys that know Supras have botched installs on the cars, nevermind people who don't know the cars.

Not looking to piss on your chips. I'm looking to follow you down the same road next year. I've been here long enough to know who to go to though and the pitfalls with taking it all on. There are a handfull of traders that I would make my way to and all of them are going to be 100's of miles away. I'll be making that drive though. At the moment I'm thinking Lee & Ryan, but there are a few others that I would happily give my project to.

Good luck with the project hope it all goes well.

I would be a little nervous using someone that havn't done a supra before but you have had some good advice from Scott and Jamie.

As said before as for mapping Id go with Ryan.

Good luck with the project hope it all goes well.

thx for the advise mate spot on, im glad thats cleared up the fuel rail and injector side of things, so 650's will be fine to drop straight in and just change to a bigger fuel pump.

Turbo wise its just because the price is right and ive read up there really solid and reliable, the kits are great but u pay through the nose for them, making it up yourself makes it abit more interesting to do, different i guess exciting!

Ive got to ask what turbo would u go for mr P out of interest?

Also i dont want to change my auto box/clutch so im only looking for 500-550bhp im not wanting to go crazy i do have a budget....lol

Aiming for 500-550hp, my personally choice would be an HKS turbo kit with with a Garrett GT35R. HKS now sell their turbo kits without the turbo so you can spec your own turbo. The Garrett GT3582R is a double ball bearing turbo, spools very quickly and gives good reliable performance. (see dyno in my garage HERE)

I would use SH650A Power Enterprise 650cc injectors, these are a straight swap for the stock injectors.

In terms of ECU choice and mapping I would go with someone who has a lot of experience with the Supra.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Thx again guys for the advise, it's seems the auto box can be a problem mapping for sure, I was intending to do all the work myself apart from the mapping and ecu side of things and my costing is nothing like 7-8k!

I'm going to take the car else where now as this advise seems like it's come from many people who have done this, and I don't want to risk anything now from the comments so far on the auto box problem,

thx again guys great advise all round

cheers

Thx again guys for the advise, it's seems the auto box can be a problem mapping for sure, I was intending to do all the work myself apart from the mapping and ecu side of things and my costing is nothing like 7-8k!

I'm going to take the car else where now as this advise seems like it's come from many people who have done this, and I don't want to risk anything now from the comments so far on the auto box problem,

thx again guys great advise all round

cheers

Let me know how much it costs you. If you are doing it properly it will cost you that kind of money.

By doing it properly I mean Oil Pump, Crank oil seals and a proper all-over service and check of the engine.

You can throw on a turbo kit and map it for 4k, do a search on those ones too ;)

Well things have been crazy this week so far, but after today i have now purchased everything apart from the EGT gauge.

My whole set up after lots of great advise from loads of great peepz is now as follows.

HKS 3037S Turbo Kit (GT30R) (Cheers Ade;))

HKS 660cc Inj

Walbro 255 Fuel pump

Full Race Spec Alloy Rad

Fluidyne 30 row oil cooler (For Auto Box)

AEM Stand alone ecu

Apexi AVC-R Boost Controller

Im really excited about the set-up and think it will run really well, im going to aim for 500bhp.

Thx again to everyone, and craig ill get those slabs cooling for u mate;)

You have won the lotto havent you?? Ive got my ear to the ground for a trailer, can get compression tester, boroscope and other gadgets for engine inspection :)

lol....im not going on holiday this year thats for sure!

I love gadgets!

Cheers again craig

im not running massive power so 650-660cc im told are fine and i got them at a price i just couldn't say no too :innocent:

can almost guarantee you get used to the power straight away and want more.

Be a good build dude, get the pics up and running, we do love a good pic or 2. :D