The mkiv Supra Owners Club

bought or built

Bailey.

I think Jamie has some good advice for you, if you are not on a budget then go for the single if you are then think twice about what going single. Thing is with the twin turbo setup they are quite reliable & I am sure the single is just as reliable but more likely for something to go wrong. An if it does then expect to have a decent wack behind you to find\fix the issue.

I think Jamie has some good advice for you, if you are not on a budget then go for the single if you are then think twice about what going single. Thing is with the twin turbo setup they are quite reliable & I am sure the single is just as reliable but more likely for something to go wrong. An if it does then expect to have a decent wack behind you to find\fix the issue.

Abseoutly, it is very good advice, with all my cars I've always wanted all my mods done yesterday!but this is going to take so much time searching for the right items, I am tempted by Paul whiffins t4 hks setup he has for sale, just think I could have a choice of turbo that I want and not one that is part of a kit!!?!! Just think it could be a start!

Clutch is on the tick list

If you start your own build and then get fussy and want the best of this and the best of that then allow £20k+ for the build. Mine was in excess of this but worth having what you want.

If you do buy one already done don't blow the whole budget on it but hold back £5k+ to make it exactly what you want.

I know a lot of people will say these figures are high but if you want it done properly then spend the money once!

If you work out what its going to cost you, then be sure to add another 3-4k on top for things that you'l forget or crop up on the way if your doing the conversion yourself!

Also you have to consider the time your going to be without the car, its rare for everything to go to plan on the first go at it :)

Unless you have your own workshop and can do 90% of the conversion in house it will be a LOT cheaper to buy a car already done. Finding one for sale at a sensible price that's been done right, and isn't just a nailed together nightmare someone wants rid of will be the hard part. Most people that do a proper build realise the financial loss in selling it, so tend to run them for a long time. Never, for one moment, underestimate what a proper job will cost, both build and maintenance wise. I daren't think what I have spent on my RWD Skyline, and it's got no shiny stuff, and is ongoing in costs (new pair of front discs, 590 quid today, new set of pads all round £480 needed soon. Tyres all round were £880 the other week. Mapping has cost over £800). Will need an engine re fresh over the winter, probably a minimum of rings and shells and a valve job. Buying these things is just the half of it.

Unless you have your own workshop and can do 90% of the conversion in house it will be a LOT cheaper to buy a car already done. Finding one for sale at a sensible price that's been done right, and isn't just a nailed together nightmare someone wants rid of will be the hard part. Most people that do a proper build realise the financial loss in selling it, so tend to run them for a long time. Never, for one moment, underestimate what a proper job will cost, both build and maintenance wise. I daren't think what I have spent on my RWD Skyline, and it's got no shiny stuff, and is ongoing in costs (new pair of front discs, 590 quid today, new set of pads all round £480 needed soon. Tyres all round were £880 the other week. Mapping has cost over £800). Will need an engine re fresh over the winter, probably a minimum of rings and shells and a valve job. Buying these things is just the half of it.

tbh chris im quite lucky in the fact my best mate has a garage of his own so between us we would be cracking through the fitting and any wiring etc, only thing that would be going to be done out house is any stainless or ali welding, shouldnt be needed really! um still totally mixed up, really scratching my head!!

a few calculations

turbo kit £3k

ecu etc £1600

mapping £600

drop ins £600

clutch £600

boost controller £265

belts,oils,plugs etc £500

bit of fab for greddy i/c £?

thats around £7k just off the top of my head. so if i put ten up i would be hoping to cover it from all angle, have i missed much???

already have yellow billys and uk brakes

Oil pump, water pump, thermostat, shells, rings, if not forged pistons and re bore, rod bolts, head freshen, gaskets and seals, it would be madness to bolt a single kit onto an old engine without giving it a decent refresh first. What about labour? If you don't factor in your own time you are deceiving yourself as to the true cost.

i know what your saying chris buit most people on here staying around the 550hp mark dont open the engine up, if there aiming for more than that than they do tend to strip down, am i wrong??? i will go along and price what you have listed. labour wise it will be done in spare time suchas evenings and sundays, hopefully wouldnt take to many though,thanks for your input, its nice to have someone who is works on performance cars all day long getting involved and giving advice to joe bloggs!!

You are kidding yourself if you think an old engine is going to like a 60 odd % power hike along with the thermal loadings this implies. It is still big power and needs an engine in perfect order. It's neglecting things like the basics that causes so many of these upgrades to founder. Budget for an initial preliminary engine rebuild, that's my advice.

You are kidding yourself if you think an old engine is going to like a 60 odd % power hike along with the thermal loadings this implies. It is still big power and needs an engine in perfect order. It's neglecting things like the basics that causes so many of these upgrades to founder. Budget for an initial preliminary engine rebuild, that's my advice.

i think your thought compared to how other have built there cars are a bit over the top, however i agree with your comments totally, so i have decided im enjoying the car as it is at bpu power levels, so i think as jamiep recommended, im just going to enjoy the car as this is the first car in 3-4 years that i really want too keep and enjoy. tbh i dont see that many 24 year olds with a 5-600hp supra, maybe there is a reason y! so i dont want to ruin it/leave myself short with doing a single build at this time, so save for that big house deposit and think about a single build later in life. it feels good, finally i think i may still have this car in 5/6 years time, thanks for all your crackin info and knoledge.

i think your thought compared to how other have built there cars are a bit over the top, however i agree with your comments totally, so i have decided im enjoying the car as it is at bpu power levels, so i think as jamiep recommended, im just going to enjoy the car as this is the first car in 3-4 years that i really want too keep and enjoy. tbh i dont see that many 24 year olds with a 5-600hp supra, maybe there is a reason y! so i dont want to ruin it/leave myself short with doing a single build at this time, so save for that big house deposit and think about a single build later in life. it feels good, finally i think i may still have this car in 5/6 years time, thanks for all your crackin info and knoledge.

Good plan.

I never touched my old stock engine when i went single with it but that car was like new, only 30,000 miles of stock boost and limiter in place before i went single.